PDA

View Full Version : More JAA Conversion Q's

pilotcpb
19th Dec 2008, 16:04
So, I have the Class 1 Medical and I am about to start a course to sit all 14 ATP theory exams. When I am finished with the theory exams I will do the ME/IR bit and enter bankruptcy :} I am converting FAA - JAA, and I am using a distance course in the US that leads to a UK ATPL.

My questions:

If I end up with 14 exams, Class 1 medical, and a CPL/ME all from the UK can I go to a cheaper country (i.e. Czech Republic) to do the IR? Can you mix and match JAA training from different countries to end up with the ATPL? I am trying to keep costs low...:E

When I finish this bit and have a CPL/IR/ME is it considered frozen until I take another checkride? How does one "unfreeze" an ATPL? I ask because I have over 3000 hours and over 2000 hours in a multi crew environment (all in the USA), meeting the standards of 1500+ hours total time and 500+ multi crew.

Thanks! :ok:

Bearing 123
20th Dec 2008, 09:23
Yes... you can do your modular training any where you like as long as the FTO is JAA certified.
With your hours, I'm pretty sure it's just a paperwork exercise, but you might have to do an MCC course although its very unlikely given the amount of multi-crew time you have they should just issue the ATPL as long as you have a rating on a multi pilot aeroplane.

Finals19
20th Dec 2008, 09:40
All I would add to that is make sure that you are proficient at flying a small light twin and that your NDB tracking / holding skills are sharp. I actually found it quite tough to revert back to a low powered light aircraft with a lot of manual / clockwork instrumentation, and my NDB skills sucked!

Be wary of the trap regarding doing your ATPL exams / CPL training in the UK and then your IR elsewhere (in JAA land) There are a few (not all) large operators that get quite agitated if you have not done all your conversion training in UK airspace, this counting particularly for the IR. All the more important if you have 1000's of hours time, but none within the UK FIR's.