PDA

View Full Version : Pensions. Yet another nice mess.

MReyn24050
15th Dec 2008, 20:19
The pensions of tens of thousands of retired NHS, armed services and other public sector staff have been overpaid for decades, the government has said.

About 5% of staff were affected by overpayments worth "tens of millions" of pounds, some made since the 1970s.
Earlier Lib Dem MP Vince Cable asked for assurances bailiffs would not be turning up at ex-servicemen's doors.

Chancellor Alistair Darling said the money need not be repaid but pensions would be adjusted from April 2009.

The issue was raised in the Commons earlier by Mr Cable, the Lib Dem Treasury spokesman, who said he was informed about the problem 10 days ago by a BBC Radio Ulster journalist.

BBC NEWS | Politics | NHS pensions 'overpaid for years' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7784606.stm)

WhoAreYa
16th Dec 2008, 01:11
So I'm not alone then.

L J R
16th Dec 2008, 01:26
So exactly how will you know if you are overpaid or not....and what rights do you have if you are accused of being overpaid and you have no right of recourse to prove that you may have actually been paid correctly?

WhoAreYa
16th Dec 2008, 06:18
A good question LJR and one I would like the answerers to.

Currently in discussions with paymaster regarding an alleged over-payment of my gratuity. Not sure where I stand at the moment, especially as I am no longer a UK resident. Very interesting development to discover I am not alone in being messed about/overpaid.

Anyone got any info on how the UK gov would/could recover monies if you no-longer reside in the UK ?