PDA

View Full Version : AOL

McDoo
12th Dec 2008, 15:57
I'm signed up with a company called AOL 9.0 VR (not responding).:ugh:

This seems like an unneccessarily long name for my ISP. Is there anything I can do to just use AOL 9.0 VR?

Cheers,

McD.

Keef
12th Dec 2008, 16:23
I suspect you're signed up with the wonderful 20th Century internet alternative called AOL, and what you have is the version 9, "Vista Ready" edition of their software. They probably haven't heard yet that Vista is out on the market, and "Ready" needs to become "Enabled".

My own inclination would be to change ISP to one of the green-coloured ones here (http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php). Avoid the darker shades of red on that chart.

McDoo
12th Dec 2008, 17:48
Cheers Keef. Very interesting stuff...

EI-WAT
12th Dec 2008, 18:37
God that website is very very out of date for AOL lol

call100
12th Dec 2008, 20:31
I agree you should ditch AOL asap but don't use that site for any comparisons it is hopelessly out of date.

Keef
12th Dec 2008, 22:16
The price and package details on that website are indeed very out of date, but the customer ratings and reports are current: have a browse!

call100
13th Dec 2008, 09:24
Try this site as well..............Broadband Reviews - Independent broadband customers reviews & ratings (http://www.broadband-reviews.co.uk/)

Flame Lily FX
13th Dec 2008, 10:34
I am on AOL 9 VR and every 10 minutes I go into freeze mode and then get logged off. I really do not want to phone Rashid (aka Basil) or Surinda (aka Godfrey) for a pleasant chat.:confused::) I miss those Oirish accents which I could listen to for hours!;)

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

FLFX

gas path
13th Dec 2008, 10:48
Is it just me, but I've never had a problem with AOL? A steady upgrade in speed over the years and when questioned they did admit that I would be very lucky to get the full advertised speed as it depended on the distance from the exchange. (It also turns out that I've got what BT euphamistically call 'white copper'...aluminium to the rest of us!)
Cannot comment on the customer services as the last time I dealt with them they were based in Ireland.
Their browser works well IMO as it's a 'bastardised' version of IE. I actually prefer it to firefox, which I also play with.
Currently XP pro SP3 and IE8 beta. (Pprune displays better in compatability mode with IE8.)
Just my twopence worth:ok::8

Flame Lily FX
13th Dec 2008, 11:16
gas path

I had a better service when I was on dial up. I'm with Virgin broadband so wonder if that is part of the problem.:ooh::{

mcdhu
13th Dec 2008, 13:34
I'm with gas path. Been with AOL since I got my first PC in 2000(?). Started with dialup and graduated to Bb. I get about 3-4Meg and good stability with a Netgear modem router supplied by AOL.

Cheers all
mcdhu

call100
14th Dec 2008, 11:38
I'm with Virgin broadband so wonder if that is part of the problem.http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/icon25.gifhttp://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/boohoo.gif

I'm with VM BB I have the 10M service and it is brilliant. Contstant speed and no outages.

Flame Lily FX
14th Dec 2008, 16:19
I'm with VM BB I have the 10M service and it is brilliant. Contstant speed and no outages.

It must be me then.:eek::p:uhoh:

call100
15th Dec 2008, 14:19
I guess so......:} I think that with VM problems vary by region. As I say, personally I have none. (touch wood).

allymc316
18th Dec 2008, 13:27
Im with aol, no probs in 7 years. Dont install any aol software. Just log onto the router and put your details on it manually. All you have to do is connect to the router either wirelessly or ethernet and click on your IE icon. Simple, straight connection no waiting for the broadband to connect similar to a dial up connection. I have noticed much faster speeds when I ditched it!

Aol are not the worst ISP. Their software on the other hand is as bad as BT ....:mad:

merlinxx
18th Dec 2008, 14:04
Since CarPhoneWhorehouse bought them, they just got so shagged out that I as and old loyal customer (first signed in the US) dumped them:mad: Bloody awful service, customer service, bunch of feckwit numpties in India, who have no idea what one is talking about, let alone understand slowly spoken precise English:ugh::ugh:

AOL UK is not AOL US !, AOL UK is Carphonewhorehouse & a few others, all based in LUX:suspect: