PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts about uk2.net as a domain registrar?

amanoffewwords
10th Dec 2008, 21:41
I need to transfer my ltd.uk domain away from easyspace and their extravagant domain renewal prices (£45.99 for 1 year!!).

I found that uk2.net are among the few that host this TLD for a mere £2.99 x year - the question is whether there is a catch, can I trust them etc?

Any thoughts?

gizmocat
11th Dec 2008, 08:25
I've used UK2 for about ten years now. Never had any problems. Full web hosting for my site with 500 MB space, unlimited e-mail and unlimited bandwidth is about £120 for two years. You can get cheaper deals though.

Bests
Giz

Keef
11th Dec 2008, 10:07
There's a difference between "registering with forwarding" (the going rate is around £3 a year) and "full hosting".

I use Fasthosts as "forwarder registrar" for a batch of domains. I have no webspace at Fasthosts: they all forward to the same webspace where I keep the various "sites". With stealth forwarding, it's not apparent to the casual clicker where they are hosted.

I doubt if that £2.99 a year includes any webspace. For that, you'd be looking at more like £45 - 50 a year. I have a separate US hosting company for another purpose, and they charge me $45 a year.

amanoffewwords
11th Dec 2008, 10:33
Thanks for the replies - I should have made it clearer that I just need to transfer the domain + redirect it to my dedicated server using DNS. But not at £45!

I think I might go for Fasthosts - 4p cheaper than uk2.net :ok: (or £40 cheaper than Easyspace :eek:).

amofw

frostbite
11th Dec 2008, 11:42
Is there going to be a transfer fee?

Some of those can be eye-watering.