PDA

View Full Version : Windows Installer 'pop-ups'

Cornish Jack
21st Dec 2008, 11:25
G'day all - and a Merry Xmas etc.
Each time I boot, a Windows Installer box appears and the green progress bar runs to about the 3/4 point then disappears. This happens twice during each boot but there are no other program indications and I can't find any Windows Installer files with Search. Any clues as to what's happening and how to stop it would be gratefully received.
TIA

green granite
21st Dec 2008, 12:36
Try running the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, which removes a few files that the Installer doesn’t do. But READ this first. Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301)

Cornish Jack
22nd Dec 2008, 13:37
Thank you GG.
It seems to be an interesting utility but from what I can glean from the MS 'Geekspeak' it doesn't do what I need - stop these partial appearances of the Windows Installer operating boxes. They don't appear to be causing any obvious damage and, on balance, I think I will leave well alone and put up with yet another of Redmond's oddities!:ugh:
Apropos of which, this is being sent via Konqueror in Suse 9. What an extraordinarily simple, straightforward method of internet browsing etc. This is my first time of use and what a revelation.... clever chap that Mr Torvalds.:D

green granite
22nd Dec 2008, 16:45
Apropos of which, this is being sent via Konqueror in Suse 9. What an extraordinarily simple, straightforward method of internet browsing etc.

Yes isn't it. :ok: