PDA

View Full Version : What equipment do I need?

Greg2041
13th Dec 2008, 12:23
Okay so I have done a few hours flying and in this weather and a knee op in the New Year it looks like I won't be doing much more.

I am on a PPL/ATPL programme and with Christmas approaching and gifts in the offering, can any of you learned pilots advise me on the "right" type of Flight Computer e.g. Pooleys CRP-1; AFE ARC-1 etc.

Also Logbooks. Is there a standard? Should I go for a CAA or ASA one and is size important? .... Ladies, I know what the answer is but I'm asking about logbooks!

Okay, and almost finally as a tall bloke which kneeboard would be most appropriate. Should I go for an A5 sized one.

Brands, models and types very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Greg

RTN11
13th Dec 2008, 13:21
I believe the examiners that set the CAA exams use the pooleys CRP-5 flight computer, so it would probably be a good idea to get that one. Got me through Gen Nav ok.

Shunter
13th Dec 2008, 16:10
If you're going on to CPL, don't mess about with a CRP-1. It's perfectly adequate for the PPL exams, but you'll need the CRP-5 for ATPL so might aswell just get one from the off. I'd recommend an A4 kneeboard - much easier to draw lines in flight for doing diversions during skills tests etc. Make sure you get one with a hole punched in the corner so you can clip a stopwatch to it - you'll need one of those when you get onto instrument flying for timed turns etc.

As far as logbooks go, take your pick. You won't be needing a pro logbook for a good while yet, so the standard little ones are probably sufficient.

Nice-to-have things are a Pooley's RNP-1 (combined ruler/protractor), and some Transair VORTRACKs which are excellent for doing quick, precise position fixes.

potkettleblack
15th Dec 2008, 12:48
CRP5 wins hands down everytime for the reasons aforementioned. Also your instructor is likely to have one as well which will make it a hell of a lot easier for them to give you hands on demos of how the thing works.

I had and loved my A5 kneeboard. It was a tri fold jobby from the US. Had pockets to slip in charts, your plog sat in a clip in front and there were pen holders as well.

I would opt for a pro logbook now. Simple reason. When you get to filling in lots of application forms for the CAA you will see that they want your hours split in a myriad of different ways. Instrument vs IFR time, multi engine piston vs single engine piston, PIC vs p/ut vs p1/s, x-country, sim time vs flying time - the list goes on. Get a small book and you might find you don't have enough columns and you need to then construct a spreadsheet to work it all out. Chances are you will split the numbers wrong first time and end up tearing your hair out having to redo forms etc. The added bonus is that when you land that first professional job you will have all the right columns for multi pilot, PIC, co-pilot, sim etc ready to go and no need to carry forward hours from previous PPL logbooks.

Jimmy The Big Greek
15th Dec 2008, 14:05
Personally I never used a flight computer. I prefer to use formulas for all of my calculations. I find it much more accurate and less time consuming. Just buy a casio calculator and you will be fine. It has a very nice function when calculating time related questions. You can find the formulas needed on the web. Even crosswinds/headwinds calculations.

Regarding the knee board I never liked it. I use a normal A4 backboard. Try to do some modifications to it and put a Green or red light to it so you can use it during night.

The only thing I really can recommend investing money in is the bristol question banks. Really helpful. I passed all my examinations in one attempt and I got 100% in 3 subjects. Also its REALLY worth spending money in the Oxford meteorological CBT. No teacher can explain this difficult subject as this program. Even if you just go for the ppl I highly recommend you to buy this program.
Also spend money on a good flashlight and a timer.

Good luck

TFlexMax80
15th Dec 2008, 14:52
CRP-5 gets my vote! :ok:

Greg2041
15th Dec 2008, 18:22
Thanks People. So far the majority suggest I need:

1/ CRP-5

2/ A4 kneeboard

3/ Pooley's RNP-1 (combined ruler/protractor),

4/ Transair VORTRACKs (whatever that is...)

..... and variations on a theme.

So, is there anything else??????

What about a Pilot Case? Is one needed? What do you use/recommend?

Thanks

Greg

chrisbl
15th Dec 2008, 18:46
Forget the pilot case, a backpack will do for this stuff. Why waste money?

RTN11
16th Dec 2008, 21:42
One of these

Transair Radio Navigation Plotter (http://www.transair.co.uk/product4.asp?SID=2&Product_ID=978)

is very useful for the in flight diverstions they throw at you, and for navigating using VORs.