PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 695/696

GeorgeMandes
6th Dec 2008, 02:59
Today, we picked up a Garmin 696 that we had ordered as soon as they were announced. Turning the 696 on, we were absolutely blown away by the quality of the display. Much better than a Garmin 530 -- and somewhere between the G600 and G1000. We rigged it up in the helicopter, on a Panavise mount we use for a 496, and enjoyed flying home with it. A 496 looks very small and hard to read by comparison.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/DSC00889Small.jpg

Runway101
6th Dec 2008, 07:38
Do you have the part number of that Panavise mount, or a close-up picture of it?

Here's a Demo on Youtube from AVweb.

Meet Garmin's 696 portable GPS, new, November, 2008. AVweb and Aviation Consumer's Paul Bertorelli walks you through the basic functionality of Garmin's latest GPSMAP showcased by Garmin at AOPA's Expo 2008 in San Jose, California.

YouTube - Garmin 696 Portable GPS Demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mVU1iZqUfA)

GeorgeMandes
6th Dec 2008, 15:53
I looked at the Panavise mount and didn't see a part number. Here is a photo of the Panavise mount in another ship with a cradle for a 496. One end of the Panavise mount attaches to the back of the G600 and attaches to the Panavise arm.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/DSC00701Small.jpg

EN48
6th Dec 2008, 16:28
Here is a G696 install in an Enstrom 480B. The mount attaches with thumb screws to an existing seat rail, with no new holes needed. The mount is assembled from standard RAM mount parts and can be removed within 30 sec. Had some initial problems with system crashes on the 696; downloading the latest system software (v2.40) seems to have corrected this.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn264/sharkattack2347/CIMG0310edit.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn264/sharkattack2347/CIMG0298sml.jpg

mikelimapapa
7th Dec 2008, 13:56
Damn, that's the most kitted out enstrom I've ever seen! Is that a personal machine?

Mike

fernytickles
7th Dec 2008, 14:12
EN48, and others,

Just an fyi - we got our 696 last Monday, and its still in crash mode, even with the new 2.4 software. Seems to be caused by uploading the updated flitecharts. Initially it took so long, I had to unplug everything as my pax turned up and we had to leave. It now won't accept the charts and I am having my busiest ever week, so am not at home with a good computer when Garmin help is in the office. Hopefully later this week, meantime the 696 sits in its box :sad:

So, for those new purchasers, be cautious when uploading the flitecharts. Allow at least 2.5 hrs if using a laptop and wireless. I had to pull the plug at 1hr15 and 60% completed. Or take the manual route and put them on the computer first, then transfer them onto the 696.

EN48
7th Dec 2008, 15:19
Is that a personal machine?

It is. When the helo was spec'd in late 2006, the Chelton EFIS/FMS did not support NEXRAD weather, and this led to the addition of the Garmin GMX200 for wx and other functions. The Chelton has a single GPS receiver and the 696 was added to provide backup nav capability. It all works very nicely except for th 696 crashes.

EN48
7th Dec 2008, 15:22
Seems to be caused by uploading the updated flitecharts.

Havent tried this yet. I did successfully update the Jepp NavData and so far no crashes running v2.4.

GeorgeMandes
9th Dec 2008, 02:13
Flying in Alaska, we have downloaded the topo info onto our Garmin 396/496 units. The 696 also takes downloaded topo information. While this low res photo doesn't do it justice, the terrain detail is stunning on the 696.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/DSC01062eSmall.jpg

chucksweet
16th Dec 2008, 07:33
I love your 696 installation. Pretty ingenious to use the inner tracks. I move my seat to those tracks once in a while so that won't work for me.

I have scoped out all of the possible mounting places...from the floor, on the center column by the compass, replacing the flipcards, etc. I have finally decided to mount it on my left side using the windshield bolts. It is just in front of the pilot's door post, and to the left of my left thigh so it is out of the way of the cyclic and my legs. I have a friend who has a 496 mounted there and it works great. He makes all entries with his left hand which in turn keeps his right hand free for the cyclic.

I hope you like my cardboard box 696. <gr>

Chuck

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x242/Chucksweet/IMG_0820.jpg

EN48
16th Dec 2008, 12:20
"The 696 also takes downloaded topo information"

Can you provide some guidance on how to do this. I took a quick look at the manusl and couldnt seem to find this.

Thanks.

chopjock
16th Dec 2008, 21:43
Does anyone know if the 696 will take flightplans and waypoints etc uploaded from a PC.? If so, which software is it?

GeorgeMandes
17th Dec 2008, 01:05
You need the Map Source topo program as a source for the data. You buy an SD card, choose the topo information in your area of interest, no more than 1,224 (about) maps, and transfer the data to the SD card inserted in the 696 with the provided cable. Now you have topo data displayed on your 696. You can customize the level of detail in "map set-up" on the 696.

There is a bug, whereby routes created on the Map Source program that come over as "map" waypoints don't act properly on the flight plan page of the 696, but work fine if you create user waypoints instead of "map" waypoints. We have been discussing this with Garmin.

Runway101
17th Dec 2008, 07:16
My 496 comes with standard topo information as well. Just out of curiosity, are you talking about better or more detailed topo info than the 496, or does the 696 come with NO topo at all if you don't do that transfer to the SD card? Slightly confused about this after you mentioned it.

I am currently flying in the alps with my 496, and topo comes in handy.

