PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair's new site: Destinations map

LH2
10th Dec 2008, 10:33
Greetings,

anybody knows what's up with Ryanair going with that stillborn Flash-wannabe from Microsoft (they call it Silverlight) in their new website?

I know that MS have of late been trying to push their "Web2.0" products by literally bribing people into using them (those of you with an IT background will know what I'm talking about), but between the recent website glitches causing downtime, and the huge inconvenience of using a technology which is obscure by all accounts I can't see how Ryanair would have got the sweet end of the deal this time.

I haven't been able to access the itinerary map on any of the computers I have tried, not even on the latest and spiffiest Windows machine here at work. I remember when Flash came out, they made sure the client would be widely available before they started rolling out content, which was never business-critical.

So, what is it going to take for Ryanair to go back to the old Flash-based destinations map, which was working just fine? If it ain't broke, FFS... :rolleyes:

(Incidentally, if any well-intentioned soul is thinking of giving me technical advice: don't. Not a luser by any stretch of the imagination :cool:)

davidjohnson6
10th Dec 2008, 10:48
Caveat - I'm not an expert on Flash or Silverlight

AFAIK, the old-style map didn't have a 'zoom in' feature. I can understand that with lots of airports, the map of Europe with all the labels might have looked rather busy / messy.

The new style map does however have a zoom-in capacity. Is this something which can be easily done in the latest version of Flash as well ? I'm guesing probably, yes.

Could also be that the person in the IT dept who'd been told to change the map on the website figured out how to do this in Silverlight but didn't have a clue about how to do it in Flash. Or, to be really cynical... the same person decided that Silverlight as a skill would be useful to have on his/her CV

raffele
10th Dec 2008, 12:10
Looks like it's possibly based on Microsoft Virtual Earth too...

TightSlot
10th Dec 2008, 14:44
Works just fine on a Mac, but then...

...most things do!

:E

WE992
10th Dec 2008, 14:57
It seems to work just fine using Vista for me.

CornishFlyer
10th Dec 2008, 20:48
Works just fine on a Mac, but then...

...most things do!That's only because there's so little software to run on them in the first place :ok:

johnnyDKD
6th Jan 2009, 22:46
long time reader here, but first post.

I found a flash version of the destination map here:
RyanAir.com - Where We Fly (http://ryan-h.com/ryanair-destinations-map.html)

hope you find this useful.