PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft hire in Belize, Central America

Flying Microphone
8th Dec 2008, 09:15
Hiya

I wonder if anyone can help me here. I just found out that I'm being posted to Belize in my job next spring (dirty work, but someone's gotta do it!).

Does anyone here know of any clubs/individuals in the country who wet lease light aircraft (172's/ PA 28's etc) to a UK PPL holder (300 plus hours).

I was in the country a few years back and started to chase the idea. The Belize CAA made me take an aviation law exam (based, incidentally around the 1977 ANO - that's 1977... not a typo! There were only 2 copies of said ANO in Belize to bone up from). Did that and then found that there was no real chance to hire light aircraft in the country (maybe to do with drug running?).

I'm likely to be in Belize for two years or so and am keen to keep my hours up and enjoy what will be a fantastic place from which to operate.

I've managed to fly in every location I've been based (including a 172 in the Falklands), so any help or advice would be really helpful.

Many thanks

Chris

SkyCamMK
8th Dec 2008, 12:10
It is 32 years since I was in Belize but you can Google to find the ultralight company that operates there for training!

Clue: BUFABelize.

Flying Microphone
26th Dec 2008, 21:58
Cheers SpyCamMK.

Have sent them an e-mail. Any other suggestions welcome.

Best wishes

Chris

AC-DC
27th Dec 2008, 19:24
This aircraft is based there ( N442KC_NewOwners (http://www.angelaircraft.com/Angel_N442KC.html) ) try to speak with the owner.

bluesilk
28th Dec 2008, 19:19
I was in Belize in the 1980s. I know a long time ago but at the Municipal Airport (just outside the city of Belize) there were a lot of light singles (and Twins) all of which were for hire. I simply flew a circuit with the "CFI" and they were mine for the renting. I imagine though that things must have changed by now. But certainly interesting places to fly to . Hope you enjoy it.:ok:

Flying Microphone
4th Jan 2009, 19:38
Cheers Bluesilk

I too remember seeing a number of light aircraft parked up at the Municipal Airport... some never seemed to move. I will take your advice and hang around to try and find the owners. Did you log many hours?

Best wishes

Chris