EN48
17th Dec 2008, 13:49
and transfer the data to the SD card inserted in the 696 with the provided cable

Can the topo data be transferred to the SD card in a PC (and then move the SD card to the 696)?

GeorgeMandes
17th Dec 2008, 14:54
1) The Garmin 696 comes with quite a bit more map detail than, for example, a Garmin 530. The Map Source program gives you even more detail -- equivalent to a topo map.

2) On the 396/496 series, as well as the 696, I have always programmed the chip in the gps unit. I haven't tried doing it otherwise.

EN48
28th Dec 2008, 14:12
The Map Source program gives you even more detail -- equivalent to a topo map.

George,

Can you identify more specifically the Map Source topo map(s) you use with the 696. The one that looks most relevant on the Garmin website is this one:

TOPO U.S. 2008

Part Number: 010-11001-01
Suggested Retail Price: $ 116.65 USD

however, the 696 is not shown as a compatible GPS on the Products tab (however, the 496 is listed, which makes me believe that it will work with the 696). I need Northeast US coverage.

Thanks for any guidance you might provide.

B Sousa
30th Dec 2008, 00:31
George
Just to drift a bit. That course that shows up on your initial post is over some seriously cold water off the spit. Good Luck. Time for a Brandy and a beer at the Salty Dog.........

JTobias
30th Dec 2008, 15:20
Just bought a 695 unit.
Initial impressions are bloody excellent.
Not sure where it's going to go in my machine, but I'll upload some photos when it's done.

JJ - Not a bloody word from you please !!!! ;)

chopjock
31st Dec 2008, 17:04
Does anyone know what happens if you don't update the flight charts? Will the Garmin 695 allow you to continue with the "out of date" charts? :confused:

GeorgeMandes
1st Jan 2009, 00:57
My understanding is, just as happens with the approach plates on the Garmin G1000 EFIS installations, after six months approach plates "expire" and are unavailable.

chopjock
1st Jan 2009, 18:02
ok, so you are saying the approach plates don't work when they are "out of date", does that apply to the charts aswell? Will the charts stop working when they go out of date?

GeorgeMandes
2nd Jan 2009, 01:54
To my knowledge, approach plates are the only thing on the 696 that will time out and become unavailable. Specifically, what other "charts" are you referring to?

SeaMoss
2nd Jan 2009, 08:04
Garmin 695 in an R44 - uses the mount shipped with the unit.
http://www.nhew.com.au/images/Garmin695_lo.jpg

chopjock
2nd Jan 2009, 11:36
Quote: Specifically, what other "charts" are you referring to?

I was refering to the chart displayed on the main map screen, the one that looks just like the paper charts (maps). The paper charts expire but you can still use them and buy new ones when you feel like it.
I was afraid that if I bought a Garmin 695 the maps would expire if I failed to subscribe or up-date them? :confused:

Runway101
2nd Jan 2009, 12:23
SeaMoss, what do you think about getting your hand from the collective (around the cyclic post) to the 695? Is this working without problem for you? The most important buttons and the "joystick" is on the right side of the display. I thought about exact this position for my unit, but didn't buy one yet and was afraid that this position might be a bit trouble to reach.

How did you attach the included mount to the console? Screws, adhesive tape or suction? Is this a temporary or permanent installation? In other words, is this also possible with rented helicopters?

500e
2nd Jan 2009, 13:17
So the plates go walkabout after 1. 2. 3. days, or weeks? I get in machines with GPS card out of date but paper maps up to date.
So I fly with paper & GPS go to approach plate GONE, great! Where is the # is Pooleys flight guide, moved the runways have they? magnetic heading changed by 90 deg? I paid for the information where is it? :( I know it is out of date but could be better than no plate.
Do they say don't use as primary nav source if so why the auto delete.
How does it inform you it is taking unilateral action ?
If I don't understand the info Approach is giving I can ask.
I would say 60% + of data on private GPS I have seen are at least two updates behind
It should be possible to put an overlay saying OUT OF DATE.
Is it only Garmin that do this? our SkyMaps don't They do tell you date of expiry of database on the 1st. screen.

SeaMoss
2nd Jan 2009, 20:08
Runway101
I didn't have a problem reaching all the controls (perhaps I have a long left arm - aka a fiddler crab). I lean forward and reach over the collective bar. I've seen others mount 530's etc. here on a cross bar.
Wrt mount - it's permanent - bolted through the console with added internal bracing. The bottom left tip attached to the side of the console with some velcro to damp the vibrations at low RPM (during startup).
For rentals, I'd use the knee mount.

EN48
4th Jan 2009, 12:16
Can the topo data be transferred to the SD card in a PC (and then move the SD card to the 696)?

Yes - just received the US Topo DVD from Garmin and this works fine. See detailed instructions in the Map Source manual (on the Map Source CD).

MarcK
4th Jan 2009, 18:17
So the plates go walkabout after 1. 2. 3. days, or weeks?
According to the owners manual, the approach plates become unavailable 180 days after the expiration date of the plate (28 days after the cycle begins). So you would only have to update 2 or 3 times a year if you weren't using them as primary.

500e
4th Jan 2009, 21:31
Thanks MarcK:ok:

malabo
6th Jan 2009, 22:15
The built-in map detail level in the 695/696 is the same as the what comes in the Mapsource Worldmap CD. This is a lot more map detail than came with the older 296 which already had more than the panel-mount 530. You have to go to even better maps like the US or Canada Topo to gain any further detail by burning the map blocks to the SD card.

The IFR plates are for the US only. Anyone outside the US gets no benefit at all. They are called "FliteCharts" and appear to be some kind of .pdf copy of the National Aeronautical Charting Office (NACO) paper charts. They come from Garmin. Too bad the Jepps can't get in there for the rest of us.

fernytickles
23rd Jan 2009, 15:10
I would be interested to hear how everyone is getting on with updating the FliteCharts? We are having huge issues with it. Every other section updates just fine, but the FliteCharts won't update without a Garmin tech taking over my computer and forcing the update, which is somewhat time consuming & inconvenient.

Garmin say they are working on this issue, and one person says "its only a couple of units which have this problem", while another says "its an issue with most of them, so an exchange won't make a difference".....

Hence putting the internet to use to find out how big an issue this is.

Thanks.

Helinut
23rd Jan 2009, 19:37
Do you get plates on the Euroepean Versions? When I read the blurb it seemed like only the US database had plates with it.

airotay
24th Jan 2009, 07:08
The first upload was no problem off of flygarmin.com. The second upload I had to manually upload which is an option on the right side of the screen if all else fails. I have the US TOPO's and they work great. I also bought the plug and play street maps on the SD card. The unit will not let me unlock the maps. I called Garmin the tech said I should have no problem since the SD maps were not lock. I received the second card and had the same problem. Anyone else out there with the street maps?

You can load the TOPO's through the unit itself or through your laptop via SD card. FliteCharts are taking me around 30 minutes to upload.

500e
24th Jan 2009, 21:27
Seems a nice bit of kit BUT why is the CUSTOMER doing field trials, these bugs should be sorted before the unit is marketed ? it is not as if it is a budget unit.

airotay
25th Jan 2009, 08:07
I completely agree. To be honest I have had problems with every Garmin I have ever bought. They have good support and handle the problems. It just seems there are lots of software issues. If you don't accessorize, and use the unit as is you'll have no problems.

Heli-phile
26th Jan 2009, 06:00
Hi,
Im sure its only a momentary lapse but looking at your fine array of dispays it occurs to me you may well be spending a lot of time looking in the cockpit rather than out (its a vfr helicopter) Especially when you track along features like a coast. Remember the keep right rule??, It might be me coming the other way one day and I would be keeping right of the beach (right where you are!!)

Nice kit anyway;)

Harry76
28th Jan 2009, 10:26
Does anyone have any actual experience using the G696 with the knee mount kit? I have been told that it would be too heavy sitting on ones knee.

JTobias
28th Jan 2009, 11:16
I have been using it temporarily on my knee (not using a kit) until I have the mount fitted (tomorrow). I don't consider it to be too heavy, but I would be concerned about the battery becoming hot against your leg for long trips.

My reccomend would be to have it mounted, even if it were using suction mounts so that you can move it between ships if necessary.

It's a fantastic piece of kit!

Joel

CGWRA
29th Jan 2009, 03:51
does it have to be positioned vertically or can you turn it so that its sideways and keep the map orientation correct?

JTobias
29th Jan 2009, 10:44
No it only works in portrait (vertical) mode.

At first I though this might be a limitation but the screen is large enough to cope with various scales of mapping and it doesn't impede the situational over view at all.

Joel

airotay
1st Feb 2009, 05:57
Good mount for all Garmins. They have a new one for the 696/695.

G-Force Mount (http://www.gforcemount.com/)

JTobias
4th Feb 2009, 13:17
I'm having my 695 fitted and as promised here are a few pictures of it (mid-installation). Once it's finished I'll put the final pictures on line.

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii457/joel_tobias/Garmin695/Highmountposition1.jpg

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii457/joel_tobias/Garmin695/Highmountposition2.jpg

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii457/joel_tobias/Garmin695/Lowmountposition1.jpg

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii457/joel_tobias/Garmin695/Lowmountposition2.jpg

JTobias
5th Feb 2009, 09:57
Here's the final photos

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii457/joel_tobias/Garmin695/DSCF0211.jpg

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii457/joel_tobias/Garmin695/DSCF0213.jpg

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii457/joel_tobias/Garmin695/DSCF0214.jpg

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii457/joel_tobias/Garmin695/DSCF0214a.jpg

zigsta
16th Feb 2009, 17:50
Does anyone who has upgraded to a 696 have a 496 for sale? I'm considering buying one this week so please get in touch.

JTobias
16th Feb 2009, 18:06
errrrr sorry, but I did, but I've just shipped it to the new owner.
sold it on e-bay!!

Joel

zigsta
16th Feb 2009, 18:57
Guess i'm a few days too late then JT. Out of interest how much did it go for? Would you say the 496 is easy to use if it's used as a mobile unit and not attached to a yoke mount etc? Is the extra expense justified over the 296?

fling-wing_1
16th Feb 2009, 19:51
Saw your question on the 496. I just bought a 696 and so will be selling my 496. If my friend decides not to buy it, it will again be on the market. I'm asking $1800 plus shipping. The 496 is a BIG upgrade from the 296, weather, XM radio, airport diagrams, roadmap and way faster refresh and processor (it will show heading changes as you walk with it.) Handy size too!

zigsta
16th Feb 2009, 20:25
Hi Fling,
With the pound taking a severe beating against the $ i'm better off buying a 496 unit from the UK. Thanks for you swift response in any event.

61 Lafite
16th Feb 2009, 20:33
Has anyone successfully mounted a 696 into an R44 in the UK?

my understanding is that the CAA rules preclude any kind of permanent fixing (no holes can be drilled) and power must be from the existing supply at the rear two seats. Maintenance organisation has said all evidence of its installation must be completely removed before they will sign off any service on the R44 (helpful).

I'm interested in supplementing an existing 420 unit in the main console with something I can remove to program outside the machine (can take an age to load a plan into a 420).

Love to have something with moving CAA 250 or 500mil maps, but with Flymap L now a non-starter, that seems unlikely.

Lafite.

JTobias
17th Feb 2009, 08:53
Zigsta,

The 496 is a big improvement over the 296 - I used to have one of those too. The screen refreshes much faster, VRP's are shown clearly too. It's a great unit.
It's perfectly capable of being used without being mounted, but I would still suggest that you did.

You could purchase the suction mounts that will allow it to be removed easily if you didn't want a permanent fix.

It sold for £450 - but I think I let it go too cheaply!!

61 Lafite - I'm not a maintenance engineer and I definateley don't know the rules, but there must be a way to mount the 696 in the R44. I think your maintenance organisation are interpreting the rules too strictly.Try talking to an Avionics company, they may be able to sign it off. The 696 is a portable device and there should be absoluteley no reason that you can't have it installed.

Failing that, I have recently seen, a suction mount specifically designed for the Garmin 695 and the Avidyne. That would probably do the trick.

zigsta
17th Feb 2009, 13:46
Hi JT,
Could you suggest a suitable suction mount for the 496? I've been looking online and couldn't find anything suitable. Thanks (and yes you sold the 496 real cheap :-p )

JTobias
17th Feb 2009, 17:07
Zigsta

I know - too cheap.
But never mind.
Have you had a look at the RAM mounts - RAM Mounting Systems UK (http://www.ram-mounts-uk.com)

If you can't see the one you want, let me know and I'll take a look through their catalogue and let you know which one I bought.

Joel

zigsta
17th Feb 2009, 18:29
Thanks JT will do :ok:

MD900 Explorer
17th Feb 2009, 18:36
Zigista

It was suggested by airotay near the top of page 3 that G Force Mount (http://www.gforcemount.com/) was of benefit, just incase you missed it.

MD :ok:

JTobias
17th Feb 2009, 18:55
MD Explorer

Thanks for finding the link for the G- Force Mount. I've been looking for it all evening!!!!!!!!!!:ok:

zigsta
18th Feb 2009, 11:26
JT is the G force mount more robust than the ram mounting you suggested? Will the G mount connect with the 496 cradle supplied by Garmin?

JTobias
18th Feb 2009, 13:44
Zigsta,

It definateley looks as though it will be, but I haven't seen one in the flesh, however with three suction cups it must be. Also, I do not know what fitting is supplied with the G-Force mount although I suspect that what ever it comes with you will be able to purchase an apropriate coupling for the 496.

The single suction cup RAM mount for the 496 is reasonably robust, but I did find that on ocassion it would fall free, which is not ideal. If I recall correctly, RAM also do a double suction cup version and it may be more apropriate to purchase this one.

What machine are you planning on installing it into?

zigsta
20th Feb 2009, 20:14
JT,
I do mostly self fly hire (on 22's 44's) so hence i purchased the 496. Used it today and was very impressed with it's performance and functionality, the 696 comparitively must be incredible.

I'll look to get the 2 or 3 suction G mount although i couldnt find this model from the website.

JTobias
21st Feb 2009, 18:59
Zigsta

If you need any help with the mounts let me know and I'll try and dig out the model numbers etc.

chucksweet
22nd Feb 2009, 12:15
Here is a picture of the 696 is my Enstrom 480.
Chuck

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x242/Chucksweet/Garmin696.jpg

JTobias
22nd Feb 2009, 18:04
Ah ha, my other favourite machine (the 480 was my first venture into ownership!)
Nice panel!!!! :ok:

Joel

zigsta
23rd Feb 2009, 08:05
Hi JT,
Could you send me the model number of the 496 mount you used please. Thanks.

JTobias
23rd Feb 2009, 08:47
Hi Zigsta,

Check your PM's, let me know how you get on :ok:

nellycopter
26th Feb 2009, 18:46
hi,

i recently bought the garmin 695, i have worked everything out but cant get airspace warnings / alerts to show up - nor does it display the nearest airspace as described in the manual -
the unit is within class D airspace sfc to 8500ft but doesnt say anything at all.

any ideas

regards

JTobias
26th Feb 2009, 22:25
Is smart airspace turned on or off?

nellycopter
27th Feb 2009, 18:23
ON - all aairspace is also on !
the book says if you are inside airspace it should warn you -
it doesnt and it didnt give any sort of warning when i flew into class D sfc to 8000ft.

any help would be appreciated.

JTobias
27th Feb 2009, 20:56
I think you may have done this, but just in case
Check what settings you have in the "Alarms" section of the system setup

Press "Menu" twice
Highlight "System Setup" and pres enter
Select "Alarms"

You should now see a list of all the categories of airspace and whether they are set to alert you or not.

If that doesn't work, let me know and when I'm in my machine this weekend I'll take a look. I'm better at working this stuff out when the unit is in front of me.

