PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Night VFR in Europe & Mode S

Torquetalk
19th Dec 2008, 11:53
Anyone got any knowledge or experience of VFR night regulations in the following countries? e.g if allowed for private helicopter flights, and if mode C is sufficient or if mode S mandatory?

France
Italy
Croatia
Hungary
Austria

Appreciate any info.

Thanks TT

Shawn Coyle
19th Dec 2008, 11:58
I thought all these places made night IFR.

Torquetalk
19th Dec 2008, 12:09
Not necessarily; Germany for example has night VFR, with dedicated corridors (not sure if these are manadatory though). Mode S is required for night.

Appreciated, Germany wasn't in my list...

TT

skadi
19th Dec 2008, 13:15
Not necessarily; Germany for example has night VFR, with dedicated corridors (not sure if these are manadatory though). Mode S is required for night.

Appreciated, Germany wasn't in my list...

TT

These corridors are the military NightLowLevelRoutes, flown VFR/IFR and are normally forbidden for civil NVFR ( if activated )

skadi

Torquetalk
19th Dec 2008, 13:59
Thanks. May have been a bit misinformed there.

Runway101
19th Dec 2008, 14:42
Speaking of NVFR Germany, I flew from Switzerland to Germany a couple of weeks ago. After I filed the flight plan that mistakenly ended a few minutes into the night, DFS called me and asked me to amend my VFR flight plan and to use IFR reporting points for my route and a a predetermined altitude. Nothing else was required (filed my flight plan using dfs-ais, it's free and a plan is required for cross border flights unfortunately).

No idea on your original question though.

Torquetalk
19th Dec 2008, 15:24
Yes, Switzerland is not part of the Schengen agreement, so flight plan and customs required.

Out of interest, were you mode S equipped?

TT

maeroda
19th Dec 2008, 15:55
Italy NVFR:
allowed only for NVFR equiped helicopters and pilot with NVFR endorsment or IR rating.
Trasponder mode "C".
If helicopter is carrying passengers must be multi engine, if flying solo could be single engine.
FPL is mandatory.
In Italy there aren't NVFR routes......day routes and night minima apply.
Must check if airports are available; most are closed from 11:00PM to 05:00AM LT.
T/O and landing outside aerodromes only on night airfields or helipads certified by authority.

Night traffic in VFR areas is allmost non esistent apart some few HEMS flights.

Basicaly youre alone!

Cheers

Maeroda

Runway101
19th Dec 2008, 16:21
Out of interest, were you mode S equipped?
Yes, Garmin 330 Mode S transponder.

Torquetalk
19th Dec 2008, 16:27
Thanks Maeroda, really useful.

Alone in the sky ain't so bad; fewer bods to bump into :)

TT

Runway101 - alles klar

skadi
19th Dec 2008, 16:44
Yes, Switzerland is not part of the Schengen agreement, so flight plan and customs required.

TT

Thats history, a couple of days ago ( 1. December?? ) Switzerland became part of the Schengen agreement, so no customs anymore. I am not sure about flightplan right now.

skadi

maeroda
19th Dec 2008, 21:53
Schengen or not......if you're going to cross international FIR boundaries VFR FPL is already mandatory to and from Italy.

Runway101
20th Dec 2008, 05:00
Switzerland Schengen for air traffic (at least for PAX at ZRH) starts in March as far as I know, but I am not sure how that will affect the flight plan requirement and if that is even related.

Flight plan is not only required when the destination is across the border, it's required every time you transit the other countries airspace. Example: When I am flying from Switzerland to Switzerland, but I fly over German and Austrian territory (ie. sight seeing tour Lake Constance) I have to file a plight plan and mention in the route or remark that I come into their airspace. They will then also forward the flight plan to the other countries too.

There are some special agreements in place which exempt you from the flight plan requirement though, such as LSZR to EDNY and vice versa. You don't need a flight plan between these two airports and there are probably similar agreements at other places.

skadi
20th Dec 2008, 07:46
According to the German AIP VFR ENR 1-19 a flightplan from and to Schengen Memberstates has to be filed only if the regulations of the country concerned require this and/or if during the flight, the territory or airspace of a non-schengen country is affected.

skadi

Torquetalk
20th Dec 2008, 09:49
That clears that up nicely: We flew Germany - Austria a week back and filed even though we reckoned we didn't need to - better safe than sorry, eh?

TT