PDA

View Full Version : NOTAMs for Military Users

Mr Bridger
19th Dec 2008, 11:21
Google Earth Notams (http://cid-ccc05cf043b8d688.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Public)

Looking for some feedback.

The address above will take you to an online storage facility, where you can download a Google Earth KMZ file displaying Notams across europe. this could be of enormous use as:
1. only one person required to plot several thousand notams
2. can be accessed from any internet terminal
3. sourced from NATS/AIS bulletins including all aerodromes,en-route & warnings (could be adjusted to include UK Q/U/V/Y & Z series)
4. every notam is plotted according to the text (not where its believed to be)
5. cannot be moved accidently by crews as they check notams
6. allows a check of an operating area quickly, without having to read every notam issued for the particular FIR

Please download play with it on GE, and let me know what you think. I am keen to get this out to the world at large (starting with the RAF) as a working product, updated every 2 hours, including military notams.

Farfrompuken
19th Dec 2008, 18:04
Wow!!!

How is the file updated??

Would it do it automatically or users would retrieve it from a website??

Awesome work.

Been Accounting
19th Dec 2008, 19:00
Is there a trick to getting a download?

I see the Icon with Google Earth NOTAM but cannot get a KMZ file to download.

gearontheglide
19th Dec 2008, 19:13
Click on the icon, it then moves to the right. Above where it was you will see 'download' as a link. Click on that and I saved mine to a temp folder. Once there, and having GE open, double click on the GE file in the temp folder and the data appears in GE.

plans123
19th Dec 2008, 23:07
Shame its not IGS friendly, it might actually get used then by the people that might get the best use out of it. I've just looked at it on a standalone though and it does look very useable. I do like the 3D layout of the airspace reservations, which looks remarkably like another airspace control system.

Been Accounting
20th Dec 2008, 08:09
Google Earth has lots of Aviation applications - Of course I only see the civil applications.

See Geluidsnet: Geluidsnet (http://www.geluidsnet.nl/en/geluidsnet/)

or go straight to http://radar.vlieghinder.nl/

It might be worth listing Aviation KMZ/KMLs in a sticky in "Computer/Internet Issues & Troubleshooting".

Shackman
20th Dec 2008, 09:36
Superb piece of kit - just what we need. Congratulations on some excellent programming there Mr B. Now just add the LFAs, DUAs and a way of booking in and we could call it .....errm it will come to me! That was it - ALFENS! Unfortunately have not had the chance to try it on the Sqn but no doubt IGS/DII/Disknet will put their respective oars in and make it unusable. We could also put it on the laptops we have for landaways and electronic planning - oh no sorry we can't take them away or log on to t'internet with them either! Isn't IT wonderful.

Edited 'cos I couldn't remember ALFENS - or was that just wishful thinking

Gnd
20th Dec 2008, 10:06
I think that is fantastic - I am going to use it on my PC so tough mamories to DII et-al!!!!!!

Green Flash
20th Dec 2008, 11:27
Could it display sigmets too?

Mr Bridger
5th Jan 2009, 09:34
Happy New Year to One & All

Now that I'm back to work, I shall endevour to post a daily notam file. The use of MySpace is temporary, and as interest builds I hope to find a more suitable method of distribution, & a more regular update period.

Thanks to those who have taken the time to add feedback: more required so please pass it to your colleagues for perusal and comment: if enough information comes back we can adapt this to become an all encompassing system managed through a single point in the RAF.

gpn01
5th Jan 2009, 12:00
Great idea as it gives a quick overview of stuff that's all too easily missed on the printouts. If only something similar could be officially adopted by the Civ & Mil authorities.

Wader2
5th Jan 2009, 12:46
What we need is someone in Air Command to place a task on A6 to get Google Earth into Dii.

Oh well, it was just a thought.