PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Strainers

Duchess_Driver
13th Dec 2008, 10:42
Have looked in some of the usual places for a fuel tester that strains the water out so you can re-use clean fuel.

Can find them on US web-sites - but not in the U.K.

Anybody know where I can buy some of these please.

PM if you prefer to avoid being accused of advertising.

Many thanks

BackPacker
13th Dec 2008, 11:38
FWIW, mine is called "the GATS jar". It's one of those bulky ones with a fine mesh screen in it. If the screen is wet with water, it only allows water through, not fuel. If the screen is wet with fuel, it only allows fuel through, not water. And in all cases it filters out small particles, so after a while you need to undo the lid and wash the whole thing out. The top bit can be reversed so that it's adaptable to both Piper and Cessna-type fuel drains.

It's not an address yet, but if you google on the name you might find some place to buy it.

jonkil
13th Dec 2008, 16:14
You ned "Mr. Funnell"....
see Mr. Funnel filter separates water from fuel (http://www.microlightsport.co.uk/Catalogue/New/New_List/new_list_5.htm)

Duchess_Driver
13th Dec 2008, 17:14
Thanks Backpacker.

Have seen that one on the US web-sites.

Jonks - thanks.

Genghis the Engineer
13th Dec 2008, 18:03
I agree with Jonkil - Mr Funnel is by far the best I've ever used and they're readily available in the UK.

Buy the biggest you've got storage space for - they're much more user friendly.

G

Genghis the Engineer
13th Dec 2008, 20:33
I wanted to save the unwanted fuel from my strainer so I put it in my Zippo and lit a cigar, but the flame was so bug I lit my eyebrows and dropped the zippo as it was red hot. how can I reduce the flame to a more managable size?

Should I mix avgas with Jet A1? and if so what ratio mix?

Shorten the wick in your Zippo?

G

cockney steve
13th Dec 2008, 22:26
[QUOTE][/Shorten the wick in your Zippo?QUOTE]

bloody softy :}

1- buy bigger cigars
2 hold base of Zippo and learn the wrist-flick /strike across jeans tricks that were the height of cool 40 years ago.
3 hold lighter higher,if you really must puff cigar to light it-so then you don't bend over the flame :)

Skyhawk Pilot
15th Dec 2008, 09:10
I like the smaller cigars, (don't want to look like an american) and the striking on the trousers bit could be dodgy without nomex ...
100LL really is a lot more volitile than your standard lighter fluid,

Can anyone come up with any useful alternative ideas for all the cup fulls of avgas lashed onto the grass?:ouch:

jonkil
15th Dec 2008, 09:35
I like the smaller cigars, (don't want to look like an american) and the striking on the trousers bit could be dodgy without nomex ...
100LL really is a lot more volitile than your standard lighter fluid,

Can anyone come up with any useful alternative ideas for all the cup fulls of avgas lashed onto the grass?

To prevent eyebrows being torched have them cleanly removed by the hot wax method by a blonde in a beauty salon (I have no experience of this, but it sounds OK). You will look like a poof, but at least a poof who still has eyes. :sad:
My Mr funnel slops go in the lawnmower, but then again you rich boys have slaves to cut your grass !! :E

BackPacker
15th Dec 2008, 10:29
Can anyone come up with any useful alternative ideas for all the cup fulls of avgas lashed onto the grass?

Even with one of those fuel strainers with a mesh, which would theoretically allow me to put things back, the stuff has to be discarded anyway. The Robins I fly most of the time have a center fuselage fuel tank with the filler at the side. The hole is simply not big enough to allow me to put the fuel back in without spilling at least half over the fuselage side.

Skyhawk Pilot
15th Dec 2008, 10:55
Do you find the lawnmower cuts the grass faster on AVGAS than unleaded?
If so are you an F1 lawnmower driver?
I was thinking of wearing a full face crash helmet and drilling a 10mm hole for the cigar then closing the visor before lighting up....

If it dosn't work I will send you the helmet for safer driving of your wheelspinning lawn mower, especially for a hairpin round the flower bed.

SNS3Guppy
15th Dec 2008, 11:11
Fuel drained for sampling should not be put back in the tank.

Don't put it in your cigarette lighter either. Bad idea.

Fright Level
15th Dec 2008, 11:55
Fuel drained for sampling should not be put back in the tank

Why not? If no trace of water, then surely it's greener to pour it back in the tanks. It was flying in USA that first introduced me to this concept as a UK pilot I'd always chucked it onto the grass.

The other posts remind me of a mate who put a few dashes of Castrol racing oil in his lawnmower. Smelt like a Grand Prix when he cut the grass ;-)

Skyhawk Pilot
15th Dec 2008, 12:09
I have never done that as I don't have a lawn, BUT I have put Jet A1 in a Diesel Landrover, a 50 50 ratio mix with normal DERV, I am told if you ran it on neat A1 the injector pump would fail due to lack of lube.
Well it went on for thousands of miles and on tour in southern Spain and back so it's Thumbs up to Jet A1 in a diesel landrover.
The other good thing was it is clear (unlike tax free RED diesel) so it came out yellow when mixed with normal road fuel when dipped by customs.

The latest one is mixing diesel with sunflower oil from the supermarket....

Mariner9
15th Dec 2008, 14:25
The other good thing was it is clear (unlike tax free RED diesel) so it came out yellow when mixed with normal road fuel when dipped by customs.

Can still be detected analytically :=.