PDA

View Full Version : New CAA regulations for ATPLH

T-Ruxpin
19th Dec 2008, 16:55
Can anyone shed any light on the following please??

I have just started looking into doing the ATPLH ground school/ exams. But I have been advised that I will now have to wait until May 09 for the new rotary based ground school/ exams to be produced.
If I had applied before Nov 08 then I would have 18 months to complete the training and sit the exams. Bugger!
Hopefully this will be good though, as things should now be more rotary specific?

I currently have 1100hrs mostly all rotary, although not eligible for the bridging course, please can someone explain what exactly is required for me to achieve the relevant licence and start flying for either the oil rigs, police or air ambulance.

kind regards

Spanish Waltzer
19th Dec 2008, 17:12
As you are posting in the mil forum I take it your 1100 hrs are mil hrs? I would strongly suggest you wait until you have the requisite hrs to do the bridging package as this will make it far easier and cheaper.

However if that is not possible for some reason then I suggest you initially google Lasors which is the CAA bible for all things licensing related and more. It should answer all your questions.

Once you have had a good read if you are still in need of info either contact the CAA - they are very approachable particularly if you make it clear you have tried to find your answer first in Lasors - or I suggest you ask the question on the rotorheads forum - there is a wealth of experience and knowledge amongst the usual suspects there and if you do not plan to make use of the mil bridging package then their advice is probably more relevant than what you might get from the mil forum.

As a quick reply to the second part of your question, most Police & Air Ambulance jobs would require 1500 to 2000 hrs minimum with other relevant experience although of course there are the occasional exceptions.

Hope that helps

SW

Gnd
19th Dec 2008, 17:13
I think it is as simple as that the GS providers have not produced the coursework now required by the CAA. It use to be that you could do the A course for the CPL/ATPL regardless of RW or FW.
The CAA has now stated that RW do RW stuff and FW do FW. This is a good thing I think and once the course providers have the question banks and course work ready, you can continue.
Nothing sinister as far as I can see but you might like to check with Beagle, he is normally good on CAA stuff. :)

timex
19th Dec 2008, 17:34
Try Bristol Ground school (Alex Wittingham), they will have the best take on this.

paco
11th Jan 2009, 04:31
There has been a specific helicopter ATPL(H)/CPL(H) available since October 2007. The interim system ceased in Nov 2008.

As far as anyone knows outside the deepest recesses of the CAA there are no changes to the regulations due any time soon. I refer to the future reclassifying of the CPL(H) as the ATPL(H) (VFR) and the introduction of a new, lower standard, CPL(H). Even when that happens, any licence changes will be paperwork exercises, so any work done now will not be wasted.

Phil