PDA

View Full Version : Question Re: Aviation vs Business

fiveoh
17th Dec 2008, 05:30
Hey guys,

I have a friend who is taking a finance degree who is planning on being a financial advisor. We were talking, and were wondering what seperates a financial advisor to a pilot. Are pilots considered skilled trade or white collar? And for that matter, what are people like my friend considered? I know this is kind of a stupid question, but I was just curious as to whether pilots are considered skllled trade or white collared men.

Cheers,:ok:

Fiveoh

Bruce Wayne
17th Dec 2008, 07:48
It depends on what context you mean skilled trade.

For example, for purposes of immigration / visa issuance certain countries (eg the US) does not classify a commercial pilot as a skilled trade (there are several references to this but it is best to review immigration law).

However, as a skilled trade, as you are aware in order to act as a pilot, you need to undergo certified training programs and complete testing to a mandatory legal minimum and maintain a required level of skill set to continue in your position.

Perhaps someone with employment law background can answer this better but what seems to be the case is that an academic qualification (IE degree) that is pertain-able to your employment position is what defines the difference between a skilled trade or unskilled trade.

I am sure that everyone who has ever had an ounce of understanding of pilot training would consider a commercial pilot as a skilled trade, however the interpretation over difference government departments in different countries many differ from this.

As a side note a close friend of mine recently completed a degree in macro-economics and works in the financial markets in the city, however, he couldn't tell you anymore where to invest money than i could (of course he will disagree with that !).

Further, under the current economic climate, could any financial adviser be considered a skilled trade !!!!!

Whirlygig
17th Dec 2008, 12:15
Depends what is really meant by "Financial Advosor". In the UK, a financial advisor is someone, either working independently or tied to a finance house, who sells financial products i.e. they are salesmen, working for commission and very few qualifications are needed.

Many are not looked upon favourably as people have been missold pensions and mortgages.

However, there are also finance and accountancy qualifications which require a degree plus three or fours study (through Articled Internship) to gain. The academic standard for that is much higher than ATPL.

However, pilots and aviation are more glamourous than finance.

Cheers

Whirls

tigermagicjohn
17th Dec 2008, 14:52
The answer is in the question itself - a stupid question!

Why would anybody care? Honestly can't even understand why anybody would bother to think of this kind of question! :ugh:

oby
17th Dec 2008, 15:25
However, there are also finance and accountancy qualifications which require a degree plus three or fours study (through Articled Internship) to gain. The academic standard for that is much higher than ATPL.

How loud should I shout that if I go the ATPL ground school? (me being a CA n all ;))