PDA

View Full Version : Question: Seniority and type rating

Just a spotter
18th Dec 2008, 13:16
Reading another thread on the board (here (http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/354992-flybe-bq400-captains-red-face-3.html#post4598581)), got me thinking.

It is possible, or common/not uncommon, for the more senior (in terms of total hours and/or rank) pilot to have fewer hours on type or hold a lesser "on-type" rating than the other flight deck member(s)?

If so, in a situation similar to that described in the thread, where the Captain as PF is not certified to land the aircraft in the prevailing weather conditions and the FO was, can the Captain transfer PF to the FO and allow the landing to take place?

JAS

TopBunk
18th Dec 2008, 14:01
JAS

In the company where I work, this would not have arisen, as everyone is AWOPS (low vis) qualified from completion of the conversion course. Other companies obviously have different ways of doing things.

My company also restricts low vis landings (below Cat 1) to Captain only handling.

bucket_and_spade
18th Dec 2008, 14:13
My company also restricts low vis landings (below Cat 1) to Captain only handling.

Yes, same in my company. The other pilot has to be suitably qualified too i.e. the FO still needs to be LVP qualified for the approach to be commenced.

TopBunk
18th Dec 2008, 15:40
B & S
In the company where I work, this would not have arisen, as everyone is AWOPS (low vis) qualified from completion of the conversion course.

This includes 200 hours FO's;)

Just a spotter
18th Dec 2008, 18:20
Thanks Chaps!

JAS

Peter47
21st Dec 2008, 18:42
A few years ago BA retired their Capts at 55 but pilots could in some cases continue as FOs until 60. There was an instance where during an in flight emergency the Capt handed control to the more experienced FO. Arguably good crew resource management! It must be stressed that the Capt was fully qualified.