PDA

View Full Version : Politicians

L1A2 discharged
5th Dec 2008, 20:13
Not entirely military aviation but one or two may like this:

One day a florist goes to a barber for a haircut. After the cut he asked about his bill and the barber replies, 'I cannot accept money from you. I'm doing community service this week.' The florist was pleased and left the shop.

When the barber goes to open his shop the next morning there is a 'thank you' card and a dozen roses waiting for him at his door.

Later, a cop comes in for a haircut, and when he tries to pay his bill, the barber again replies, 'I cannot accept money from you. I'm doing community service this week.' The cop is happy and leaves the shop.

The next morning when the barber goes to open up there is a 'thank you' card and a dozen donuts waiting for him at his door.

Later that day, a college professor comes in for a haircut, and when he tries to pay his bill, the barber again replies, 'I cannot accept money from you. I'm doing community service this week.' The professor is very happy and leaves the shop.

The next morning when the barber opens his shop, there is a 'thank you' card and a dozen different books, such as 'How to Improve Your Business' and 'Becoming More Successful.'

Then, a politician comes in for a haircut , and when he goes to pay his bill the barber again replies, 'I cannot accept money from you. I'm doing community service this week.' The politician is very happy and leaves the shop.

The next morning when the barber goes to open up, there are a dozen politicians lined up waiting for a free haircut.

And that, my friends, illustrates the fundamental difference between the citizens of our country and the *Members of Cornwall County Council (or whatever thay have decided to call it this week).

Vote carefully.

* insert group of your choice.

.[/SIZE]

Biggles225
6th Dec 2008, 10:01
Only a dozen?

Fitter2
6th Dec 2008, 16:25
I think Norwich County Council Housing Dept. are the group you may be looking for.

Housing officials evict elderly and move into their homes - Times Online (http://tinyurl.com/6c4olk)

Maple 01
7th Dec 2008, 16:34
Good old press though, don't let the facts get in the way, the place is due to be knocked down for re-development and there was a period of 6-8 months when the buildings were going to be standing empty, (builder couldn't get started when he said he would originally) for once NCC had a bright idea, let staff rent them at a nominal fee for a short let rather than having them empty with the associated vandalism ASB etc

Funny the journo fails to mention any of that

Fitter2
7th Dec 2008, 17:55
And why not let the people living in them continue? Or why not charge the counil officials the same rent?

The information that the council proposed shortly to demolish was in the press article.

Sorry, but it stinks.

Maple 01
7th Dec 2008, 19:12
Because they were moved to the new improved accommodation (not evicted) before the builder bothered to tell the council his work schedule had slipped, don't sign out the outrage bus until you know the full story - it's a good job the press don't do similar shock-horror reporting over non-events in the mil either....

And they are paying exactly the same rent.....facts laddy, facts

al446
7th Dec 2008, 23:46
Well said Maple. I deplore abuse of power but am thankful a council comes up with a reasonable solution.

As was said, pity press don't check the facts.

Thelma Viaduct
8th Dec 2008, 11:37
Just get to the point FFS, no need for a long drawn out post.

Politician = ****

Job Jobbed. :cool:

Fitter2
8th Dec 2008, 12:59
Because they were moved to the new improved accommodation (not evicted) before the builder bothered to tell the council his work schedule had slipped, don't sign out the outrage bus until you know the full story - it's a good job the press don't do similar shock-horror reporting over non-events in the mil either....

And they are paying exactly the same rent.....facts laddy, facts

Strange - the news item gives the precise rent paid by the previous single occupant (single occupancy only permitted), and the lower rent paid by the cohabiting council official.

The council has conspicuously not issued a press release refuting the alleged facts. Facts, laddy????

Actually, I think this thread deserves eviction, and rehousing in JB.

Maple 01
11th Dec 2008, 06:29
Haven't they? I think you'll find they have, strangely the Times seems not to have followed up the story, perhaps they don't feel they are accountable for inaccurate reporting. On the other hand you can continue to put your trust in the UK press because they wouldn't deliberately sensationalise a story to fill space and wind-up the gullible would they?

If the Times is going to print a retraction expect to see it on page 94 in font size 0 in grey, it might get missed off the website by 'accident' too

Oh and the rent? it's less the charge for the warden service, so not the same, once again, facts laddie, facts

Fitter2
11th Dec 2008, 06:47
I will happily believe you if you can post a reference to the council further information- one would normally be available.

I have no personal axe to grind on this, just limited experience of local government, some of whose officials and elected members appear to believe that their function is to serve themselves rather than the community - others have been dedicated and underpaid, the same sort of mixture one finds in every walk of life.

I assume you also have no personal connection.

Riskman
13th Dec 2008, 23:19
It was obviously all above-board as the head of housing has been suspended and staff ordered to move out. Failed The Sun test, I think:=

BBC NEWS | England | Norfolk | Cheap homes staff told to leave (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/7780581.stm)

glad rag
14th Dec 2008, 08:58
Nice use of sarcasm Riskman, :ok:

Well done the Times Journo's let's hope this gets national coverage Prime time.

Biggus
14th Dec 2008, 09:36
First of all I don't have an axe to grind on this issue, I am not trying to defend or attack anyone. However, in terms of the BBC article provided by the link that Riskman posted, reading between the lines there a couple of possible points of view.....

1) The phrases ..."staff told to leave"..and.."given notice to leave".....(deliberately?) give the impression that they are bad boys and girls and are being thrown out for having transgressed. However, it goes on to say that they were ..."given notice ahead of demolition".... Could this mean that it was a routine notification to ensure vacation ahead of the demolition, which would have happened anyway, and they have not actually done anything wrong?

2) The fact that the Head of Housing Services was suspended on full pay also implies that the person involved is at fault. However, could it be routine to suspend on full pay any council member under investigation? Could it be, given the fact the issue has made the national press, that the council wants to be seen to be whiter than white in terms of any investigation? Could it be that the investigation will ultimately find that no wrong doing has taken place?

minigundiplomat
14th Dec 2008, 16:09
What is the collective term for politicians?

Is it a 'sleaze' of politicians?

or maybe....

a 'whitewash' of politicians?

or a 'spin' of politicians?

Beatriz Fontana
14th Dec 2008, 16:22
As Bismark once said, "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

arandcee
14th Dec 2008, 20:02
What is the collective term for politicians?

A 'bunch of ba***ds' I think.