PDA

View Full Version : automatic logging of ADSL speed and data volumes carried

The late XV105
12th Dec 2008, 15:09
Before I call my ISP (BT) I would like to have a log both of internet connectivity performance spanning an extended period of time and data traffic volumes downloaded and uploaded.

Can any PPRuNer recommend a free of low cost utility that will do this logging automatically for me, please?

Appologies if my search missed an appropriate existing post.

Some background to my request:

When working in the UK I do so predominately from home in a Warwickshire village and the global nature of my role means this is typically a ten hour period somewhere between 06:00am GMT and 04:00am GMT. My work laptop runs 24x7x365 and is connected to the office network via Cisco VPN 24 hours a day too (well, apart from the brief periods following the 24hour time out policy that exists)

Add my personal internet usage and it's fair to say I have a very good picture of my ADSL connection's likely performance for any hour of the day or day of the year.

It has historically followed the predictable pattern of blazing fast during the wee small hours and on until lunch time, whereupon it drops to merely "fastish" and then slows down gradually more until all the local kids come home from school. It then falls off a cliff until about 10:00pm GMT before gradually picking up again.

Of late (the last two weeks, and regular as clockwork each day), the falling off a cliff bit has become ridiculous. This is borne out by daytime tests of typically 6.5Mbps/448kbps/60ms to the Maidenhead server of speedtest.net becoming 1.5Mbps/28kbps (yes, twenty eight)/208ms during peak internet activity of an evening. Tests to other servers bring much the same result. Historically I have experienced 3Mbps/300kbps/75ms at the same time of day.

Connection is as utterly reliable (total stability) as it has been for the two years I have had it and I live a mere 100 metres line of sight to the exchange. None of my immediate neighbours (20 or so houses) are bit torrenters and my house does NOT have the bell wire connected. Yes, I work from home, but can't believe I am anywhere near the elusive BT fair usage limit and therefore am being subject to capping. My wifi router logs show that nobody is piggybacking on my service and in any case for them to be in range I would probably see them if they were!

Saab Dastard
12th Dec 2008, 15:42
Free tools in Windows XP itself would be perfmon (Network, bytes sent, bytes received counters) logged to a file, and Ping -t (continuous) piped to a text file. It is quite neat to create a batch file, starting with Date and Time commands, then the Ping command to give you a timestamp.

It may be possible to terminate the ping after a set time, but I've never tried. If necessary, just add the stop time by hand.

Note that a continuous ping for a very extended time might trigger a paranoid response from the remote host firewall, so use with consideration!

Netstat might help you to see the data volumes transferred, so you might want to see what it can do.

SD

The late XV105
12th Dec 2008, 19:25
Thanks, SD.
I will see what I can do.

Of course the ping approach (to a device outside my home network) is valid with your suggestion, but with multiple devices on the home network I'd rather log the actual data volume carried over the ADSL connection than what each device handles via it's connection to the home network; I do a lot of file sharing within the network that will distort things. This implies I need a way of running a script on my BT Home Hub. It already shows me the dat volumes uploaded and downloaded since last power-on but I want to save this data to a file with timestamps to show how it develops. I also want to log the actual ADSL speed automatically with timestamps too to a file too, so I'm still open to suggestions.

Cheers,
XV105

The Flying Pram
13th Dec 2008, 14:19
I used Bandwidth Monitor (http://www.rokario.com/products/bandmon/2-0/) for a while. Not sure if it would help you, but there's a basic (freeware) version as well as a paid for one.

The late XV105
15th Dec 2008, 21:03
Thanks for the suggestion, TFP, but having taken a look at it Bandwidth Monitor doesn't do what I wish to do; it's logging what is sent from and received by the PC it is installed on, not what is actually sent up and down the ADSL pipe in to the house together with a logged latency check to a given server.