PDA

View Full Version : Mr Spock or Homer?

PAXboy
20th Dec 2008, 12:50
Here is a feeble attempt to lighten the mood in the (allegedly) festive season. :E

There are two types of travellers characterised by TV's Homer Simpson and Mr Spock, a study suggests.
Professor Glenn Lyons, of the University of the West of England (UWE), in Bristol, says we make our travelling decisions along two lines.
Mr Spock types will use every source of information available to make an informed and economical choice of how to get from A to B.While the Homers have a much more laid back approach to journeys
BBC NEWS | UK | Drivers either Homer or Mr Spock (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7793369.stm)

Whilst the BBS users 'Drivers' in their headline, it is clear that the theory is about any journey in any mode.

Which kind are you? Since I pose the question, it's only fair to answer it first ...

I always set out as Spock but, if the journey goes wrong, then I try to be more Homer about it. In my youth, I just got uptight. I shall try not to be uptight when I have to drive 250miles (400Ks) to Devon on Christmas Eve. :sad:

Like all good research, the media has found the moment when they state the obvious:
"Research shows that an individual's travel choices are bound up with many factors including their personality, habits, family structure and social networks."
Well, Duh!! :rolleyes: