PDA

View Full Version : AVAST That's odd

Loose rivets
6th Dec 2008, 07:44
I installed this prog this evening, and started it off full of hope. Up pops a thing on the screen that looks like a cross between a cheap hi-fi, an Airstream Caravan and a toaster. Okay, it's the modern world, live with it.

The reasong I scrapped AVG was that I could no longer select exactly what I wanted scanned. In fact, most of the control seems lost since last Christmas - as I've mentioned before. Anyway, the Avast seems like it might be controllable, but the logic defeated me at first go. The things to exclude seems to be the wrong way round. But I'll work on that one.

Off it went, and withing 15 mins a stern voice said Virus! bla bla bla. Good thinks I, that's more than AVG did. Anyway, it found in a Garmin file...sscserve.exe I elected to remove/rename it. Why could I not be able to choose which of those two to use? Odd.

Anyway, it should have been destroyed by some means, right? It was still there, search took 3 seconds to find it. I erased it. So why wasn't it gone, or renamed to something like DANGER or NASTY or some-such? Darn computers just seem to be so illogical.

Bushfiva
6th Dec 2008, 12:07
Garmin file...sscserve.exeShirley shome mishtake? sscserve is usually the service utility for Epson printers. And it does sound like something you would install :}

Loose rivets
6th Dec 2008, 16:51
Ha! I thought I recognized the file. However, it was in a directory that was the backup dump from the old drive. So nothing actually wanted in the way of exe files.

That leaves the question as to why AVAST picked it out.

I loaded it last night after realizing that I'd downloaded an update for RealPlayer. :ugh: Just when everything was coming under control.:hmm:

I'll have another bash at telling it where to look in the quiet of the night.