PDA

View Full Version : SATA Drive problems

BeachedWhale
12th Dec 2008, 10:34
Can someone please guide me through this problem.

I have installed a Seagate Barracuda 500Gb internal hard drive onto an ASRock 775V88+ motherboard with an Intel 4 3.00GHz processor. This drive is in addition to an IDE drive which is nearly full. I am using Windows Vista Ultimate.

The Bios recognises the drive, but when windows starts up it runs in 4 second bursts and appears to stop between these bursts. When eventually loaded, Disc management does not show the drive and it can not be initialised or formatted.

Disconnect the drive, all returns to normal.

Any Ideas please, I have checked the various manufacturers web sites to no avail.

Saab Dastard
12th Dec 2008, 12:32
Two things come to mind -

Firstly, have you installed the SATA host adapter driver for Vista? It should be supplied with the mobo (or download it).

Secondly, does the mobo support 150 or 300MB/s SATA drives?

If the former, and the drive is 300MB/s, you can use the jumper block adjacent to the SATA interface connector on SATA 300MB/s drives to force the drive into SATA 150MB/s mode (for use with older SATA controllers that only work with SATA 150MB/s drives).

SD

BeachedWhale
12th Dec 2008, 12:52
Thanks DS I will try and download sata drives from MS, I didnt know it was required

Saab Dastard
12th Dec 2008, 13:47
It's not MS that you need to go to for drivers, it's ASRock.

You might also check to see that Vista is a supported OS, and if you need to install a BIOS update.

SD

twiggs
12th Dec 2008, 18:38
As far as I can tell, there are no drivers needed for SATA if you have Windows already installed and have a sufficiently recent bios (1.30 or later).
If you are installing Windows fresh to the SATA, you may need the floppy version of the drivers which are available on the ASRock website (http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=775V88%2B).
All that is required for the addition of the SATA disk to an already running system is to ensure the correct setting is selected in the bios setup>SATA operation mode.
This board only runs at 1.5 Mb/s for SATA and the disks are hot swappable.

Saab Dastard
12th Dec 2008, 22:16
Twiggs, I'm sure you are right, but I hope it supports 1.5Gb/s!! :)

SD