PDA

View Full Version : Wich schools can you atend with a PPL?

fabbe92
17th Dec 2008, 19:03
Hello! I am now studying for my PPL. I Was wondering if I can go to OXFORD, Sabena Flight Academy, CTC WINGS and Flight training europe, if I have a ppl? Or do I have to take the PPL again with them wich obviosly means, that I have to pay for it again.

And would you reccomend one of this schools for a guy who lives in Sweden?

Is it really true that I have very good chanches of, getting a job with one of the airlines that cooperate with the schools?

Thanks!!

corsair
17th Dec 2008, 19:08
Is it really true that I have very good chanches of, getting a job with one of the airlines that cooperate with the schools?

No, because none of them are recruiting at the moment.

daria-ox
17th Dec 2008, 19:25
If you go modular or integrated, you'll end up in the same place in the end.

hollingworthp
17th Dec 2008, 19:49
Oxford will give you no credit / discount for holding a PPL but you may find it helps you through the early part of the flying.

fabbe92
17th Dec 2008, 19:51
Look. I am 16 years old so i will try to get in in 4 years. So if they arnīt recruting now and then, it doesnīt matter.

And if i go modular or integrated what? I donīt understand.

If I go to one of these schools, will I have to take my PPL again?

Is these schools a good alternative for a guy who lives in sweden?

I can choose bewteen these schools and scandinavian aviation academy www.bfsaa.se (http://www.bfsaa.se), wich gives me a cpl and IR for free because it is a upper secondary level school.

If i wanīt the best chanches to get a job with ba,lh,af etc and work for th big ones. Wich opption should i choose?

hollingworthp
17th Dec 2008, 19:53
If the state will pay for a CPL / IR then go for it and don't waste your time and money travelling abroad, all routes end up with the same licence at the end.

bajadj
17th Dec 2008, 20:24
oxford most certainly will give you a credit for your PPL, the APP course is not the only course that oxford run. You could do the modular "waypoint" course which gives you full PPL credit on any ICAO PPL or more sensibly you could just do the ATPL groundschool at oxford and do the CPL/IR somewhere better value.

fabbe92
17th Dec 2008, 21:00
Ok thanks guys! So my dream and goal is to as quickly as possible, get a jobb with a decent airline. Fly for a airline in BAs class as soon and possible. And when I am 50 I wanīt to fly the a380.

What would you do in my position?

Scandinavian Aviation Academt (free)
www.bfsaa.se (http://www.bfsaa.se)

or OAT,CTC,SFA,EFT etc?

Thanks and happy christmas!

bajadj
17th Dec 2008, 21:06
100% scandinavian aviation academy, it's free!!

what is the point in spunking 70k euro's on something you can get for free??

i would cut off a limb to be able to get my CPL/IR for free.

preduk
17th Dec 2008, 21:29
Why are you only looking at Integrated schools?? A380 pilots get to where they are based on their skills not where they were trained.

When you have the experience and hours to join BA, Easyjet etc etc the airlines don't care what school you went to, they care about your skills as a pilot.

Get your head out of the marketing scam.

fabbe92
17th Dec 2008, 21:51
Okey. So it is falls. But if i attend these schools I will have the chance to get a job with easy/BA etc directly, am I right? This I donīt have with SFBAA.

Secondly, it seems that many of the graduates got job with scandinavian companies.

I am interessted in working for foreign companies like BA,KL,LH and Brussels.
What do thei asses? In wich country you got your training or what? Maybee the only thing i need is to stud german for example and be very good at it?

Maybe you guys donīt understand this about the free thing. Let me explain. It is a upper secondary school for 16-19 year olds. It is allso a normal school. We have all the subjects like math,english, physics and so on. So it is a normal school but we study for the cpl/IR as well. So it is twice as hard. This will moast certenly affect my grades. Many of the students donīt get good grades in the normal subjects in order to focus on the flying bit.

So the choices is, to stay in normal school and get good grades and then pay 80000 pounds for ctc etc. Or take the free option and donīt get good grades. (Take in note that the money bit doesnīt mather. I am not rich but I donīt mind working hard and spending much) the only thing I care about is getting the best oppurtunities for the best carrier I can imagine.

Thanks!

preduk
17th Dec 2008, 21:56
No! thats what I just said...

BA, Easyjet etc etc are all looking for guys with experience i.e thousands of hours which you get from Airlines like Ryanair and FlyBe. Ryanair and Flybe both recruit from Modular schools therefore spending the extra cash on OAA, FTE, CTC would be pointless.

OAA, FTE and CTC doesn't guarantee you high marks, if you're crap at flying you will get crap marks regardless of the school.

fabbe92
17th Dec 2008, 22:10
I am not crap at flying. Ok and about the grades and this?

bajadj
17th Dec 2008, 22:16
it's up to you, only you can choose the school you attend, i suspect you and Afraz can be roomies at oxford together! :O:O:O

mcgoo
17th Dec 2008, 22:23
I am not crap at flying.

