PDA

View Full Version : Canada/Florida?

SAS-A321
12th Dec 2008, 15:26
I have been looking at some schools in Florida, but I am also looking at Moncton Flight College in Canada and their ICPC.

Is it possible to work as an instructor (or maybe an other flying job) in Canada like in the US on the J1 visa?

Is it just as good to have a Canadian license as a FAA licence?

Are there any flying in snowy conditions?

Any other things that should be taken into consideration if I am going to Canada.

TopGunGB
12th Dec 2008, 20:49
SAS-A321,

I was at Moncton for my PPL. For the Visa, I'm not entirely sure how that would work. But I know there are a few non-Canadians working as instructors in Moncton. So I'd venture a guess that there are reasonable grounds to work there.

As for FAA v. Canadian, they're pretty well on par with one another, but I have been told that the Canadian license is a bit better in terms of the training.

Snowy conditions don't necessarily ground aircraft, but while doing my PPL at Moncton there was no flying if snow was falling because the training aircraft were not certified for operation in icing conditions. Exceptionally cold days (in the order of minus 20 degrees C or so) would ground the aircraft as well until the temperature rises a bit.

Canada as whole is a great place to live, and Moncton is no exception to that. It's a great little city with a lot to offer. There's excellent shopping, the people are great and the nightlife is surprisingly good. The quality of life is great as well. Living expenses are quite low and the public transport is also very good given Moncton's size. Overall it's a fantastic place. If you do decide to make a home for yourself there, you won't be disappointed.

Best of luck! :)

SAS-A321
14th Dec 2008, 09:45
Thanks for your reply TopGunGB.

Is it necessary to take the initial Canadian Class 1 medical in Canada or can it be done, by an approved CAME in my own country?

justifier
14th Dec 2008, 10:37
I have been at Moncton Flight College as well a small while ago. If have been there in the summer so I can not comment on the flying in the winter but can comment on some other things. The public transport is quiet good but if you really need to get somewhere or go for shopping, a car is really needed. That was my experience. For a town like Moncton there was surprisingly much to do but there were also some slow days. I think the people in Canada are much friendlier than in the USA

about MFC it self, I loved it when I was there but I have heard that is changed quiet about in the last couple of months. I have completely no idea if it good even better of worse.

I am not sure about a visa for Canada. I know you can stay in Canada for 6 months without needing one, but I am not sure which or what visa you need to get.