PDA

View Full Version : Maui Chopper TruTv

MrEdd
15th Dec 2008, 03:43
Does anybody know if there is somewhere I can watch full episodes of this show online?
Watched a couple of clips of it and it seem's to be a great:ok: heli program, would love to se more.

(Don't have truetv)

davidd
24th Dec 2008, 13:19
Being based in the UK I watch trutv on itunes, but not maui choppers yet :-(

TheVelvetGlove
25th Dec 2008, 14:49
I wonder how exciting my job would be, with theme music playing every second? ;)

Here's the link: Maui Chopper on truTV.com (http://www.trutv.com/shows/maui_chopper/index.html)

rotorrookie
26th Dec 2008, 03:45
Is it 500D or E ? I wondering how much it lift... It looks it must have been close to limit there in the rescue clip with one pax, long line and two rescue rescuers with their gear on the end of it, hot high even.
Or is situation like this no prob for the 500?

Ned-Air2Air
26th Dec 2008, 04:41
I think Don has 5 x 500D models at Windward.

Stan Switek
26th Dec 2008, 15:38
Is it 500D or E ? I wondering how much it lift... It looks it must have been close to limit there in the rescue clip with one pax, long line and two rescue rescuers with their gear on the end of it, hot high even.
Or is situation like this no prob for the 500?

If you are speaking of the rescue at dusk in the crater, it was reportedly done at 10,000' MSL with quite a bit of fuel on board. That doesnt even factor in the DA which is also an issue as Maui is a warm humid place. So yes, you will have some potential power issues at that altitude.

All the guys on this show seem really down to earth & obviously have some excellent piloting skills. Don, the owner cracks me up. I guess you could say he is very "passionate" about his company & flying. All in all seems like a decent bunch to share a cold one with.

500 Fan
30th Dec 2008, 08:27
Do Windward Aviation also operate the MD520Ns that fly for the Honolulu Fire Department (and the Honolulu Police Department 520N as well)?

Flying brightly-coloured Hughes 500s in Hawaii. It reminds me of something but I can't quite put my finger on it......

YouTube - Magnum P.I. - Opening (http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=3CquMO3vJvo)

These Windward guys might just have the best damn job in the world.

500 Fan.

R44-pilot
30th Dec 2008, 09:30
I've never even heard of this program, just watched the clips from the link from velvet glove, Its awesome!

What a job, please post a link if anyone finds more episodes to watch:ok:

500 Fan
30th Dec 2008, 10:30
Yea, you could be right. It looks good from a distance but the reality is probably a bit different. In one of the clips they mention that they fly in constantly windy conditions. That long-line pick-up of the injured hiker is not exactly easy. Sitting there deep in the avoid curve, pulling lots of power with a life or two dangling under your heli.....challenging, but not exactly fun. Fair play to those guys. They certainly earn their wages.

500 Fan.

206Fan
30th Dec 2008, 15:12
Just watched the clips aswel, fine bit of flying i must say!

Chief pilot Pete Vorhes was once required to rescue over 30 naked female skinny dippers. No wonder he loves his job.

At least they have good days:E

Ned-Air2Air
30th Dec 2008, 18:37
Do Windward Aviation also operate the MD520Ns that fly for the Honolulu Fire Department (and the Honolulu Police Department 520N as well)?

No they dont. The PD and Fire Dept both have their own air support units and they are based on the sea side of Honolulu Airport in Makolo Place. In fact both unit's offices face one another and the helos are in the same hangar from what I remember. Kalani Wilmington was the pilot for the FD when I was last there and Alan Olmos was CP for the PD.

I think Don only does the fire dept work on Maui and or the Big Island.

Ned