How do you know that if you can't fly yet?

ABX
17th Dec 2008, 22:42
What would you do in my position?
Improve your English!

fabbe92
17th Dec 2008, 22:59
In fact, I am flying allready. I am taking my PPL.

And the problem is that i have difficulties deciding myself. In fact, I canīt decide.

Adios
17th Dec 2008, 23:18
You wrote that you will wait about four years before you enroll. Hopefully four more years of maturity and research will equip you with what you need to make your own decisions.

Right now, you seem very insistent that someone give you the answer right now, for what you should do four years from now. Some of the schools might not even be in business by then. What is the rush? This is just 16 year old impetuousness and it doesn't belong anywhere near a Ģ50K decision!

I recommend that you read Pprune for about three months and then you'll have a much better idea how to proceed without begging to be spoon fed a decision. Start with the sticky threads. Right now you don't even know the difference between modular and integrated courses and until you know a bit more, your questions will make you look pretty naff, though you probably won't even know that.

Modular courses give you full credit for a PPL, as you can't even start one without it. If you take an integrated course, the rules allow the FTO to credit up to 40 hours, but they decide how much to credit. Oxford gives no credit to PPL holders who enroll on their integrated APP First Officer course and full credit to those who enroll on the modular Waypoint course. The most credit I have ever seen an FTO allow on their integrated course is 15 hours credit.

acuba 290
17th Dec 2008, 23:40
what means SFA is for free?

preduk
17th Dec 2008, 23:49
Let the professionals decide if you're crap at flying, not yourself :ok:.

I think you have a lot of research to do, as a 16 year old I would leave this reasearch until you are in a fiancial position to pay for the course, it's all good saying that you want to join OAA etc but when you get a bit older and realise the true value of Ģ80k + interest I'm sure you will start to consider the modular route.

sion22
18th Dec 2008, 07:32
amazing isn't it!

a country where you can get your CPL / IR as part of your studies if you choose that route

no harm researching it all

but your home town has the best long-term option

you can always type rate over here later

spinnaker
18th Dec 2008, 08:31
fabbe92

You will benefit by far from having a good solid education with good grades and I would not sacrifice those grades for flying. At the moment all you want to do is achieve a flying position with a quality company as soon as you can. That is understandable, nothing wrong with ambition at an early stage, but, after a couple of years you might change your mind, you might find you're not cut out for an airline career after all. You need options, and that means good school grades. Also, if you do go into aviation, those grades will help with developing your career later on.

All of the FTOs that you mention are good outfits and they regularly supply the leading airlines with newly qualified First Officers, your choice is going to be made nearer the time, when you are ready. Keep an eye on what airlines require. Write to them, find out the sort of people they recruit.

fabbe92
18th Dec 2008, 10:16
The thing is that I have to decide now. Because the bfssa (free training at upper secondary school) Starts in August. So I have to be ready for the tests in April.

Lew747
19th Dec 2008, 09:39
i suspect you and Afraz can be roomies at oxford together! :O:O:O

Classic :}

fabbe92
21st Dec 2008, 20:50
I donīt understand. You say that BA,LH etc look for pilots with thousands of hours and experience. This you get from fyling with Ryan or Flybe etc.

Then someone mentioned that OAA,SFA,CTC etc provides the leading airlines with newly graduated First Officers.

So how is it? Do the graduates from these schools, get a job with BA or donīt they?

blueplume
21st Dec 2008, 21:40
Nothing is guaranteed. Just because some schools (otherwise known as "businesses") promise the world to get hold of your money doesn't mean that they can influence anything. You might be lucky and be recommended if you are above average but don't count on it.
So how is it? Do the graduates from these schools, get a job with BA or donīt they?
Maybe. Probably not.
So you like flying. Great. When you understand that it's just another business you will cool down.
If you really do have the opportunity to have your training paid for by the state you should understand how lucky you are. Get trained at home and think about getting extras later. And don't plan too far ahead because things will change, whatever you think. Listen to people who have been doing it longer than you and take advice. Add three weeks and 30% to everything.
Don't be disappointed if it doesn't work out the way you expected, that's the most likely outcome. Work hard and eventually you'll end up in the right place. Could take years though.
Not what you wanted to hear? Win X-factor.

fabbe92
21st Dec 2008, 21:58
Okay. I belive you guys. It sounds logical. But I allso get caught when I read about BAs pilot schem for OAA and such. Anyhow, you experienced guys think i should go for the upper secondary school wich gives you cpl and ir for free? This will result in me paying about 250-300 thousands for atpl and type rating later on.

