PDA

View Full Version : Out of Iraq

HaveQuick2
17th Dec 2008, 06:35
Sky News reporting that an announcement is imminent that will give the go-ahead for the withdrawal of the vast majority of UK forces from Iraq by mid 2009.

Truckkie
17th Dec 2008, 07:57
Thank God

Back to fighting only one major op.

Suppose these troops will just re-locate to the stan.

Wrathmonk
17th Dec 2008, 08:39
Very well crafted press statement. Be interesting to see whether we return to pre-TELIC level of operations (i.e maintaining overflight/overwatch with forces based outside of Iraq) or whether the 2-300 advisers is really it.

The Helpful Stacker
17th Dec 2008, 08:53
The cynic in me sees this as someone as the treasury might.

"Ah, the MoD has one less commitment now, perhaps some gentle pruning is in order."

:uhoh:

Green Flash
17th Dec 2008, 09:09
BBC Radio 4 reported this morning that as soon as the Iraqi 14th Div is stood up, we're off. 'A few hundred' trainers/advisors would be left, didn't say for how long. BBC reported that Brown expects that the mission in Basra will be over by the middle of the year. It also mentioned that the airport would be 'handed back to the Iraqis' in January and that the Americans would have to secure their logistics routes to Kuwait.

Fingers crossed the disengagement/pullout doesn't go Pete Tong.:uhoh:

NUFC1892
17th Dec 2008, 09:17
Joint announcement in Baghdad this morning is that UK Forces will be out by 31 Jul 09:ok:

parabellum
17th Dec 2008, 11:41
An announcement in Australia to the effect that Australian troops will be out very quickly now due to the failure of some 'negotiated agreement':confused:

'Advisors and Trainers' = Special Forces usually.

mr fish
17th Dec 2008, 16:25
golly, is the ELECTION that close already:eek:

S78
17th Dec 2008, 18:40
Anyone else notice that this announcement came out at the same time as the unemployment figures?:E

My cynical side reckons they needed some 'good news' to announce - hence the change from 'we'll withdraw when the conditions are right and not on some pre-determined date'

S78

lampeterexile
17th Dec 2008, 20:12
All it means is a re deployment to Afghanistan:mad::mad:

WE992
17th Dec 2008, 20:15
Just vanother excuse to cut the front line even further.

capewrath
18th Dec 2008, 15:44
Our illustrious leader specifically said yesterday that the personnel brought out of Iraq did not mean that an equivalent number will go to Afghanistan.

That's the decision taken, then. They are all going !

4mastacker
18th Dec 2008, 16:02
You didn't expect the 'Saviour of the World' to be telling the truth did you ? (after all, his lips were moving!) ..... another G Dubya "Mission Accomplished" moment perhaps?

Compressorstall
18th Dec 2008, 17:27
In The Times this week weren't we accused of being defeated in the field in Southern Iraq in 2006 by some US academic?

How will we remember Iraq and our excursion there? I feel embarassed that we bragged so much about how the UK were past masters at COIN and yet even in Northern Ireland we negotiated a peace. I have seen some talented people do some extraordinary things, but what will people remember?

Al R
18th Dec 2008, 17:31
BBC said: Several hundred trainers will remain, some working with the Iraqi navy.

"Ok luvs, you've looked at how to send your dirty dhobie forward to your local field laundry, now lets look at examples of essential kit."

http://www.onethreeone.com/blog/images/ipod7.jpg

BBC NEWS | Politics | UK troops to leave Iraq 'by July' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7787103.stm)

Co-Captain
20th Dec 2008, 15:07
Best the boys and girls start packing their bags and prepare to move then. I'm sure it could be 'done' in a few weeks, from planning to execution... And it'd save a whole load of people from staring at the inside of their pod for the next 6 months... :E