PDA

View Full Version : Late afternoon sun on AARA 5 - 17 Dec

Tonkenna
20th Dec 2008, 16:32
Occasionally post the odd photo here and thought some of you might like this one taken on during a tanking trip this week...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/andytownshend/F3-2-1.jpg

Happy Christmas and New Year...

Tonks :)

goudie
20th Dec 2008, 19:18
Aidu, some people recognise a quality pic when they see one and that is quality.
Dunno why I'm bothering to reply to your post, I must be slightly bored.

Brewster Buffalo
20th Dec 2008, 19:23
Great photo..

thanks for posting it so we could all share.. and a merry xmas to you too.

Gen. Jack D Ripper
20th Dec 2008, 19:37
AIDU

I think you'll find it's a Tornado F3.

spanners123
20th Dec 2008, 19:39
Oh dear, how does is go........WAH!

goudie
20th Dec 2008, 19:51
I think you'll find it's a Tornado F3.

Are you sure? It may look like a Tornado F3 but AIDU is an ex spurt on all things military. Aircraft recognition being his best subject.

Dengue_Dude
20th Dec 2008, 19:54
. . . would that be Blue Circle Airways???

Nice pic though!

Merry Christmas

VinRouge
20th Dec 2008, 20:16
Didnt Know the F3 was in the desert.

Gen. Jack D Ripper
20th Dec 2008, 20:18
Oh I'm sure. I see the damn things almost everyday F3's at work, Typhoons & F3's at home.

:ok:

TEEEJ
20th Dec 2008, 20:20
Superb image.

:ok: :D

Mactlsm1
20th Dec 2008, 23:30
As TEEJ says its a cracking shot, and considering that its taken trough a canopy/FD window there's no distortion/relection - A Cracking shot of................... an F3 :D

Art Field
21st Dec 2008, 10:23
Ah, memories Tonks, thanks for the pic.

BEagle
21st Dec 2008, 14:28
Very nice piccie, Tonks!

Your only trade that day?

;)

Dan Winterland
21st Dec 2008, 14:52
Obviously. Not much left of the Air Force these days!

MerryChrimbo Tonks.

Tonkenna
21st Dec 2008, 18:48
Your only trade that day?

Ha ha ha Beagle... not far off! Just F3s on that sortie but enough to make it fun.

Thanks for the comments guys... hi to Art, Dan and Beags:) and have a great Chritmas all...

Tonks :)

BEagle
21st Dec 2008, 19:20
Hi again, Tonks!

Out of interest, which bŁoody stupid ATP-56B formation is that guy in? Is it 'observation' or 'buddy cruise'?

One hears that ATP-56C is on the way - any dates? And have they $hitcanned the ridiculous 'observation', 'reform' and 'buddy cruise'....? Please say yes!

spannersatKL
21st Dec 2008, 20:15
I'll send a few quid to help for heroes for a copy?

SirToppamHat
21st Dec 2008, 21:25
VinRouge:
Didnt Know the F3 was in the desert

I didn't know AARA5 had been moved so far away ...

Lovely picture, thanks for posting it.

STH

D-IFF_ident
22nd Dec 2008, 08:40
Not ATP-56(C) I'm afraid, but Change 1 to ATP-56(B) was released on 14 Dec: RAF - Air to Air Refuelling - ATP-56(B) (http://www.raf.mod.uk/downloads/airtoair56b.cfm)

Alas, 'Observation' and 'Reform' are still there, and will doubtless remain until the USN can be persuaded otherwise. :cool:

Edited to add - Cool pic btw!

BEagle
22nd Dec 2008, 09:31
Thanks, D-IFF!

Nice and sunny where you are?

Regarding the Spam Navy bolleaux of 'observation' and 'reform', this is the sort of thing which seems so stupid:

Observation Position (Fixed Wing Only)

The initial formation position for a receiver joining a tanker. This is normally echelon left for all receivers. So why not call it echelon left?

a. Drogue Equipped Tanker

(1). Availability of Observers. Refer to the tanker’s National Annex to determine if an observer is located in the rear of the aircraft.

(2). Without Refuelling Observers. Receivers should initially be co-altitude with the tanker, at least one receiver wingspan outboard of the tanker wingtip and well forward, to be observed and identified by the tanker pilots.

(3). With Refuelling Observers. The observation position for fixed wing aircraft is stepped down, aft of the tanker wingline and one receiver wingspan outboard of the tanker wing.

So, take your copy of ATP-56B with you and look up the crew disposition of each tanker...? Why not just standardise on (2)?

Oh well, more work to do to see which particular wheel has been re-invented this time, I guess....:rolleyes:

By the way, I hear your new jet is delayed awaiting a 'more robust mission system'? At least that's what Flight International stated. Sir only needs to ask....;)

Art Field
22nd Dec 2008, 16:04
Having left 13 years ago the sense of deja vue prevails strongly.. Where is the ops room door this week? Never mind, Happy Christmas 101.