The thing is that it feels right for the moment to do so. I donīt very good at my present school. I am sure I will enjoy it much more at the flying school. The only thing I am worried about, is that maybe I will not get as good grades at the flying school as in normal school. And I will not have the oppurtunite to study cambridge english, wich I can do at my present school.

bajadj
21st Dec 2008, 23:27
what B.A. pilot scheme at oaa?

MartinCh
21st Dec 2008, 23:30
Oh, boy, oh, boy. Oh boy.

Should I work my ass off, sacrifice personal life over many years, 'best years of life' saving, working like hell, slaving off, only to achieve my aviation career goals/dreams,

OR

SHOULD I HAVE MOST OF TRAINING FOR FREE?
With the option of having TR paid for by bond or nice friendly bank loan with Scandinavian bank?

Where do I sign for Swedish citizenship? Merde, I'm too old already.. :(

:ugh:

Just like many Norwegians doing rotary training, they can get nice loans for all of their training. Looks like I was born in the wrong country (still could be worse, though..)

fabbe92
21st Dec 2008, 23:58
Hey we may have free education in Sweden but hey, I would rather bee born in Germany for example. Then I know that I have good chanches of getting a Job with Germanys national airline.

PA28Viking
22nd Dec 2008, 10:51
fabbe92!

Slow down a bit. You are only 16. It is clear from your questions that you know way too little about being a pilot, work in an airline and a lot of other things about the training you will need and the benefits of the different options you have.

As others have pointed out you are not even familiar with the integrated/modular concept. There is lots of other stuff you should research before you decide what to do.

Now, your first decision is whether you should apply for the upper secondary level school that may give you a professional license for free. Well, to me that’s no brainer. Of course you should try to get in. You may not be selected, but if you are, you have not committed yourself to anything yet.

I can’t see any reference to at free program on www.bfsaa.se (http://www.bfsaa.se), but if you say so it is probably correct. To me it looks like an ordinary flight training organization (FTO) and part of the training takes place in the USA.

I know of another program at the University of Lund (http://www.lusa.lu.se/education/integrated-airline-transport-pilot-programme), which also gives you an ATPL free of charge (if you get in). May be it would be better for you to finish a normal upper secondary level education, and the head of to Lund.

You say you are not rich but don’t mind spending the money it takes. Well, I don’t think you know enough about the value of money, and how they can come in handy later in life. So take what you can get for free if the quality is up to standard.

As for your chances of getting a job with BA or the like, nobody can guaranty you anything no matter which school or program you attend. Some schools co-operate with specific airlines, but in no way are you sure to get a job. Currently it is hard for everybody and the most likely path is via smaller companies with smaller aircraft regardless of school.

People reach their dream position in the big jet thru very different paths. For a lot of pilots the goal changes along the way. There are so many other important parameters that will influence where you end up.

So bottom line: Apply for the upper secondary level pilot program. No harm in that. If you are accepted, then try it out. If you feel it is not working out, transfer to a standard school and then consider the program at University of Lund.

fabbe92
22nd Dec 2008, 14:16
Thats what I am concidering, doing now. And the school in Lund. 12 people is accepted every year. And you have to have straight A:s. They allso are very conservative and have allways been. Therefor I have difficulty entering there considering my name.

But have you guys understod that if you work hard at the upper secondary, and stick out. 30% of the students are accepted to continute the training. This means that after school you continue to the normal bfsaa and they give you the atpl and all you need to start working, for free.

fabbe92
23rd Dec 2008, 00:58
I saw a movie on youtube where you followed a class of 2005 i belive. (oaa). In the end you got to se pictures of the youngsters workplaces. I saw one girl with Flybe. Then I saw 5-6 of them at BA and the 737. How do you explain that.

Anyhow I have pretty much decided to go the free way and work my way up. I have heard that this is very fun and it is better for your career than to be flying the airbus a320 (flyes it self) from the begining.

I looked at BAs website and I looked at their requirements. I saw that they requests fluid english offcourse. But it allso said "Clear diction" What does this mean? That you have to have a british accent or what?

In sweden (upper secondary school) we have english: a,b,c,d and e. A is the lowest. If i go to the flying school, i will be able to study up to english E wich is the highest course in Sweden. At my present school we allso have the oppprtunitie to study Cambridge english wich normaly is University. And we focuses very much on english and my teacher is scothish so he has a british accent.

So I wonder if you guys think its worth staying in this school for this or go to the free flying school. There i can get English E wich is the highest course (normaly).

I am only 16 but I have to decide now since i will begin at the flying school in august if i decide to do so.

Happy holidays!!

fabbe92
23rd Dec 2008, 22:24
Any ideas to my last post?

drpep
24th Dec 2008, 01:24
Someone tell me this is a wind up!

MartinCh
24th Dec 2008, 01:57
darling,

cool down. have a coke/milk/NA stuff.

