PDA

View Full Version : New ISP gave me dodgy IP now I'm banned...

RJM
18th Dec 2008, 14:27
Question: When you change ISP, does the new ISP provide you with a new IP? I have recently changed ISP and have been instantly banned from my professional forum for having a blacklisted IP.

I checked with the forum admin and they directed me to spamhaus and cbl.

Here's what cbl says at CBL Lookup for 203.171.192.32 (http://cbl.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi?ip=203.171.192.32)

ATTENTION: At the time of detection, this IP was infected with, or NATting for a computer infected with a high volume spam sending trojan - it is participating or facilitating a botnet sending spam or spreading virus/spam trojans.

ATTENTION: if you simply repeatedly remove this IP address from the CBL without correcting the problem, the CBL WILL eventually stop letting you delist it and you will have to contact us directly.

This is identified as the Ozdok/Mega-D spambot

You MUST patch your system and then fix/remove the trojan. Do this before delisting, or you're most likely to be listed again almost immediately.

Any ideas what I can do? I'm lucky I can still post here (famous last words?). I use a MacBook Pro running MacOS 10.5.5.

Any help would be appreciated!

preduk
18th Dec 2008, 14:47
Have you spoken to your ISP? They should be able to help.

Keef
18th Dec 2008, 15:37
Your IP address identifies which ISP you are using.

It sounds as if you have chosen one that accommodates spammers. Unless they change that policy, or it was a brief one-off (or a botnet involving some of their customers, now sorted) it will keep on happening.

The best advice, in that case, is to change ISP (again).

Gertrude the Wombat
18th Dec 2008, 15:50
How do you get your IP address? If it's a permanent one personally allocated to you, ask the ISP for a different one. If it's a dynamic one, then if you disconnect for long enough there's a fair chance you'll get a different one on reconnect. In my case turning off the cable modem and router overnight does it.

airborne_artist
18th Dec 2008, 15:54
In my case turning off the cable modem and router overnight does it.

Unless your ISP only has two customers, 10 mins should do it!

Saab Dastard
18th Dec 2008, 16:05
It could be that the entire block of addresses has been banned / blacklisted, rather than a single address within the range allocated to the ISP - in this case 203.171.192.0 - 203.171.207.255.

See the details here. (http://wq.apnic.net/apnic-bin/whois.pl)

SD

Bushfiva
18th Dec 2008, 16:58
See the details here. (http://wq.apnic.net/apnic-bin/whois.pl)

Oh you tease, you. Givvus another hint :}

You'd have thought Hutchinson would have noticed by now with so much blocked.

Saab Dastard
18th Dec 2008, 17:34
OK - the hint is: copy and paste the IP address in...;)

It's only about 4000 addresses, 16 x 254.

SD

Gertrude the Wombat
18th Dec 2008, 19:02
Unless your ISP only has two customers, 10 mins should do it!

Most Virgin cable modems are running 24/7, and a punter can keep their IP address for months or years. There's no guarantee that a quick power cycle will get a new IP, though it's worth a try if you're in a desperate hurry.

Oilandgasman
18th Dec 2008, 20:56
go www.astahost.com/Change-ip-Address-t15826.html and all is explained. If this seems like a lot work, goggle "how do I change my IP address" and lots of helpful suggestions.

Saab Dastard
18th Dec 2008, 21:11
If the computer is connected to a home network, with the router then connected to the ISP network, then that will just change the IP address of the PC on the home network.

And even if the PC is directly connected and does change address, it is going to be from the same IP range - all of which may be blacklisted.

SD

parabellum
18th Dec 2008, 22:17
Would using a programme such as Anonymizer help?