PDA

View Full Version : Virus Fails to remove

gehenna
5th Dec 2008, 13:41
Folks

I use Norton, which recently advised I had trojan.Brisv.A!inf. I downloaded the romoval tool, but upon re-running Norton it says I still have the virus. Ran the process again, but still the same outcome.

Would any of you computer experts have any idesa?

Thanks

G

green granite
5th Dec 2008, 14:27
Try re-starting the PC in safe mode and re-run the removal tool.

x213a
5th Dec 2008, 16:56
What is in your startup items on msconfig? Services running etc?

Can you identify where it is stored?

I recommend winpatrol for keeping an eye on those areas as most viruses/malware are said to be manifested there.

I am not an expert though! I am still learning from my own mistakes:)

Tarq57
5th Dec 2008, 23:00
Not a lot of tech info at the Symantec site about this one. I did find some success stories.
They involve disabling system restore (turn it off), restarting in safe mode, run the removal tool again, check the registry and remove the following key (if present) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\PIMSRV
Restart in normal mode, run a virus scan, enable system restore again.

I'd try green granite's simpler version first, and if that fails to remove it, try the steps above.
An additional tool that may be effective (it's extremely good) is MBAM. (http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php) This is an anti-malware scanner. Install it, update it, then run a scan.

PS, apparently it converts any media files in .mp2 or mp3 format to .wma format, increases their size by 1138 bytes, then causes the media player to link to a malicious link if those files are played. Worst case scenario, you may have to loose some of those files.

It was possibly contracted by allowing/instructing the media player to download "required" codecs. Ring a bell?

gehenna
6th Dec 2008, 05:04
Thanks so much for your advice; am away for a couple of days, but will come back if I need your further good ideas, and reply to questions you posed.

G