PDA

View Full Version : How confortable is the A380 and VS A340?

keltic
14th Dec 2008, 21:10
I have to fly LON-SIN/HKG-LHR. Itīs a long flight, and I donīt like flying too much. So taking into account that I have to fly "porky class", I have decided to make a good use of my time and sampling the Singapore Airlines A380. So, how confortable is SIA in coach?. How good is the tourist class on the A380?. Best seats?. I want to choose a window on the upper deck. Just a row of two and seems more roomy. Doesnīt it?.

And flight back. I got "premium ecomony" on Virgin A340-600. How good is this kind of improved tourist class?. Is it survivable?.

Skipness One Echo
14th Dec 2008, 21:14
You have to sit on a spike and pedal madly to prevent the engines stopping. That's in First so you can imagine what "porky" class is like. The pigs are noisy too.

keltic
14th Dec 2008, 21:23
OK, I will follow your wise suggestion :ok::)

Pax Vobiscum
15th Dec 2008, 15:11
Can't help with the A380, keltic, except to say SeatGuru (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Singapore_Air/Singapore_Air_Airbus_A380.php). If you haven't flown Premium Economy before, think 1980s Club experience - similar seats, but food probably not quite as good.

keltic
15th Dec 2008, 16:35
Thanks Pax

joniveson
15th Dec 2008, 20:34
I flew on the A380 from Singapore to Heathrow this summer, tried for a seat upstairs but had no luck! Wouldn't say it was significantly more comfortable than other long haul aircraft (in fact the Singapore Airlines 777 from Fukuoka seemed much more roomy but that was nearly empty!) but the big difference you will notice is in how quiet it is. You can barely hear the engines.

keltic
15th Dec 2008, 21:05
It seems that getting a seat upstairs is everyone main objective :\:) Thanks

Rush2112
16th Dec 2008, 04:34
SQ's new economy seats in the 380 and their 777ER are OK, but at the end of the day, it gets dark, and they are still economy seats. I flew SIN - CDG - SIN earlier in the year on the 777ER in economy and it wasn't that wonderful an experience, certainly compared to their adverts. The legroom is adequate (I'm 5ft 11), and the seat cushioning is adequate as well, nothing more.

I cannot imagine the 380 will be that much better.

It will be a lot quieter than any other large plane you may have been on before, I did SIN - NRT - SIN on the 380 in Raffles Class and it was noticeably quieter. Either that I had gone deaf.

Whatisthematrix
16th Dec 2008, 10:44
I was told that seat 71H on the SQ A380 Upper deck is the one to go for if you do travel in economy.

Sadly I ended up in 53C on my night flight from SIN-LHR (main deck). Anyhow, any exit row seat will give you more leg room but if you cannot get one of those, I would go for any other aisle seat just for the convienience of being able to easily get up and move around.

keltic
16th Dec 2008, 10:54
The problem is that SIA passengers paying the same than Virgin ticket holders, are able to reserve seats from the very beggining. So I assume SIA passagers get all the nicest ones from the SIA website :confused:

I am sure they will be much better than Iberia A340-600 for longhaul........:{