PDA

View Full Version : Burning DVDs

Loose rivets
8th Dec 2008, 08:08
I'm aware of Nero, but is there a reliable and simple ie free means of burning photo DVDs? DVD limit almost. I've not found anything obvious on download.com

I've read on this forum that XP doesn't provide for this, but I have to say that I'm surprised that it doesn't seem to have anything to do the job. It has 'send to' which creates the temp files, then shows the DVD as having the files on it. But it just hasn't. Try to run them and the hard-drive runs. :confused: Yep, confused again.

This just leaves one stranded with a load of temp files - somewhere. I found a delete temps on a right click, so hopefully there isn't the detritus of a failed attempt lingering.

Bushfiva
8th Dec 2008, 08:16
If you mean DVDs containing photos, ImgBurn is small, fast, free and does most things.

Loose rivets
8th Dec 2008, 17:01
Oh dear, so typical of the response I get to things these days.

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /SetupImgBurn_2.4.2.0.exe on this server.

Please inform the administrator of the referring page, Download ImgBurn (http://imgburn.en.softonic.com/download) if you think this was a mistake.

If you're trying to download ImgBurn, please click here or wait to be redirected in 10 seconds.
download.imgburn.com

Saab Dastard
8th Dec 2008, 17:53
Loose Rivets, you seem to be one of those people for whom things consistently go wrong.

Why are you going to an unapproved download site that is trying to get you to pay for something that's free?

The Official ImgBurn Website (http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download) is the site you want to visit.

SD

reynoldsno1
8th Dec 2008, 19:32
I have used FinalBurn (the basic version is free), and had perfectly good results with all media types - CD, DVD and DVD DL

Loose rivets
8th Dec 2008, 20:25
I'll have a look at that as well R1 - thanks.

Saab

Loose Rivets, you seem to be one of those people for whom things consistently go wrong.

Well, crap, as well as randomness, comes in lumps. Like getting a thrashing in a storm, I'm just waiting to see when it stops.:uhoh:

Anyway, the link you gave me just took me to the same site. There I see what is the latest version - I finally press the logo thing at the top cos, at last, I've spotted the 'download now' or whatever, in squitty text at the top.

That takes one onto another page which talks extesively about the soft that I want. But the downloads are everything but DVD burners. Registry cleaners, yep, Express burn, and other adds by Google...but not the one I want. Having problems?...press. Another blind ally. So I go back...you say it's there, so it must be. I go to the right, ver 2.4 only. Okay, it's free, so a lesser version is fair. Press.

It takes me to 2 4 2 0. That's odd, but it's free. It says it is IN BIG WRITING. Goody. oh, and underneath in tiny writing after the big button: DOWNLOAD, and the word Free. Very reassuring. Press.

It asks the same question, but given that you've assured me that I'm missing the point, I have a concerted look for the Holy Grail, but things are now getting bizarre.

ImgBurn Free Download

* The file will be downloaded from an external source

Free Download <<< oh, look, there's those words again. But what's that saying above?

Anyway Press.

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /SetupImgBurn_2.4.2.0.exe on this server.

Please inform the administrator of the referring page, Download ImgBurn (http://imgburn.en.softonic.com/download) if you think this was a mistake.

If you're trying to download ImgBurn, please click here or wait to be redirected in 10 seconds.
download.imgburn.com

Aaaaaaaaaaagh!...I'm doomed to sail the seas forever. But you said...

One more try.

Goodness me! One was about to shout a huge thankyou for your determined psychological boost. I'd already down-loaded it you see, from a little underlined bit of squitty writing under one of the graphic things. Downloaded it, copied a ton of pictures, and then verified them. Thank you....Thank you... But I can't find it again to tell you how I did it! I really can't...I'll find it if I have to stay up all night, even though I don't need it anymore.

The Flying Pram
8th Dec 2008, 20:40
I'm using Firefox 3, and SD's link presented me with 7 "mirror" sites. I clicked on No7 and got a "Save File" box straight away. Admittedly some of the others went from one page to another but the ones I tried all ended up with the same result. Some of them were "Zipped" files (to save space), but these can be opened within Windows.

Saab Dastard
8th Dec 2008, 20:47
Loose Rivets,

I rest my case! ;)

SD

Loose rivets
8th Dec 2008, 21:01
Can I just plead in mitigation your honor, that I had concluded that the 'mirror' list was just different facets of the full version. I'd not picked up on that term before, and the notion that different sites were all in that box eluded me totally.

One has two sons. One is a web designer...and the other is a professor of brains. If the first one thinks it's a valid route to the goal, I'll consult the other for quite different reasons. :(

frostbite
8th Dec 2008, 21:38
Not that I need it but I couldn't resist trying - downloaded straight away.

I'm sure if I'd really wanted it, it would have been a different story.

The Flying Pram
8th Dec 2008, 21:48
"Mirror" sites are just different locations carrying the same information. It saves one provider having to invest in huge servers. This is more common with frequently updated software like AntiVirus or Anti Spyware, where millions of downloads are required at much the same time.

Loose rivets
9th Dec 2008, 03:17
Thank you Airborne Perambulator, that was perhaps the most succinct, lucid, perspicacious and erudite post that I've seen for this half of eternity. A mirror site. One will repair to mirror sites with boundless confidence from this time on. Well, until the next thing goes wrong.;)

The Flying Pram
9th Dec 2008, 15:27
One is suitably humbled by your gracious reply. Don't worry, you are not the only one who has all the bad luck....