PDA

View Full Version : Ex RAF pilot needs help

snapper1
12th Dec 2008, 09:30
I am a case worker with SSAFA Forces Help located in the north of England. A friend of mine is an ex RAF fast jet pilot and he needs help. Although one of my SSAFA colleagues is involved with the case, I wonder if there are any informal support mechanisms that Pruners may know of that might be able to provide additional help. The subject has serious alcohol problems and is technically homeless. SSAFA have helped by arranging temporary accomodation and are continuing to help in other practical ways. Any ideas? Please post here, or you could send me a private message.
Thanks.

Wader2
12th Dec 2008, 09:36
RAFA? They might help, or the Benevolunt Fund.

occhips
12th Dec 2008, 10:25
Dont forget the the British Legion as well. PM if you need contact details for them,RAFA or the RAF BF.

Good luck.

Vortex_Generator
12th Dec 2008, 11:36
I would hope that none of you ever find yourselves in similar circumstances, but RAFA is there for those who are in need, so:
JOIN

BentleyTheDog
12th Dec 2008, 13:04
... serious alcohol problems and is technically homeless.It's a pilot thing. Unfortunately most of us enjoy drinking and then some bird chucks us out onto the streets.

Yellow Sun
12th Dec 2008, 14:28
snapper 1,

You have a Private Message.

YS

snapper1
12th Dec 2008, 14:37
Thanks YS.
I'll try both of those tips.
You are quite right in sensing that I'm looking for something more personal than the usual formal, though excellent agencies.
S1

minigundiplomat
12th Dec 2008, 16:41
People seem to have missed the question, why is he in an alcoholic haze?

Maybe Combat Stress could help.

Jackonicko
12th Dec 2008, 20:15
If he wants help to change, then couldn't someone on PPRuNe launch a justgiving page to raise funds for some kind of 'drying out clinic'?

At Christmas, there might be a fair few PPRuNers willing to give the price of a bottle of good Scotch to help out someone who hasn't been as lucky as most of us?

Just a thought.

airborne_artist
12th Dec 2008, 20:58
I've got a watertight caravan out by the stables that's easily hooked up to the mains if he wants a basha for free. Cold running water just outside the door, and all the **** he'd can shovel instead of rent. Quite a long walk to the nearest offie/hostelry, too. I'll collect him from the train if someone buys a single to Cholsey for him.

Seriously, this is where the regimental system really scores. The RN and RAF, while their intentions are good, don't do family like regiments do. That said, loads of ex-soldiers seem to end up in night shelters too, so it's not completely perfect.

Jackonicko
12th Dec 2008, 21:47
Good for you AA. Top man.

NutLoose
13th Dec 2008, 00:32
JackonickoGood for you AA. Top man.

And I will second that :D

glum
13th Dec 2008, 11:48
Great offer of the caravan, but I would hope the guy has some of his own friends who can take him in and help him through the bad stuff.

It's what we do for our personal friends in need that really shows charity, not simply tossing a coin in a bucket.

snapper1
13th Dec 2008, 12:55
Thanks,
I'm getting some really helpful posts, particularly some private ones including some who've figured out who the subject is.
I'm hopeful that his old mates can rally round, as I'm sure they can make a big difference.
Please get involved if you think you can help.
Thanks everyone, well, almost everyone!
snapper.

Al R
13th Dec 2008, 16:30
Snapper,

Good luck to your mate. If he's reading this, I hope he takes heart. On the plus side, tell him that although he may be currently homeless that can easily change.

FJJP
14th Dec 2008, 19:07
I have had a lot of top rate help from the British Legion - they will allocate a case officer who will have tons of good info pertinent to the guy's problem and how to help sort it. If they cannot fix it themselves they will know a man who can.

Give them a call and explain the case and they will take it from there.

RETDPI
14th Dec 2008, 20:04
Has anybody checked to see if this guy actuallly wants or will accept help?
I had dealings years ago with a terminal alcoholic ex- Vulcan pilot.
Despite all the "weeping willows", this guy was determined on his course in life.
You couldn't stop him.
His life, his choice.
ENDEX.

FJJP
14th Dec 2008, 21:18
Snapper1 is a SSAFA case officer.

I accept that an individual may not want help, or may not want anybody to interfere. However, he may have sunk into depths of dispair and can't find a way out, which is where Snapper1 could come in. Just by explaining to the guy that he is not alone and there is help available may be what he really wants.

Worth a try.

Good luck, Snapper1. I hope the guy takes all the help that is offered.