Joel

nellycopter
27th Feb 2009, 21:08
cheers Joel for your help,

i have all the alerts set to on. but still cant get anything.
tell me - when you press the nearest button and then go to the end - nearest airspace - does anything come up on yours -
as i get nothing in this screen either !

cheers

JTobias
28th Feb 2009, 08:43
:confused::confused::confused::confused:
I know that Airspace appears in the nearest section of mine.
My guess is that there is some simple setting on yours that is overiding the alerts.

I'll pop down to my machine today and take a look and see if I come up with anything.

Joel

JTobias
28th Feb 2009, 19:11
OK, I don't know whether this helps or not, but I took my machine out for a spin this afternoon and checked my settings.

All my Airspace alarms were OFF.
So I switched them all on and as I was operating near Manchester's airspace I received alerts immediateley.

So I'm a bit stuck now.
Is your Airspace up to date (although it shouln't really matter)

Lgnelson
8th Mar 2009, 09:45
HI Guys just a seemingly Impossible question that NO ONE can answer. I have the Garmin 695 and am operating in Europe, I would love to one day use the European IFR charts on this unit, however there seems to be no direct way to get an answer on when or who will be providing the service. Although it is a nice unit I would really like to be able to pull up IFR charts one day.

EN48
8th Mar 2009, 12:01
I would really like to be able to pull up IFR charts one day

This probably wont happen until Garmin decides to support it. In the U.S. the govt. published charts are in the public domain and Garmin can incorporate these without significant cost. Not sure if this is the case in other regions/countries.

Lgnelson
9th Mar 2009, 16:54
Thanks for that, it was the answer I was afraid of, it is true IFR charts in the USA are public however here in Europe you don't know which hand to grease. If it is not available by the time EBACE is, then I will ask both Jeppesen and Garmin directly, also the Aero is on next month and I wil also try for a direct answer.:ugh:

rotorspin
22nd Mar 2009, 14:22
JT - just bought a 695 for my Jetbanger - you mention RAM suction mounts, but what did you use for the permanent fixing in the photo? Is that hardware in the box?

Cheers mate - speak soon

JTobias
23rd Mar 2009, 21:06
I should be on bloody commission.
I'll phone you to discuss

Joel

007helicopter
26th Mar 2009, 04:02
Not flown with my 696 yet but having read the manual and set it up so far it seems impossible to get rid of airways which is way to many lines on the screen and just leave the relevant airspace I would have had on my 295.

I have airways turned off in the settings and smart space to on

Any ideas ?

JTobias
26th Mar 2009, 20:14
Are you in demo mode by any chance?
If so put it into normal mode and let it acquire some satellites.
After that the smart airspace should kick in and the clutter should go

Joel

GeorgeMandes
26th Mar 2009, 22:57
Air Gizmos mount just released for 696:

AirGizmos.com Panel Dock™ (http://www.airgizmos.com/prod/pd13/index.asp)

JTobias
27th Mar 2009, 16:58
Very, nice indeed! :ok:

Joel

007helicopter
4th Apr 2009, 08:28
Bit of help please, got my 695 and setting up and find there is to much cluttered airspace showing thst is not needed so from MAP SETUP I have SMART AIRSPACE ON and SHOW AIRSPACE Below 10000ft, I want to turn it down below 10000ft but it will not allow me, is this correct ?

Or is there any other way to reduce the airspace above say 4000ft from showing?

Otherwise looks fantastic but not flown with it yet.

md 600 driver
4th Apr 2009, 10:05

where did you get your 696 from in the uk i was told when i bought my 695 they said you couldonly buy it in the states

do you know what extra things you get with the 696 over the 695

steve

007helicopter
4th Apr 2009, 10:29
Sorry typo, changed from 696 to 695

rotorspin
4th Apr 2009, 16:25
got the same issue with a 695, 007

if you try and go lower than 10k, it shows 9990ft temp then sets back to 10k....

not sure if this is a bug or standard?

I know that when you fly it declutters airspace according to level you are at, but nothing in manual re this 10k limit.

I am very unlikely to ever fly over 5k so not really interested in the space above!

nellycopter
7th Apr 2009, 19:37
with reference to your airspace below 10,000ft.
if you download and install the latest software - you will find it has been fixed and you can now select down to 0ft if you like !!!!:)

007helicopter
7th Apr 2009, 19:39
nelly - thanks, will do it

nellycopter
7th Apr 2009, 19:46
do you have the voice warnings etc wired into your com ?
had it wired today, nice clear voice for obsticals etc........

007helicopter
9th Apr 2009, 17:45
with reference to your airspace below 10,000ft.
if you download and install the latest software - you will find it has been fixed and you can now select down to 0ft if you like !!!!http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

Nelly, worked a treat and now the perfect unit, thanks again.

GeorgeMandes
27th Apr 2009, 03:41
We have put about 60 hours on the Garmin 696 in the last ten days and encountered some problems. Our XM weather went inop on the way up to Alaska, and on a trip down, our screen started intermittently dimming. It turns out, when the unit gets hot, the screen intensity dims to protect the unit. We didn't notice this heading north, but headed south, with more sun on the 696 and generally warmer temperatures, it became a regular issue. Hope Garmin has a fix soon. They say that the new style XM antenna, GMX 40, draws less power and produces less heat than the GMX 30 antenna.

There is also a bug in the 496 related to airport names and with the unit turning off due to an XM antenna issue that is supposed to be resolved with the new version software 3.9 (available as a free download on the Garmin web site).

500e
27th Apr 2009, 10:20
All still working as development engineers then I see.:E

rotorspin
27th Apr 2009, 12:34
:ok::ok::ok::ok:

great tip, nice one nelly! 695 is now everything I need!

gdc ec120
30th May 2009, 08:10
hello , i am haveing problems getting the coordinates to be displayed (I assume SUI) and am unable to enter them when creating a way point. any help as to what i am doing wrong or need to do would be appriciated.

md 600 driver
6th Jun 2009, 14:12

i have the atlantic database in the uk does any know of any other mapping i can put on the 695 as i dont get any roads ,towns /ect just airfields /airspace ect.

steve

Runway101
7th Jun 2009, 07:04
md600 driver, on my 496 I had to purchase the DVD version of City Navigator Europe NT, install it on my PC and transfer maps via Garmin Memory Card to get road and city data. Took quite a bit of money and time to get this all working.

There is also a SD card version of the City Navigator Europe NT, so I suppose you could get that and just plug it in the 695/696 directly. I'd ask Garmin customer support for confirmation before entering your credit card though.

ILblog
10th Oct 2009, 19:31
Hi Guys

I understand, why you are so happy to have Garmin 696. But honestly this device can not beat older 496. Especially for helicopter pilot.

Do you want to fly from airport to airport, or you want to visit your friend in small village in countryside?

In older 496 you could search by name of cities and villages. On 696, you can upload TOPO, or city map, but yar ARE NOT ABLE to search by name of a city.

BAD LUCK.:cool:

GeorgeMandes
11th Oct 2009, 00:47
If you have flown in the mountains in bad weather, and had a chance to see the terrain detail and size on the 696 display, you will never want to fly behind a 496 again.

chucksweet
11th Oct 2009, 01:05
Regarding> If you have flown in the mountains in bad weather, and had a chance to see the terrain detail and size on the 696 display, you will never want to fly behind a 496 again.

I totally agree. The display on the 696 is simply amazing. Also, to find small towns etc. I typically look up their coordinates with Google Earth and type the value into my Garmin. That takes me right there. <gr>

Finally, I also bought a very simple, hand held automotive Garmin GPS for about $100 and it does the cities and roads very well. It complements the 696 nicely.

Chuck

chris_h
12th Oct 2009, 09:19
Regarding Garmin 696 and overheating problems.
Has anyone else had a problem with this?
Anyone regularly using a 696 in a hot climate - e.g. the Middle East?

Runway101
12th Oct 2009, 10:02
If you go further up the thread you'll find that others reported overheating issues with the 696 (and 496 too). I also saw people reporting overheating issues when leaving it in the sun on other forums. Seems the display brightness goes south when it overheats. Once the heat is gone, everything seems to go back to normal. I haven't had this issue with my 496 unit, but I usually take it out of the sun when I shut down at the airport for a while.

Flight Medic
8th Nov 2009, 11:00
Hi all,

Our Chief Pilot recieved the 695 a few days ago and was extremely pleased with the device, but wanted more out of it and asked me if i could figure it out!

Well, all he wanted was to veiw topographical maps on the unit while flying mountain resue opps. So I went and sifted through the manual (a first for me as I always bump my head several times and then refer to the manual). I eventually found what i was looking for. You can add map sets to the device (the safest way is to do it using an SD card).

So I loaded several square kilometers of Topo and recriational maps from Garmaps Africa 2009 Series onto a SD card, put the card into the machine and powered up! The topographical lines, streets (with names and house numbers) popped up as a transparent overlay above the flight charts already loaded onto the device. The only thing I haven't figured out is whether one can search for a specific street address or not, but will contact Garmin this week.

The topo maps are visible on the VFR map and the terrain map. but the screen gets extremely cluttered so turn down a few of the map settigns and it looks great. you can also get rid of the topo maps by simply pressing the CLR button.

Happy Flying

star57
31st Jan 2010, 14:31
Greeetings;

I have the 696 and just finished installingMapsource and TOPO USA & Canada, I have been able to create flights and download them to the 696 by connecting the unit to the pc withe USB cable, what I have not been able to do is to move the flight created in Mapsource and downloaded to the SD card, when I inser the SD card the Garmin 696 does not see it or read it....AM I MISSING SOMETHING?...:ugh:it would be so much easier to move the data via SD card than via direct connection.
I really apreciate if anyone can comment and share with us the procees.

Happy landings to all...:D

malabo
2nd Feb 2010, 22:07
Any of the exhibitors at the HAI going to be selling the Garmin 500 series at "special" prices?

ILblog
23rd Mar 2010, 20:26
Hi

I am using Garmin 695 GPS in my chopper and I am missing very important feature there. Very often I need to find saome small village or city on a map. I was used that this feature worked well on my previous 496, but I cant find anything like this on 695.

Someone told me, that if I upload some special Garmin map there, I will be able to search for villages in 695. Is that true?

