PDA

View Full Version : FireFox 3

Brewster Buffalo
20th Dec 2008, 12:53
Every now and again I get an invitation to upgrade to 3 which so far I've resisted.

On the theory that by now any glitches have been ironed out should I say yes?

Current version is been upgraded to 2.0.0.20 as I write..

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Dec 2008, 14:12
I run FF 2 on one box and FF3 on another, for testing purposes. They have different "glitches", in that the same HTML/CSS/JS will sometimes produce different results on the two versions. (I too get annoyed when the FF 2 installation keeps wanting to upgrade itself to FF 3 - I don't want it to do that, I've got it set up exactly how I need it thank you very much.)

Edit to add: oh, and some of the more horrible bugs in FF 2 are still there in FF 3.

dazdaz
20th Dec 2008, 14:50
Updated to FF 3.0.5 yesterday all working fine.

Go on, take the plunge, you know you want to.

green granite
20th Dec 2008, 15:02
Been running V3 since the beta release with no real problems other than the slightly quirky bookmarks thingy.

I also use the beta of V3.1 a lot and don't have any particular problems with that either.

Mike6567
20th Dec 2008, 16:07
Running FF 3 for some time with no problems (since yesterday FF 3.0.5).
Rather slow to start nowadays - but I use it with Adblock Plus, KeyScrambler, McAfee Site Adviser and NoScript.

Brewster Buffalo
20th Dec 2008, 19:15
Go on, take the plunge, you know you want to.

but what does FF 3 give me over FF 2??

Saab Dastard
20th Dec 2008, 19:52
BB, I'm with you on this.

I've got FF2 just the way I want it. What does FF3 give me that I have to have? What will I lose?

SD

Loose rivets
20th Dec 2008, 21:43
I'm on 3.0.4 and have some really annoying pop-ups starting to appear. When One closes the browser, the things are lingering on the desktop. One will write down the offending items next time.

As I've mentioned, I've lost my History's ability to search by dates. I really liked that. Go back n number of days...got me to the target so quickly.

Tarq57
20th Dec 2008, 22:03
I recently "took the plunge" and changed to FF3, without drama. Couple of slightly quirky things happened, and a couple of browser crashes, hasn't happened since updating again to 3.0.5.
All bookmarks/settings carried over just fine.
This last update of FF2 will be the last; it is no longer going to be supported. Basically means that any vulnerabilities that are discovered in the future in FF2, you'll have to learn about and mitigate for yourself (if possible.)

Keef
21st Dec 2008, 01:14
I'm a Firefox junkie. On this machine I've got 2.0.0.18 that I no longer use, and 3.0.5 which I use sometimes, and Gran Paradiso (the Beta version, now at 3.0.6 Pre) that I use most of the time.

I also had the two "further out" versions that are in test (Minefield and the other one), but after a year of not having the plugins I like, and never finding a bug, I decided to stop being a masochist and removed those.

All the settings I liked on Firefox 2 carried over automatically into 3, and Gran Paradiso, Minefield, etc. If I load a new shortcut into the shortcut toolbar on one version, it's there on all of them. That's clever!

I did download a newly-launched plugin to protect my passwords etc, but all it did was stop automatic logins using passwords, which rather defeated the whole object of storing passwords in Firefox.

Loose rivets
21st Dec 2008, 05:41
'er indoors just hollered from the kitchen. She'd seen the warnings about IE, and at last wanted FF. I had a quick look on the existing IE to see what versions were about, and got a warning in red. Some of the listed addresses were dangerous! and again the text was red. Yep, just Mozilla Firefox.

call100
21st Dec 2008, 13:11
Using a fully updated FF3 with absolutely no problems.....In fact never had a glitch or a crash in any versions.....:ok:

The Flying Pram
21st Dec 2008, 15:03
Changed over from 2.0.0.18 to 3.0.4, about a month ago, and further updated to 3.0.5 the other day. It does seem a bit faster and uses less memory with multiple tabs open, but I HATE the "library" compared to the old "bookmarks" - what the hell were they thinking of? I'm not alone on that either, plenty of complaints on the Mozilla forum.

Keef
21st Dec 2008, 15:43
What's "Library"?

I've got Firefox 3.0.5 and GranParadiso 3.0.6pre and both of those have the same Bookmarks tab I've always had.

amanoffewwords
21st Dec 2008, 15:52
The foxmarks extensions is very useful for synching your bookmarks if you use FF on different PCs.

FF3 is certainly faster and more reliable than FF2 IMHO.

And IE8 is gettting there too (from a user point of view it is much better than IE7..less controlling anyway)

green granite
21st Dec 2008, 17:39
What's "Library"?

It's the new name for the way the bookmarks are stored and organised. I don't particularly like it either hence my earlier comment about it being "quirky"

Loose rivets
22nd Dec 2008, 07:20
As promised. Half a screen full of Net Flix ad. With the FF logo top left.

Shows as browser is closed.

Also this, behind the above on a similar screen.

Sorry but the browser you are using is currently not supported by our product.

* Privacy Policy |
* End User License Agreement |
* TRUSTe Certified |
* Uninstall

© 2008 Make The Web Better, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Provided by Make The Web Better under license from PixFusion LLC to U.S. Patent Nos. 5,623,587 and 6,351,265.

Don't want companies doing battle on my computer.:suspect:

dazdaz
22nd Dec 2008, 14:06
Saab....."I've got FF2, what does FF3 give me"
FF 3.0.5 also gives a security update.......Security Advisories for Firefox 3.0 (http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox30.html#firefox3.0.5)

Unless FF2 does not suffer from the FF3 vulnerability, no probs.

Atlas Shrugged
22nd Dec 2008, 21:54
(I too get annoyed when the FF 2 installation keeps wanting to upgrade itself to FF 3

Easy fixed......uncheck the box that says "Check for Updates" :ok:

Loose rivets
23rd Dec 2008, 00:16
I've got 3 0 5, but don't see any change.

I have a "Last modified" column in History, but there's nowt in it. So, same issue, just can't search by date/days ago.

EDDNHopper
23rd Dec 2008, 22:44
What does FF3 give you? Not much, IMHO, except some little (or not so little) annoying glitches:

I changed over to 3 on one computer several weeks ago, and will NOT do so on the other - unless they get that location bar issue sorted out, and the download history which is deleted every time I delete my private data, etc.etc. Much less ways to tweak FF the way YOU want it. Lots of community complaints and Bugzilla entries along the lines of "if I wanted MS IE I would have got MS IE".

I sincerely hope that with 3.1 they get it right - I was a FF2 fan.

BOAC
24th Dec 2008, 14:30
Whilst on't subject - I have managed to get a reasonable sized search bar via CSS instead of the squitty little one but HOW do I get the option (in Google) to search the various fields they offer, eg Images, Maps, News etc?

Brewster Buffalo
24th Dec 2008, 20:14
When I started this thread I was downloading Firefox 2.0.0.20 and I am still downloading it! Either it is the mother of all downloads in size or its got stuck.:eek:

FF 2 still working ok though.

call100
25th Dec 2008, 02:39
Whilst on't subject - I have managed to get a reasonable sized search bar via CSS instead of the squitty little one but HOW do I get the option (in Google) to search the various fields they offer, eg Images, Maps, News etc?
You just type in your search and click on Images etc on the google results page....
Why would you need a bigger search bar?? There is no restriction on what you can type into the standard one...
I have 12 search engine options in the search bar including google....

I think that many of the problems people have is more to do with their systems than FF otherwise we would all have problems.....