PDA

View Full Version : JPI EDM 700C with fuel flow

stiknruda
17th Dec 2008, 13:05
Am considering fitting one of these to my bipe to replace the steam driven EGT/CHT guage.

Do any of you have experience of it or alternative recommendations?

Regards,

Stik

Rod1
17th Dec 2008, 13:13
Is it an LAA aircraft? If so have a look at the Stratomaster range.

Rod1

IO540
17th Dec 2008, 13:23
There are several very similar engine monitors, of which the JPI is the best known and most widely pushed by the trade. There is EI (http://www.buy-ei.com) and at least 2 others which I don't immediately recall.

IMHO one of these is really great to have, but (I fly with an EDM700) I would not go for the one with integrated fuel flow. I would go for a separate fuel flow instrument e.g. the Shadin. The sensor is still the same - a Floscan 201 transducer. I say this because the user interface on the JPI is a bit like a 1970s VCR and is not really usable, but for engine temp monitoring it doesn't need to be touched. However, for an aerobatic type used for short flights, I can't see this matters.

The EDM also has crappy software. If the internal data queue fills up, the data gets corrupted. Their very latest PC software usually manages to recover most of the flights though.

EI claim to have thicker wall probes, which is significant because the JPI probes do burn through - I've got through a couple in 800hrs. But they are quick to fix, and an EGT probe failure is usually obvious because you get a silly reading, without an accompanying CHT abnormality.

Edit: Insight (http://www.insightavionics.com) is another one.

vanHorck
17th Dec 2008, 14:15
I have the 760 JPI with Gami injectors.

The issue with steam gauges is that the EGT probe is fitted to the commonly hottest cylinder, but this is not the case on all engines, so you may be evaluating on one cylinder where another one runs hotter.

The JPI will allow you to view accurately all cylinders and set parameters for warnings.

Mine is with the fuel flow and it works fine (on a seneca) because i tend to fly long legs and once leaned in level flight (LOP !!!) i don't touch it anymore unless i see an issue on temperatures.

In all i think it helps me to better estimate my fuel flow as well as manage my engines better hopefully leading to a longer engine life and safer flight.

I ve had one probe which was faulty early on, no issues since (1 yr)

Charles E Taylor
17th Dec 2008, 17:41
Stick

Go ahead.

JPI are good people. I had an original EDM 700 without the memory. After about 450 hrs. One element of the display failed.

I returned it to them on a trip to LA. They replaced it with a new current spec unit complete with the latest memory option and software for $100.00. On the spot with no other questions asked.

I thought this was good customer service.

Once you use one, you will be surprised how much more efficient your fuel usage becomes.

Charlie

stiknruda
17th Dec 2008, 22:12
Gents - all v useful feedback.

The a/c is on a permit so I am not restricted to STC modules.

The old unit had 4 CHT/4EGT and by turning a 4 way switch allowed one to see what each pot was doing - it works well but I hardly ever change the cyl as #2 gives me a "consistent reading".

The fuel guage on a Pitts S2A is less that perfect, so I tend to time flight time by stop watch and last calculated average consumption - one tends to err on the safe side.

Recently, £3k ago, I had to replace the camshaft and whilst currently putting the beast together again wondered if a modern analyser with fuel flow would benefit me.

Keep it coming, folks.

Thanks

Stik

Zulu Alpha
17th Dec 2008, 22:15
Stik,

I have the EDM700 but not the fuel flow. I think its great. It keeps an eye on everything and records everything so that if one day something seems wrong, you can go back and look at when and whether something changed.

The fuel flow adds considerably to the price. I decided it wasn't worth the extra.

They now make a unit with a bigger display which I would have got if it had been available when I purchased mine.

I only wish it read oil pressure as well as oil temp, then all the critical parameters would be monitored automatically.

ZA

Give me a call if you want to discuss or see some of the data.

Rod1
18th Dec 2008, 08:04
The Stratomaster kit will do what you want at a fraction of the cost of the certified kit. You could even replace all your engine instruments, RPM, Fuel level, fuel flow, CHT, EHT, volts, OAT etc etc into one instrument for a few hundred £ and save weight at the same time. At the other end of the spectrum you can fit a single 2.5” instrument which will monitor a full set of CHT’s. If you contact Paul at Parts for aircraft on 028 7776 5796 he will advise. I have been using Stratomaster engine monitoring for the last 3 years and it is very good stuff. I am currently upgrading my E2 engine monitor to a full Enigma/Infinity system which I have connected up on my work bench at the moment.

Rod1