PDA

View Full Version : Install wizard requires software which is already installed...

Maxbert
7th Dec 2008, 17:42
This is a new one to me-

I downloaded (and paid for) Creative Media Toolbox 6, software to manage audio files.

The Install Wizard thunders on about me needing Adobe Flash Player 8.0 or higher, but I'm running 10.something (and I have reinstalled it several times) :*

Nothing doing, the Wizard (Rincewind :confused: ) will not install- Creative / Soundblaster website useless, support-wise.

Has anybody had a similar Wizard experience, and has anybody got a possible solution?

Many thanks,

Maxbert

PS Windoze site reports no incompatibilities, Google strangely silent on similar issues...

Gertrude the Wombat
7th Dec 2008, 19:37
Just a guess ... but based on decades of experience of writing software.

"Creative Media Toolbox 6", whatever that is, was written in the days when "Adobe Flash Player 8.0" was current. One or other of these products was not written properly, either:

(1) "Creative Media Toolbox 6" was not correctly written to recognise any later version of "Adobe Flash Player", or:

(2) later versions of "Adobe Flash Player" are written in such a way that any piece of software which follows the rules will fail to recognise it as a later version of the same thing.

Whoever's fault it is, "Creative Media Toolbox 6" is failing to find "Adobe Flash Player 8.0", which is fair enough as you don't have it installed, but is also failing to recognise your later version, which didn't exist when "Creative Media Toolbox 6" was written, as a later version of "Adobe Flash Player 8.0".

The chances of your getting Adobe to change the world to suit "Creative Media Toolbox 6" are nil, so you're better off contacting the people you bought "Creative Media Toolbox 6" from and telling them it doesn't work and asking for your money back if they won't fix it.

green granite
7th Dec 2008, 19:58
If flash has been installed as an 'add on' to a browser then it probably wont see it, try installing flash to C:\program files\ adobe\ and see if it finds it then.

Maxbert
7th Dec 2008, 20:07
GtW-

Thank you for your reply- It sounds about right, although the software is from fairly reputable Creative Labs / Soundblaster (who make mp3 players and sound card software, so I'm assuming they're up to speed...).

I'm thinking conflict somewhere (the Install Wizard seems to open twice, two tabs in the bar at the bottom of the screen- When prompted about the Flash Player "problem", clicking "OK" takes me to the Flash download page (uninstalled/installed several times), clicking "Cancel" aborts the whole process).

I have the registration code and all, but the software never actually installs, as the Wizard gives up. I cannot find any meaningful "help" on the website.

Again, this is the first time I encounter this problem... :confused:

Maxbert

Maxbert
7th Dec 2008, 20:11
green granite-

You may be on to something there, as Flash does not appear in the "Program Files" list.

That being said, er... How do I do it? The Adobe flash page assumes that it is for a browser, even after I have re-selected Vista and FFox- It all happens automatically from the Adobe home page :confused:

Maxbert

EDIT- That is to say, I can see no option to install other than a brower add-on, nothing as to "Save as" and "Install" where I want :(

Saab Dastard
7th Dec 2008, 20:28
I have two entries for Adobe Flash Player in Add / Remove programs (10 Plugin and ActiveX).

I have nothing under Program Files \ Adobe for Flash Player (or Shockwave), only Acrobat reader.

I thought that Flash was designed purely to BE a browser plug-in!

Just a thought - if you are running something other than MS IE as your browser and have Flash player enabled there but not in IE, maybe the software is looking at IE and not finding it.

SD

green granite
7th Dec 2008, 20:38
just found this, A damaged Windows system registry or incorrect permissions in the registry may prevent Flash Player from installing or registering correctly.

Symptoms of a damaged registry or incorrect permissions may include:

Error during Flash Player installation:
'Failed to install. For Troubleshooting please see: View Document (http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_19166)'
Flash Player installer finishes with no error, but Flash content cannot be viewed in Internet Explorer.
Some sites tell you that you do not have the correct version of Flash Player, even though you just installed the latest version.
Some sites tell you to reinstall Flash Player, but after reinstalling the same message occurs. Download SubInACL from Microsoft to fix permission issues that prevent the Flash Player installation. For instruction on how to run SubInACL to fix these permission issues please refer to "Download SubInACL from Microsoft to fix permission issues that prevent the Flash Player installation" (TechNote fb1634cb (http://www.adobe.com/go/fb1634cb)).

re programs files I saw an article a while ago that a certain program needed flash installed there before it could see it hence my suggestion.

Saab Dastard
7th Dec 2008, 20:42
HERE (http://www.softwarepatch.com/internet/flash.html) is the standalone installer.

To clarify, that simply allows the browser plug-in to be installed from that executable, rather than installing it on-line.

It doesn't mean that it is a stand-alone flash player!

Now if someone has a copy of the Flash player 8 standalone installer hanging around, that might be useful! Install Flash 8, install the software, then update to Flash 10.

SD

frostbite
7th Dec 2008, 21:42
No help at all, but I had a similar problem with a 'wizard' re A8/A10 - wasn't too bothered about the program I was trying to install, so didn't bother.

Maxbert
7th Dec 2008, 21:54
Sorted! :ok:

Not sure who to thank, so I'll thank everybody, on general principles :D

However- StaceyF, I downloaded and installed as per your link. Many thanks!

SD- Also blew the dust off the folder containing IE, loaded the plugin from the Adobe site using that.

I don't know which "fix" fixed me, but my USD 45.- software now works (although it works out cheaper here in EURoland ;) )

Thanks all!

Maxbert