Aucky
25th Mar 2010, 11:10
I'm having the same problem as ILblog. Got a great unit, screen and functionality second to none, but in my opinion either a huge oversight not to include cities/towns in the database or a very poor strategic decision. I've read that the City Navigator Europe NT maps will load onto the unit but even that they don't make easy or clear. Has anyone had any luck? if so how? browsing https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/ doesn't seem to offer a solution. Poor show garmin :hmm:

bjjazzyj
16th Sep 2010, 18:20
how did you get your wiring on the 496 to stay along the spar line. i have the same mount and trying to dress up that wire on the spar im trying to look for clips to make it work not sure what to get right off hand

Helikopter
17th Sep 2010, 10:10
We are operating Garmin 695, Garmin had made for the hand held gps a special map for this region on a SD card. We simply bought that and we have all the details we can ask for,citys, villages, farms, roads, rivers, glaciers and so on.

- Has to be admitted that we are very impressed.

Regards

Helikopter.

JTobias
17th Sep 2010, 21:59
Hi

So where exactly did you buy the mapping?

Joel

FLY 7
17th Sep 2010, 22:48
Yes, I'd be interested in more detailed UK mapping.

Helikopter
18th Sep 2010, 10:48
I contacted our local Garmin dealer, he knew wich maps where compatible with the Garmin 695, as simple as that.
The problem for you guys, is that usually are the maps only for streets and citys, the map we have, is for the whole country including all the details. There might also be some other maps ( not garmin) wich might be compatible with the 695.
I know for sure that our fellows over in Norway have the same considerations, they like the Garmin 695, but are consirned over the poor map details.

Im operating in Iceland.

JTobias
18th Sep 2010, 11:15
Thanks

I'll enquire with Garmin UK.
Personally, I have absolutely no complaints with the 695. For VFR (and some IFR) flying it's brilliant. Some additional mapping might be useful though.

Thanks,

Joel :ok:

meloni
1st Mar 2011, 19:46
Hello,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new gps , but I want to make sure that's the right choice for my kind of operations ( you know.... those things cost a lot of money and Is not nice to "waste" several hundreds of euros, USD, whatever... )

Mostly I fly in ems op's, but like I said in a previous thread from the next month I'll be flying in the balcan region for a medevac contract.

I have seen already the list of the HLS ( helicopter landing sites ) and other VFR reporting points and they are really A LOT!!! ( about 300 hls and other 200-250 various waypoint...) so a handheld gps will be very usefull .

I like also the fpl capabilities of the 695, and it's big screen looks great!

Here's the problem:
How good is the "mapping" of the 695? are even the smaller town visible in the e-chart?
I'm very familiar with the Avmap EKP IV, and it is very nice in ems op's, with very good charts and even the smaller town are displayed, but in my opinion the garmins are more "rugged" and durable. so this is the main reason why if I have to buy a my own gps i lean more on the Garmin.

Any opinion on the 695??

Happy Landings

meloni
1st Mar 2011, 22:15
Thanks to the administrator to move my post in here :)

cyclic phenomenon
1st Mar 2011, 22:32
I've been using the 695/696 for about 18 months now and really like it. The only problem I found was that the road and town info was sparse and not very accurate in places. But uploading a SD card with Garmin City Navigator NT 2009 transformed that and now I have more detail than on the good old Skymap. I particularly like how easy it is to link via usb and upload flight plans and waypoints that have been built in the Memory Map CAA 250k software i have on the PC.

Aucky
2nd Mar 2011, 07:52
Hi Guys, I have been playing with the 695 (with terrain data), noticed there are various parameters we can choose in the data fields (1,2 or 3 rows) in the standard view. I couldn't find Height AGL though, which would be expecially useful in the alps (no rad alt) where airspace often starts 1000AGL-FL***. I'm guessing that on the terrain page it may display height AGL? any way to display it on the main mapping page?

meloni
2nd Mar 2011, 09:42
And the Garmin City Navigator NT 2009 is not that expensive too: downloadable for 99 usdollars from the garmin website and it covers all the europe quite well...

That's a very nice thing :ok:
How difficoult it is to upload topo maps on the 695??

Thanks

UPDATE:
I just read the user manual of the 695, it seems to be not big deal....

SE-WAL
3rd Mar 2011, 06:22
Hi,
Thanks to GeorgeMandes I've managed to get a nice installation.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5098/5493924010_482c469424_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53153826@N07/5493924010/

Walt

meloni
3rd Mar 2011, 18:18
is possible to load IFR approach charts on the ATLANTIC 695?? this will be a very good backup :) I know it is possible in the US version... but what about the "european" one???

meloni
4th Mar 2011, 13:03
so.... no possibility for us european to load IFR approaches chart on this beauty?? :( :(

ijustmight
4th Mar 2011, 15:34
Yes, you can have approach plates on the european garmin 695. Are you ready to spend...??

Just pay £320 to Garmin to 'enable' your 695:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=87193

Then pay Jeppesen for the charts ($499/year for UK, varies per country):
Europe - JeppDirect (http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/main/store/product_listing_template.jsp?catId=cat360033_ca)

JTobias
4th Mar 2011, 17:31
Cyclic phenomenen

Any screen shots/more info on what you did, how you did it etc???

meloni
4th Mar 2011, 18:05
+1 on that!!

