PDA

View Full Version : nz cpl to jaa atpl

robbybobby
8th Dec 2008, 05:11
just a quick question, any answers views or info mucho appreciated.

my understanding is if you do your NZ CPL and become an instructor in nz for a few years and go to the uk to sit ATPL exams you get a JAA ATPL and you will also have a NZ CPL. Although i do think i'll still have to do my instrument rating in ol blighty.
They may well be serious floors to my iccle plan, if so please feel free to let me know.

Thanks

alanmtc
9th Dec 2008, 14:33
i did my ppl in new zealand at north shore aero club. i am now in florida doing my jaa atpl's and cpl. i believe you can convert from nz to jaa in minimum hours as long as you have an unrestriced nz licence. hours without the issue of a license cannot count towards jaa. if you intend to work in europe under jaa, i`m not sure if would benefit you to spend 2 or 3 years instructing in new zealand. from my time in new zealand i gathered that was the way over there... ppl > cpl > instruct > atpl > more instructing > single pilot prop work > regional turbo prop job > eventually jet job.....

please excuse me if i am off track with anything i have just said, but if you have a nz cpl already and intend to work in europe, i would get to the usa or europe, do the jaa atpl's, get a jaa cpl, a jaa me/ir, and then start looking at jobs (of course the way things are in europe buying your type rating)......

alan

Whirlygig
9th Dec 2008, 18:36
In a nutshell, from an ICAO CPL to gain JAA CPL, you need to pass the ATPL or CPL exams, training as required plus pass CPL skill test. A JAA IR has to be done in JAA-land.

You will then have a JAA CPL/IR, not an ATPL which requires 1,000 hours plus other experience requirements.

Please be careful when people say ATPL; they usually mean ATPL theory credits which is not the same thing.

Download LASORS from the caa website; all the info will be in there.

Cheers

Whirls