PDA

View Full Version : Boeing Announces New 787 Schedule

BOEING777X
11th Dec 2008, 12:38
Boeing Schedules 787 Dreamliner First Flight for Second Quarter 2009; First Delivery for First Quarter 2010 - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Boeing-Schedules-787-prnews-13804910.html)

EVERETT, Wash., Dec. 11 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Boeing (NYSE: BA - News) today announced an updated schedule (http://www.fleetbuzzeditorial.com/2008/12/11/787delay) for its all-new 787 Dreamliner program that moves the commercial jet's first flight into the second quarter of 2009 and first delivery into the first quarter of 2010. The new schedule reflects the impact of disruption caused by the recent Machinists' strike along with the requirement to replace certain fasteners in early production airplanes.

"Our industry team has made progress with structural testing, systems hardware qualification, and production, but we must adjust our schedule for these two unexpected disruptions," said Boeing Commercial Airplanes President and CEO Scott Carson.

Prior to the strike that halted much of the company's commercial airplane work from early September into November, the 787 was to make its first flight late in the fourth quarter of 2008. First delivery was slated for the third quarter of 2009.

"We're laser focused on what needs to be done to prepare for first flight," said Pat Shanahan, 787 program vice president. "We will overcome this set of circumstances as we have others in the past, and we understand clearly what needs to be done moving forward."

Doodles
11th Dec 2008, 14:40
May well be more delays yet - becoming a real problem now for those with the earlier deliveries as a number of aircraft to be replaced will need leases extending or refinancing. Tough year ahead for Boeing...

racedo
11th Dec 2008, 16:40
Goes down to the old
Sales and Marketing promise it by this date
Finance announce it will make a profit by this date
Manufacturing and Engineering look at the dates and laugh and say no chance but do everything to try and deliver to the dates as otherwise they get canned for being negative.

11th Dec 2008, 17:10
Goes down to the old
Sales and Marketing promise it by this date
Finance announce it will make a profit by this date
Manufacturing and Engineering look at the dates and laugh and say no chance but do everything to try and deliver to the dates as otherwise they get canned for being negative.

One of the reasons Boeing moved corporate headquarters to Chicago was “…to get the engineers out of the board room”. It looks like that didn't work so well.

BOEING777X
12th Dec 2008, 15:00
May well be more delays yet - becoming a real problem now for those with the earlier deliveries as a number of aircraft to be replaced will need leases extending or refinancing. Tough year ahead for Boeing...

In a way, the decline in pax loads means that despite oil price declines, some customers wont be in too much of a hurry if there is (yet) another 787 delay.

Doodles
12th Dec 2008, 18:33
some customers wont be in too much of a hurry if there is (yet) another 787 delay.

Some may well be needing the compensation cheques to keep on coming :-) -although delays due to a strike will of course be exempt from the compensation formulae!!!

mickyman
15th Dec 2008, 16:37
I agree that the compo cheques will be welcomed by
most customers......

I find myself forgetting the look of the aircraft its been sooo long
in the hanger!

(Its a cross between a winglet fitted 767 and the nose of a VC-10
isnt it?)

MM

chrisbl
15th Dec 2008, 19:16
I am sure that Boeing will be feeling a little embarrassed about the ribbing they gave Airbus for the delays on the A380.

racedo
15th Dec 2008, 20:52
In months how late was A380 V original timetable ?

ManofMan
15th Dec 2008, 20:54
I have to doff my cap tp Boeing on this one...the 787 really is a green aircraft... years after the inital plans, years after all the orders and emmisions are still zero.....if only Airbus could learn from this.

Without a shadow of a doubt an eco warriors favorite aircraft!!

11Fan
15th Dec 2008, 22:13
chrisbl,

I would suggest that the people who actually work at Boeing were not the ones who were "ribbing" (as you suggest) Airbus for their delays because we live in a glass house as well.

Hardly wise to cast stones when down the road the same stones would be picked up and cast right back.

Now, ribbing of anything else is fair game. :E

BOEING777X
16th Dec 2008, 10:11
I am sure that Boeing will be feeling a little embarrassed about the ribbing they gave Airbus for the delays on the A380.

If anything, quite the opposite is true, at least publicly anyway:

The A380 rolls out (http://boeingblogs.com/randy/archives/2005/01/the_a380_rolls_out.html)

Without question the A380 is a great engineering and industrial achievement. We congratulate Airbus on reaching this significant milestone. The people who designed it and put it together should be proud.

Big delivery (http://boeingblogs.com/randy/archives/2007/10/big_delivery.html)

But regardless of our differences in philosophies, there’s no doubt that a tip of the hat is in order to Airbus on this milestone. We also salute Singapore Airlines, a great customer of ours and a leader in commercial aviation. Congratulations on a big delivery.

It'd be interesting if you could show us an example of Boeing staff ribbing the A380 delays in public :)

N707ZS
16th Dec 2008, 10:20
New web site for the plastic plane fans.

Reliant Owners Club (http://www.reliantownersclub.co.uk/enter.html)