Browse through some threads related to 'integrated' pros and cons. check out 'dowturn' thread to give you a broad idea (don't expect you to read it all, you'd die sooner).

Also look at the thread where people ask about funding/lack of it, get the feel of desperation etc - just to get a distant feeling how it feels like not having such opportunities. Or taking ages to finish flight training because of money..

You have received more than enough sound and knowledgeable opinions and suggestions. You can't just expect people to fuss about with every little spur of an idea you have.

Nobody replied to your thread where 'all's been said' for one whole day?
C'mon, don't be childish. Oops, you still are, technically.

Can't elaborate on your diction, but you could work on your spelling.

You've seen some promo youtube vids? From 2-3 years ago???
How do we explain that? As suggested couple times, have a few weeks'/months' go at reading through PPRuNe. That's not condescending or patronising statement and so many 'get-it-all-served-on-tray-know-how-about-everything-quickly' persons expect and get upset otherwise..

You're also contradicting yourself. You only want to go for BA, but you want to work your way up (instructing, charter, TP, etc). Yes, language may help for national flagship carriers, but then, you're just fine speaking Swedish.

You should also remember that schools are companies/businesses, so there's always marketing, selling oneself, hyping up some stuff. Sure, seeing 'those youngsters' with epaulettes, etc, blah blah. Try to pull out something with summer/autumn 2008 date like that. Also, just because there's a bloke that's youngest jet captain (yeah, expensive training, daddy airline captain that let him fly for 'family business' etc, doesn't mean it's easy/normal/probable)

You're getting lost in your reasoning regarding English study.

Nothing wrong with being starry-eyed at your age, but you should practice patience, researching stuff, trying to see 'bigger picture'.

Enjoy relaxing times

EDIT: I believe you now, drpep
http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/355552-british-airways-cadet-programme-start-again.html#post4609135

zztopgunzz
24th Dec 2008, 11:52
There are a lot of flying schools which you can even finish until your CPL for $40,000 usd. Far cheaper than what you guys are posting. (70,000 euros) thats too much.

Check out strikewing.com

fabbe92
24th Dec 2008, 20:04
Sorry but I donīt have mutch experience and these Cadet programs with Cityjet etc, sounds very good to me. And now that BAs cadett program, maybe is about to start. I am even more unsertain, if I should go To the upper or whait.

danielk
24th Dec 2008, 21:19
Fabbe92 I think you need to do alot more research about this! Hässlö/arvidsjaur will not give you a CPL/ir for free! You get a SEP CPL/VFR.

Anyhow you should stop asking all these questions wich cannot be answered that easily remember what happened to your thread at G-kraft?

How can you tell if your crap or not at flying when you have got what 2-3 hours logged so far?

Have a merry christmas and don't forget to study for those exams in january!:)

fabbe92
25th Dec 2008, 22:46
How is it with language. If you are 40 years old and have about 8000 hours. You have everything it takes to get a job with a foreign airline, except the language. Lets say you Have everything that a Belgian company wants but you do not speak the language. Will you get accepted? Because I am a very interessted in international jobs and foreign airlines. Like Brussels, LH, KL or even smaller ones, Air Berlin or whatever. But I speek none of the languages that they require. For the moment I speak italian, swedish, english and french.

preduk
25th Dec 2008, 23:56
It's too hard to say, every airline is different and every airline has different requirements which are constantly changing.

fabbe92
14th Jan 2009, 15:18
Hello again! I am not meaning to bring this thread up again and start this mess all over again but I just want to be clear one one thing.

Bearing in mind that I have very high goals, The majority of you reccomend me to go with the upper secondary level school wich gives you a CPL, 150 hours and a night qualification for free, instead of paying for training at Oxford.

But have you all understod that if I choose the free school, my grades will suffer and I will maybee not get the special english that I can get at my current upper secondary school. So now that you all understand this, do you still reccomend the free school?

Over and out for me again!

bajadj
14th Jan 2009, 18:43
yes, and having attended oxford i most certainly recommend the free school.

matzpain
15th Jan 2009, 01:14
Does anyone know a good school in England for ATPLs? Just got my PPL.

preduk
15th Jan 2009, 15:29
Bristol GS is probably one of the best.

Reluctant737
16th Jan 2009, 10:26
I would concur with the above poster - I would also recommend AGAINST doing any GS with Oxford as there are huge quantities of incorrect answers for the self assessment questions in the traning manuals.
Alex at Bristol is an honest chap and runs a clean ship - many of my colleagues and aviation peers originally distance learnt the ATPL with Bristol and I have heard no major complaints about them as of yet!

Also, you seem like a genuinely nice guy, great attitude, but DO ensure you learn as much about the business/economic side of this industry as you can, as you come across as a little malnourished in that department to me!

I wish you the best of luck with your endeavours,

Ad