PDA

View Full Version : Damp mike

Lister Noble
11th Dec 2008, 11:09
I flew on Monday in the Cub,it was very cold and my breath was condensing on the mike,which eventually led to a lot of noise,in fact so much that I switched the radio off until I returned near the circuit.

The mike has a foam cover which is still on and I have the headset in the study,out of the case to dry out.

Two questions,will it cause any permanaent damage and is there any sort of cover available for the mike to prevent this happeneing.
Headset is a Pilot DNC noise cancelling type.
Lister:)

west lakes
11th Dec 2008, 12:32
Possibly not approved, but used in the entertainment indutry for outside events. If the foam is removable put a single layer of cling film on. Works on top of the cover but looks poor!

Lister Noble
11th Dec 2008, 14:56
Thank you,
Sorry to be thick,but do I remove the foam and put the cling film over the mike, or put the film over the foam cover ?

west lakes
11th Dec 2008, 17:04
but do I remove the foam and put the cling film over the mike, or put the film over the foam cover

Either would work.

Only remove the foam cover if it is designed to be removed though.

Can't absolutely guarantee it as a solution but it's worth a try

J.A.F.O.
11th Dec 2008, 20:36
Lister

You can buy leather covers for the mike (designed for open cockpits to reduce wind noise, I think).

Couldn't find the one I've got but:

Mic Cover (http://www.transair.co.uk/product4.asp?CustomerID=6916954&ACBSessionID=5b2B4J8QrcPFpiOlAI3u&SID=2&Product_ID=1818)

looks similar.

Lister Noble
12th Dec 2008, 08:30
JAFO,thank you ,I knew they were available but they were not on the two shops I looked at.
That and the cling film alreadymentioned should sort me out!
It is not usually a problem ,but it was cold and my breath was steaming.
Lister

J.A.F.O.
12th Dec 2008, 09:32
Lister, no worries; however, using a radio in a Cub? :=

Is that allowed?

FantomZorbin
12th Dec 2008, 09:33
... or you could stop dribbling Lister :}

Happy Christmas!

Lister Noble
12th Dec 2008, 11:32
Thanks for that.

I went to the doctor with fluid on the knee,he told me I wasn't aiming straight.:}

Have a happy one,must drop in one day.

JAFO,
Normally use radio in circuit then listen out on Norwich.

I believe some of the professional pilots flying privately around here use their radio sparingly,reckon they have enough of it at work;)

The Flying Pram
13th Dec 2008, 14:40
Maplins sell foam microphone windshields (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=3559), if you need a replacement.

Lister Noble
13th Dec 2008, 15:09
Thanks,I've already ordered a DC cloth cover to go over the foam.