PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Broadband

PANDAMATENGA
5th Dec 2008, 22:31
I am operating Windows XP on my laptop and get Broadband from Virgin.Included in their package is PC Guard.
At least 4 times per week when I fire the PC up the PC Guard fails to load and the whole thing seizes up. Cannot even switch off using the "Start" button and have to power off completely and start again.
Naturally switching off this way, means often that Windows runs a disc scan on the restart and always seems to mention a file FAT32.It then boots up OK.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea of the cause??

Many thanks

Panda

Keef
6th Dec 2008, 00:12
FAT32 isn't a file, it's the way your PC stores files on its hard drive.

FAT32 is semi-obsolete (but still works). The newer version is called NTFS, but don't try to change it.

I've never heard of PC Guard, but there are dozens of anti-virus products out there. If it fails to work and causes problems, then I'd be inclined to remove it and use a different one. Most folk on here are fans of either AVG Free 8 or Avast. I use one on one machine and the other on the other. I haven't decided yet which I prefer. Both are free to private users, and both can be downloaded off the Internet.

To remove PC Guard, click Start - Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs, and select it.
Once you've removed it, restart your PC and go straight to the download site for AVG or Avast, download, and install.

Keep an eye on the service you get from Virgin Internet: their reputation with their customers isn't all that high (see here (http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php#)).
If it gets bad, moving may be on the cards.

PANDAMATENGA
6th Dec 2008, 19:45
Thanks Keef

I got an answer from another forum.It seems the bit that Protects from Identity Theft is what is causing the problem,I have disabled that and will see what happens.

Cheers

Panda

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Dec 2008, 20:59
More generally, the rule always used to be;

"Configure your access to your ISP manually. Never let the ISP's CD anywhere near your computer. Thereby avoid a world of grief."

Guess it applies to downloaded stuff as well these days.

Keef
6th Dec 2008, 23:12
Very true, GtW - but that may require more computer knowledge than the new customer possesses.

I've lost count of how many folks have asked me to help them set up their broadband or (more often) to get it to work properly. I keep a little spreadsheet in my batphone with the settings for the ones I've done - so next time, I know exactly how they work.

It includes such silliness as:
"What's the name format for the ADSL login?" It rarely seems to be the same as your "account name".
"Do you put the domain name after your e-mail ID to collect your mail?" Some do, some don't.

The "ISP install disk" knows that stuff. It's just a pity most ISPs can't resist the temptation to put other junk on at the same time.