PDA

View Full Version : AVG Free update

Cornish Jack
8th Dec 2008, 11:19
'Tis the season to have problems - when is it not?
Have used AVG Free a/v for many years and it has been excellent. Updates have been straightforward - it indicates when they are needed and, given permission, goes on-line and downloads and installs. However, a few days ago when it indicated a need to update, it was unable to contact the home website. I tried direct contact with the grisoft website and the same thing. All attempts to contact the free areas are similarly affected. I note that there is now a UK site which appears OK but there is NO facility for the free program update. Anyone having similar problems??

P.Pilcher
8th Dec 2008, 11:43
Since AVG introduced automatic updating for its free software, the system seems to have worked reasonably well, but recently the update site has gone down occasionally. When this happens, AVG now whinges that it cannot update itself and puts a big "x" on its iconthat usually appears in the bottom RHS of the screen (oh what do you call that place?) This appears to indicate that AVG is dysfunctional and tries to make you panic that your virus protection is no longer available! It is however still there, AVG will continue to try and contact it's update website and when normal service is resumed, the "x" disappears so that the icon regains it's normal appearance. Of course this problem does not happen to Avast, it just seamlessly updates itself in the background and the only time you realise that you have got a problem is when your annual renewal certificate runs out, the software thus fails to update itself at all, and when it is out of date by a month or so, the Microsoft icon indicating that viris protection is not working appears.
I have just checked and my AVG(free) update system is still working normally

P.P.

gizmocat
8th Dec 2008, 13:26
Quote the bottom RHS of the screen (oh what do you call that place?)

'tis the 'system tray' Mr. P.:ok:

BTW, no problems here with AVG updates.

Bests
Giz

gehenna
8th Dec 2008, 13:30
Folks

I have had the occasional updating problem since installing the new version of AVG; I have found that the easy solution is to select 'Open AVG User Interface' from the tray, and then select the updating option on the left. This has worked fine so far.

Good Luck !!

G

jimtherev
8th Dec 2008, 14:37
Like most of us, I suspect, I've had the same refusal to update - even from the fully-open application, gehenna.

Could it be that AVG free is now so popular that the bandwith at the home site is congested, and the "browser" times out before download can happen? I've found that trying to update a few mins later nearly always works.

Jim

Cornish Jack
9th Dec 2008, 16:49
Thank you all.
I've tried updating from the open app but the same result - "can't find server". This happens also if I try direct connection to Grisoft themselves OR ANY site which refers to the FREE version. However if I try to connect to the UK site which (misleadingly!!) calls itself AVGFREE (or something similar), no problem - except that it doesn't offer an update for the free version!
Eventually I found a site which offered a download of the latest version of the real free program - downloaded and tried to install - installation aborted because the version of Windows on my machine doesn't meet the program spec!!! ??? It has been meeting the program spec for about eight or nine years to date, so what's the difference now??
IF (and it's a BIG if) the win XP Prof SP2 isn't suitable for AVGfree, presumably it won't suit the paid for version either.
I hate the idea of leaving AVG, having had such reassuring function previously but it seems I have no option. Any suggestions for a suitable and equally accomplished replacement - free, if possible and, if paid for, most definitely NOT McAfee or Norton!!:yuk:
TIA

BOAC
9th Dec 2008, 17:03
http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/348821-avg-8-free-issues.html

Cornish Jack
10th Dec 2008, 14:53
Thank you, BOAC.
"Curiouser and curiouser", said Alice!!
Very long and complicated saga of trying to download/install AVG - FAILED!!
Similar length process with Avast - success, sort of!!
Tried to update Avast - failed.
Changed to laptop - same result with AVG but managed by devious means to install Avast and ran it for boot check. Masses of 'nasties' and trojans -all deleted. Registered Avast and update completed.
Looks like the desktop will have a similar mess to clear and my reliance on AVG was misplaced??
Ain't pooters wunnerful??
Thanks all.

green granite
10th Dec 2008, 15:33
I too am getting p**ed of with AVG, since the last upgrade every time I use the IE tab in FF AVG warns me that there are lots of tracking cookies being installed :ugh:

I'm very tempted to go back to Mcafee virus scan, it always worked well for me and I can have a 2 m/c licence for £43