Aucky
4th Mar 2011, 21:54
Anyone any ideas on AGL height? In terrain page it obviously knows our aircraft height and terrain height, but why cant it provide height AGL in the data rows on the map page? Thinking it would be useful for 500' rule, and flying in france/switzerland

cyclic phenomenon
4th Mar 2011, 22:34
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h421/cyclicphenomenon/EGCCWith.jpg

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h421/cyclicphenomenon/PeterboroughWith.jpg

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h421/cyclicphenomenon/PBoroWithout.jpg

Screenshot images show Peterborough at 0.8 with and without the card in, plus EGCC at same range with card in. Notice how with the card, the breadcrumb trail in the SW corner from when I left the unit on in the car matches the path of the A1 and A605 exactly, whereas the track on the version with the basic data is a long way out and the 605 is just not in the right place at all. The 20-year-old bypass isn't on it! The rivers and railways are much smoother and better resolved. Standing at on the apron at Conington the unit as originally purchased would show me as being to the East of the railway, whereas all of the airfield is to the West - the error being in the position of the railway; GPS coords are spot on. The basic mapping just isn't very good (awaits flames).

Dick

aclark79
5th Mar 2011, 07:45
Is the level of detail too high? Do you end up flying with the -1 or -2 declutter level on all the time?

cyclic phenomenon
5th Mar 2011, 11:10
I don't mind the detail, which is useful when I'm trying to find a site with which I'm unfamiliar. I guess it is of course down to preference, and you can declutter and trim the detail settings at various magnifications. I just like ground features actually being the right shape and in the right place. For the plank-ists and people happy with half-mill maps this probably not such a interest; the aviation features are spot-on. Praps it's that I don't have thousands of hours and find the extra info kind of reassuring.

JTobias
5th Mar 2011, 17:55
CP,

Where you based/operate from ?
Thanks for the PM by the way.

aclark79
5th Mar 2011, 19:34
The pictures are great, thanks for them. I'm trying to get our units upgraded with the map software, so that the highways we land on are actually on the screen where they actually are!

Crieff-ite
19th Apr 2011, 11:10
Good afternoon gents.

We've just purchased City Navigator NT on a preprogrammed SD card for our 695. I was just going to pop the card into the 695 and start her up but a little warning that came with the card, says that "Using preprogrammed memory cards to transfer Mapsource map data overwrites the preprogrammed data."

Any ideas on the correct procedure to add this software to the box? Garmin wouldn't help, as the unit and software are not supposed to be compatible (but it obviously works as per the postings above).

Many thanks

C.

EN48
19th Apr 2011, 13:01
It is now possible to update system software and databases via an SD card rather than using a USB cable connected to a computer. Much easier and no need to remove the GPS from the aircraft! :ok: Details on www.flygarmin.com (http://www.flygarmin.com) and www.garmin.com (http://www.garmin.com).

robik1
19th Apr 2011, 14:15
Hi!

I am from Croatia. We bought recently garmin gps 695. The problem is that on the gps isnt any croatian city. do we need to buy some database to have cities or ???

Thanks!

Crieff-ite
19th Apr 2011, 14:16
Thanks EN48, I just decided to pop the sd card into the unit, switched on and hey presto, there it all was.

Point for all to note tho, if you update your 695 via sd card using the standard databases (new versions, obstacles etc), then it is just that, you upload to the 695 and the information is stored on the 695.
The information on the City Navigator NT however, remains on the sd card. Remove the card from the 695 and you no longer have access to the NT info. Pop the card back into the 695 and your good to go again :ok:

Knowing me and computers, I'm probably doing something wrong but it works :)

Cheers
C.

EN48
19th Apr 2011, 14:44
The information on the City Navigator NT however, remains on the sd card. Remove the card from the 695 and you no longer have access to the NT info. Pop the card back into the 695 and your good to go again

This is also the case for the Garmin Topo data. SD card must be in the GPS. It can be the same card that you use for updating providing the card capacity is sufficient. A 4 GB card shoulld be adequate for even the worst case(for Topo data); not sure about City Navigator.

FullTravelFree
8th May 2013, 19:54
Have Garmin Question.

After making a FPL and entering the airspeed, the garmin used to give me ETE and leg ETE, in planning mode.

I did the 2012 update and then it stopped doing so. When I'm flying everything works well, but I miss my planning fase ETE feature.
I also used to change the plan-speed, to check out time/fuel if I'd run into some strong headwinds.

Maybe someone knows, it might be a wrong setting...

FTF

FullTravelFree
10th May 2013, 19:39
...nobody noticed the same?

Okay, I'll ask Garmin.

JTN
8th Sep 2014, 11:21
Sorry to resurrect this one, but I'm hoping to learn from others' misfortunes rather than having to go through them all myself.

I bit the bullet last week and bought a 695, intending to put the VFR Jepp plates (Sierra) edition onto it. I (think I) bought all the right things - unlock key from Garmin, subscription from Jepp etc. I think I also followed the process correctly, used JSUM to download to SD card then install using the SD card. The end result was - nothing! I have the plates on my iPad, but not on my 695.

I called Jepp support. They used my username and password and came up with the same problem as I did. The issue, it seemed, was missing source files. They set me up an IFR subscription that they said should cure the problem - I now have very nice IFR approach plates on the 695 that I can't use as I am strictly VFR only, but no VFR plates.

Has anyone been through this recently? Have I missed something? I've emailed Jepp, but they haven't come back to me. Grateful for any assistance the forum can give.

Vertical Freedom
8th Sep 2014, 13:19
Wish they'd bring back the trusty ole perfect sized, bullet proof 495 :ugh:
Pleeeeeease Mr Garmin hear our call......:8

JTN
8th Sep 2014, 14:32
Having traded up from the 296, I love the size of the 695. I'm just frustrated the same problems that beset the early adopters 3+ years ago still seem to be there in the latest Garmin / Jepp combinations!