PDA

View Full Version : Best way to build time? (Sorry kinda long)

brlewis01
9th Dec 2008, 00:42
Hi Everyone,

I am recently unemployed in Michigan due to the lagging economy so I figured now is the best time to follow my dream of becoming a pilot. I don't have notions about flying for the big guys and would be happy with a career at a regional since I'm 35 and just starting this career.

My question comes in due to the fact that I don't have money for they quickie flight schools with the guaranteed interviews and flight instructor option nor do I have the credit for it. I will need Federal Student loans which only go for Approved schools. Fortunately Michigan is giving $10,000 to unemployed residents toward approved schooling and I have $20,000 GI Bill money left for an approved school. So basically I have selected an in-state college with an aviation program but I will graduate with only 250 hours. What would be a realistic way to gain hours if I am unable to secure a job instructing somewhere. I'm not looking for the fast or easy way, I know I will have to put my time in and am willing to work hard. Any ideas??

Thanks for your Ideas

Romeo India Xray
9th Dec 2008, 02:06
Glider towing, parachute dropping, banner towing, photographic sorties, get your CFI and start instructing. The point is, whatever you do, do it only because you have a passion for it. If you are towing gliders, do it because you love gliding - if you don't then you will very soon get p*$$ed off with your lot.

Btw, I dont think 35 really is too old. Here we have a guy who came about 3-4 years ago age (about) 43, with minimum flight time. He is now a training captain, and soon will be a TRE. Extra years often bring maturity and dedication that a younger person may not exhibit.

RIX