PDA

View Full Version : Unified Communications & Firewalls

jimtherev
5th Dec 2008, 10:05
I’ve just acquired & started to use Microsoft Communicator, which has varied reviews, but should do what I want it to as I move to Unified Comms to communicate with far-flung family.

However, there’s a snag. The thing connects, then on video calls, after a variable period of time, usually < 10 seconds, bombs out because the router’s firewall thinks I’m living dangerously… thus, lots of reports on the routers log of this type:
UDP Packet - Source:ww.xxx.yy.zzz,25467 Destination:aa.b.c.d,17875 - [DOS]

Doing a bit of Googling, I understand that video conferencing typically uses a lot of UDP ports. However I’m very reluctant to open them all – after all, a firewall is there to protect me…

What do I do next? Any suggestions?

Saab Dastard
5th Dec 2008, 11:12
Use the registry to specify the port or part range:

Description of the Windows Messenger client basic protocol port usage for instant messaging, file transfer, audio, and video (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903056)

Audio and video

Audio uses a pair of User Datagram Protocol (UDP) ports for a Real-time Protocol (RTP) stream to transmit data. Video uses Real-time Transport Protocol (RTCP) to control the session stream.

By default, the ports that are used are dynamic. However, the ports can be controlled through Group Policy registry settings.

SD

mixture
5th Dec 2008, 12:12
Never used the software and never will. Opening inbound ports for the benefit of Microsoft software is generally to be avoided. :ok:

However, how about using program exceptions in Windows Firewall, that way the ports are only open for Communicator to use....

Office communicator and Windows Firewall - 0 to 60 in a fortnight (http://blogcastrepository.com/blogs/0_to_60_in_a_fortnight/archive/2007/02/23/office-communicator-and-windows-firewall.aspx)

OR .... better still....

Use a VPN between locations :cool:

jimtherev
5th Dec 2008, 18:04
Thanks t'ye both. i'll print out both pages & ponder. Also report back:)
Jim