PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair cabin crew floored on landing

Dimplyred
15th Dec 2008, 09:53
We were returning from Rome on Saturday and travelled back on a Ryanair flight. As we came to land the Captain/First Officer informed the cabin crew there was ten minutes until landing. I really like flying and take a keen interest with everything that goes on whilst onboard. As we were about to touch down on the runway I was peering out of my window but looked back into the cabin and realised all the cabin crew were still standing up and moving around the aircraft. We were in the front few rows of seats and luckily one of the stewards noticed he could see the ground and shouted to the others to sit down. He literally sat in his seat as we landed but a young stewardess was not so lucky and ended up on the floor at the side of her seat. I think the only thing that was hurt was her pride but as you can imagine it did look a little strange from a passengers point of view.

The Captain/FO had not told them to take their seats for landing, which is what I am used to hearing. Just out of interest is that something he needs to do or is it the cabin crews responsibility once they have been informed there is ten minutes to landing.

Wycombe
15th Dec 2008, 10:25
PA "bongs" are normally the signal to the cabin aren't they?

EGAC_Ramper
15th Dec 2008, 11:44
The "10 minutes til landing" is a call to the crew to check the cabin, after this they will do so and then buzz the flightdeck allowing the flightcrew to know the cabin is secure with regards to pax sitting/buckled up and bags all away etc. However the cabin crew are still able to move about, shortly before landing they should have recieved "cabin crew seats for landing" PA but clearly it was forgotten. But the cabin would have been secure regards pax etc.

Regards

Big Bad D
15th Dec 2008, 13:33
Even though the rest of the cabin would have been secured, such an event should would be expected to be subject to a safety review as it is a non compliance to EU-OPS 1.310(b):

"Cabin crew members. On all the decks of the aeroplane that are occupied by passengers, required cabin crew members shall be seated at their assigned stations during critical phases of flight."

blaggerman
15th Dec 2008, 18:09
As SLF, I've witnessed flight crew failing to give 10 minute call ("Cabin crew, 2 minutes to landing, sorry for the late notice") and cabin crew barely making it to seats, certainly not strapped in. Several incidents, same airline. But on a positive note, at least everyone got their booze, scratchcards and long distance calling cards.

Rainboe
15th Dec 2008, 18:12
However the seat belt sign comes on automatically with first extension of flap, which would be a bit less than 10 minutes. It would not be 2 minutes warning.

RVF750
15th Dec 2008, 19:13
Perhaps it does on certain aircraft, Rainboe old chap, but none I've flown.

Certainly if I don't get a cabin secure call by 500ft, I'll be going around. They shouldn't call in our company unless they're strapped in and ready.

I do miss my old type with a screen to look back into the cabin. It also helped to see if pax were getting up before we'd got to the stand. Perfect for brake checks.....

Dimplyred
15th Dec 2008, 19:21
Thanks for the replies so far. If I understand correctly then the aircraft shouldn't have landed without the Captain/FO being notified that the cabin crew were seated and ready for landing?

ManofMan
15th Dec 2008, 20:45
Not strictly on the same subject but was shocked last week flying MAN-ABZ on BMI, when the bong came through for the cabin crew, the lady cabin crew member (politically correct enough ???) took her set at the front (proper cabin crew seat), the male cabin crew member faffed around for another 30 seconds, then took a seat next to me in Business class !!!, surely he should have been at the back in a crew seat ????

Groundloop
16th Dec 2008, 08:18
If it was an Embraer RJ there would be no need for the cabin crew to sit at the back as there are no exits right at the back.

udachi moya
16th Dec 2008, 10:01
No, definately no landing if the cabin isn't ready. Ihave had one embaressing orbit on approach to EGLL without the cabin being ready, our fault completely. But on the other hand, if the Capt has made a 10 min to landing call, he could "assume" the cabin crew will comply, but then again have they encountered a problem preventing them from completing their landing procedures? Now, our SOPs are standard lights at 10 thou plus double chime on s/belts - written on same line....., followed by cabin crew 10 mins to landing, and turning finals a last call if needed for cabin crew take your seats please. The senior will then poll his/her cabin crew for seats/belts, and then report cabin secure for landing.
I know shorter hauliers will still have service in the descent, I've always watched the mad rush on some carriers, last-minute.command, slap-click-clunk of the stowage boxes, cursory glance at seatbelts, cabin lights, safety annoucement nicely leading into heathrow express tickets along with lotto and phone cards.

Carmoisine
18th Dec 2008, 09:40
However the seat belt sign comes on automatically with first extension of flap, which would be a bit less than 10 minutes. It would not be 2 minutes warning.

Rainboe That is assuming the Seatbelt switch has been left in "Auto" and not "Off". Surprisingly our SOPs don't specifically state which position the switch is left in during the "ten checks" at 10,000 Ft, and I have seen both the off and auto positions being taught during line training. It seems a surprising omission in a compan such as ours which has detailed SOPs and a mnemonic for everything and everything.

FCOM Vol. 1, NP 20.55

Ten checks are performed aloud as
follows: “LIGHTS, APU, FASTEN
BELTS, AIRCOND AND PRESS,
RECALL.”

Even in the Line training techniques document (LTTD), a guidance document for students and instructors, page 15:

FL100 and “10 Checks”:
• Once above FL100 and after the “Altimeters” call the PF will call for the “10 checks”
which will be actioned by the PM. These will be said out loud in an unobtrusive manner
in the following flow:
o Fuel – Check if the centre pumps are required.
o Lights – Retractable and Fixed landing lights, runway Turnoff lights and Logo
light.
o APU – Off. If the APU is on at this time then you should immediately check the
Pressurisation Panel for a possible Bleeds Off T/O.
o Press and Air Cond. The reverse “L” method as previously described.
o Seatbelts – Off at the Capt’s discretion.
o Recall.
You can use the acronym F.L.A.P.S. and Recall to help to remember the correct
sequence.

My emphasis.

chiglet
18th Dec 2008, 19:00
Did a "Fam Flight" donks ago. At DH, we had no "Cabin Secure" notice[even though the cabin was bonged. I heard it through my "Cans", well it was a 146] so we went around. No drama, no fuss, largish orbit, landed :ok:

The Real Slim Shady
18th Dec 2008, 20:04
Turkish Airlines, Istanbul - MAN. The aircraft started the take off run during the demo.

Different strokes?

Seloco
19th Dec 2008, 14:19
A couple of years ago now I was doing London to the peninsular and back on a certain iberian airline on a weekly basis, as were several of my work colleagues. After a few round trips we started a "book" on time between last CC being seated and main wheels on the ground. It didn't take long before we recorded a simultaneous bottom and rubber touchdown. Helped pass the time.....