PDA

View Full Version : Changes to CAA rules ref ATPLH

T-Ruxpin
20th Dec 2008, 19:16
Can anyone shed any light on the following please??

I have just started looking into doing the ATPLH ground school/ exams. But I have been advised that I will now have to wait until May 09 for the new rotary based ground school/ exams to be produced.
If I had applied before Nov 08 then I would have 18 months to complete the training and sit the exams. Bugger!
Hopefully this will be good though, as things should now be more rotary specific?

I currently have 1100hrs (military) mostly all rotary, although not eligible for the bridging course, please can someone explain what exactly is required for me to achieve the relevant licence and start flying for either the oil rigs, police or air ambulance.

kind regards

helimutt
20th Dec 2008, 20:05
CPL or rotary ATPL theory exams passed. The CPL endorsement on your licence. Not sure if you'll have to do a full course or just set amount of training and type rated on say an R22 to be able do the CPL flight test if there isn't an option of an easy conversion for you.

Best advice is send an email to SRG at the CAA and give them all pertinent info and ask them exactly what you'll require. LASORS 08 should guide you.
Police and air ambulance not likely to employ you with less than 2000hrs, and multi experience, and not many jobs about.
Offshore, you'll need the JAR CPL/IR as minimum.

Lots of hoops to jump through i'm afraid.

paco
21st Dec 2008, 07:36
My students have been doing heli exams since 2007.

Where did you get the advice from?

As far as I am concerned you can start any time and complete within 6 months

Phil

Horror box
21st Dec 2008, 07:51
Whilst not eligible for a bridging course, as you are aware, all of your flying to date is taken into consideration. You need to pass the groundschool exams, and, as far as I am aware you can do the rotary course now, then as long as you have done a standards check in the last 12 months, you can open your license on your current military type. Then find a school to do an IR. Police will probably not be interested in you with less than 2-3000 hrs, but there are still plenty of jobs offshore once you have an IR if you look around, and are a bit flexible.

whenever
21st Dec 2008, 18:47
Hi T-Ruxpin,

While doing my CPL exams last year a guy at the CAA (Martin Marsh) told me that changes were afoot to all rotary exams although he had no details at the time. Sounds to me that these are now being phased in.

Martin Marsh is the man you need to speak to at CAA Gatwick, he is the guy that deals with QSPs at the CAA. A very helpful guy who will guide you down the shortest path to reach your goals. Ask him about any credits that the CAA may allow you, any exams you don’t need to do will save you time and money.

As for possible jobs.....well not the best time, but as you may not be starting the ground school until the middle of next year things may start to turn by the time you are ready to leave the forces. Some police forces will look at you once you have 1500hrs and unless you are one of the few (on Gazelle) then you will be multi engine qualified but I know of single engine guys getting jobs with the police.

If your budget will stretch then getting an IR will increase your chances but you will need to get a type rating on the IFR aircraft before you can start training. If you are currently twin engine then it's a six-hour conversion, if not then eight hours minimum.

choppertop
21st Dec 2008, 20:22
I think Martin Marsh has recently moved onto bigger and better things. But don't quote me.

whenever
22nd Dec 2008, 14:35
Choppertop,

You could well be right I haven't spoken to Martin for a few months. He has been my only real contact with the CAA and made the whole experience a pleasant one.

paco
9th Jan 2009, 16:06
My inspector as of this afternoon has not heard of any impending changes to regulations in the near future, certainly not in April, unless somebody higher than him is keeping it quiet for reasons best known to themselves.

phil

SASless
9th Jan 2009, 17:19
This Marsh fellow probably was found out...taken someplace dark.....and stood against a wall and shot.

Kind, effiecient, helpful, knowledgeable?

Certainly not approved conduct at the CAA I would think....surely he would have to be thought subversive and untrustworthy if guilty of those crimes against bureaucracy.

Max Contingency
10th Jan 2009, 09:05
Martin Marsh

I would also like to add my callsign to the list of those who have been very impressed by Martin and his positive attitude toward getting people through the maze of Flight Crew Licencing.

In my twenty plus years of dealing with that organization (which have included seeing them send my log book to someone else, having me study for exams that I did not eventually need to sit and keeping me waiting for over six hours at their miserable counter) Martin was the only member of staff there who I ever met with any common sense about him. His name was passed to me by e-mail from another aviator and I sought him out the next time I had dealings with the CAA, he lived up to his reputation and my ongoing problem was solved by return of e-mail that day. I am delighted for him, to hear that he may have been recognised and moved to better things and, who knows, maybe one day he might end up running the place.:ok: Until then, I suppose we had better get used to dealing with the muppets again. :{

misterbonkers
10th Jan 2009, 10:56
I just want to jump in and defend the current open counter service. Ive been down to use it half a dozen times now since 2003 and every time I have been dealt with in an efficient, fair and knowledgeable manner. One time I had made a mistake with a log book entry (forgot to stick a days flying in that was relevant to the application!) and they delayed closing the counter so that I could gather the appropriate evidence of the flying and so I still got a same day service and went home with my shiny new rating.

Another time I arrived later than the midday cut-off due to traffic and they still endeavored to sort things out (despite their being a larger than normal demand that day).

My advice to those wanting to use this service is (A) turn up before 8am and get in as soon as the building opens. (B) make sure you have EVERYTHING you need and it is all in order. Grab ticket number one and you'll be out by 10am.

chcoffshore
10th Jan 2009, 16:59
I had a new rating done in 20 minutes by a helpful counter girl!

paco
11th Jan 2009, 04:27
My experience with the people who actually do the work has always been positive - it's the bosses that need a reality check as to why they are there and who they are supposed to be serving.

Phil

Pandalet
12th Jan 2009, 08:17
No offense, but for what it costs to, say, get a rating added to your license, which is just a paperwork exercise (you've already passed the test, etc, for which you've paid separately), not only would I expect excellent service all the time, every time, I'd expect a cup of tea and a biscuit while I wait!

misterbonkers
12th Jan 2009, 09:27
Then we'd have to pay more money for them to have a member of staff to make us the tea and biscuit!

I suppose they could give us a voucher to take upstairs to the canteen...

Whirlygig
12th Jan 2009, 11:00
Or put the machine in the counter service room onto free-vend?

Cheers

Whirls

paco
12th Jan 2009, 12:43
I can't see why a TRE's signature couldn't be valid for 30 days while it is all done by post. It's nonsense to have everyone go into Gatwick every time so they can fly the next day.

Phil

windowseatplease
12th Jan 2009, 13:28
Just like the nonsense £110 they charge just for looking at a form and pressing "Print".

misbourne
12th Jan 2009, 19:14
Never mind free vend on the drinks machine, Its worth a trip to Gatwick just to check the girls out who work in PLD ;)

MartinCh
13th Jan 2009, 23:27
Its worth a trip to Gatwick just to check the girls out who work in PLD http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/wink2.gif

I'd say it's one of few places that has females oblivious to the status of (male) pilots. No 'wow', 'cool' etc.

I myself can think of better place to spend hundreds of pounds to much greater satisfaction :E Hope I won't have to or at least not often in future

Rotorhead412
22nd Jan 2009, 00:20
Question for T-Ruxpin!!!

I was looking at entering the military myself to do a bit o flying, question is, do you get much flying.. Like how long were you flying to achieve 1100hrs, and with who etc..?

From your personal experience, is military a route to follow in achieving high flight hours and experience, or how long were you in, did you buy out, why etc...

Sorry if it seems to personal, no need to answer what you'd like to keep to yourself! Thanks a mil! :)