PDA

View Full Version : JAR to FAA License?

Chicken Leg
18th Dec 2008, 09:58
What is required to 'transfer' a JAR fATPL to FAA? I understand that it is a written exam and a flight check. Is this the case?

Thanks in advance.

ps I'm sure that this type of question in very common on these forums, but I never have got to grips with the PPRuNe Search function!

G-SPOTs Lost
18th Dec 2008, 13:57
MUch more straightforward when you have your fATPL unfrozen. If you have a CPL its a seperate flight test, exam and minimum 4 hours training AND test for each rating i.e. CPL & IR.

If you have a UK or JAR ATPL then they'll give you an ATP at the same time as a Type Rating with a written exam and bolt on checkride to a LST in the sim.

The instructor and Examiner will want you to be able to pass the checkride first time as it reflects badly on them if you cock up the ride or indeed have a nasty after the event.

Anticipate going over there to do more or less a full course if they put you forward and pass you after minimum time all the better.

You can do the FAA writtens at Flightsafety at Farnborough, if you ask nicely they'll give you a guided tour and show you a sim.

PS dont forget TSA/HSA

inner
30th Dec 2008, 19:07
Hi,

I'm in the same position.

I have a jaa cpl/ir with typerating.

Every Year i do my recurrent training in the states for the JAA. I've been told that if i pass my ATP written test that my jaa sim check also counts for the FAA Check.(ofcourse i have to do some extra excersises).

Some has more info or experience with that. Is all new for me.
tx

B2N2
2nd Jan 2009, 13:28
What is required to 'transfer' a JAR fATPL to FAA

For one thing, there is no "frozen" ATPL in FAA land.
In order to be eligible for the FAA ATP you need 1500 hrs.
If you hold CPL ME IR under JAA the most you can get without a check ride is
a PPL ME/SE IR under regulation 61.75.
It's a US PPL based on a foreign license.
Read about it here:

Airmen Certification: Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/)

You then train for and pass the check rides for the FAA IR and CPL SE/ME.
Here is an online copy of the US regulations:
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=02609bf5de464989f49d7bca05aaed70&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2&idno=14#14:2.0.1.1.2.2.1.10)

readbackincorrect
4th Jan 2009, 03:14
Hi guys maybe totally unrelated but here goes..
I am a canadian ATPL and flight instructor...what would i need to do the ATP and CFI? what would u recomend i study...all the far??aim?? any specific books or test prep u guys would recomend down south?

cheers!

BelArgUSA
4th Jan 2009, 04:45
Hola Readback...
xxx
For the ATPL (FAA), with your Canadian ATPL, just do the written FAA test, as FAA and Transport Canada now make it possible. No check-ride required. The exam is mostly about FARs subject (I have been told).
xxx
For the CFIs, you need the written exams (3 of them) - "Fundamentals of Instruction" (a tough one), "Flight Instructor - Airplanes" and finally, "Instrument Instructor - Airplanes"... Study the subjects in the US AIM and FARs. Then you will require training and check ride in a single engine, to get the CFIA and CFII, then the next day, same in a twin for the CFIA/ME. Ask current instructors in the Instructor Forum what books are best.
xxx
All the best
:ok:
Happy contrails

readbackincorrect
4th Jan 2009, 13:25
Thanks A lot for the help ArgUSA. wow...CFI certification seems like a headache :S...will give it a try though. oh and is possible that the FAA have testing centers in Canada?