PDA

View Full Version : Unable to access Memory Stick.

doubleu-anker
13th Dec 2008, 06:33
Hi All

Bought a memory stick recently. The first sign of anything unusual was I needed to remove stick from computer and re attach it, after a period of inactivity, to re access information. Now it will not work and no "flickering" light. Properties says stick is full, with 0 bytes used and 0 available.

Any ideas, apart from binning it?

Rwy in Sight
13th Dec 2008, 08:02
Have you try to re-start the computer with the memory stick in place?

Rwy in Sight

42ongo
13th Dec 2008, 09:34
Try using one of the other USB ports
on the PC..................... works sometimes
good luck

Two_dogs
13th Dec 2008, 21:55
Or try, right click, format, in explorer.

AKAFresh
13th Dec 2008, 22:16
Note; formatting will result in you lose all the data on the stick.

Alternatively you could try it on another PC to see if its anything to do with your computer.

doubleu-anker
14th Dec 2008, 01:10
Thanks so far but tried most of those.

Will wait on the format as some of the data is not backed up.

Keep them coming please!

Bushfiva
14th Dec 2008, 03:40
Check out Convar's PC Inspector. It's freeware, and has worked for me a couple of times recovering photos from recalcitrant media.

doubleu-anker
14th Dec 2008, 06:27
Bushfiva, thanks.

Good suggestion and software but the software is not recognizing the existence of the stick.

green granite
14th Dec 2008, 07:03
About the only thing you can try now is applying gentle pressure to the stick or slightly twisting it to see if its minor break inside the device and if the computer will recognize it just long enough to get the data off. .

Golden Ticket
14th Dec 2008, 08:13
I had this problem with a memory card reader on my laptop which wouldn't work after a windows update. Try system restore to see if that works. I found a problem with the driver after that and reverted to a windows driver
and it was fine.