PDA

View Full Version : Stories of your past- Hangar Flying

PatMcgroin
5th Dec 2008, 08:12
Hi Folks,
My name is Steve Rowe and I am a thirty plus year pilot, (I feel like I am at an AA meeting, it has been two days since my last flight!)
Recently my son entered into flight training at Ft. Rucker. His decision to do so has made me realize two things, stupidity may be hereditary and how much I learned from my days when I was hangar flying. Some of the stories made me laugh and some enlightened. Some may have even saved my life! In relating some of my almost forgotten flights, blunders and adventures I have come to realize that we are a small industry that has a lot to pass on. I have noticed that I am losing some of the details of the past with the passage of time. In that spirit I would like to ask for stories that you would wish to relate, and preserve. I will attempt to collect them to see if the next and possibly last generation of helicopter pilots could learn and perhaps laugh a little. I am sure that it will provide a lot of perspective and some history.
If you could try to keep it around ten pages or less, that would be great, then it should not outstretch my limited attention span. If there is a good response perhaps we might even get it published.
We may be in the twilight of the helicopter pilot as we know it. The future pilots may well be similar to current train engineers and our history may be lost. Perhaps we can record some of it.
You can submit it to [email protected] ([email protected])
Thanks a lot and I hope you have fun reflecting on your past.
Steve Rowe

SASless
5th Dec 2008, 12:08
Pat,

It is not a flying story....but get your mate JJ to tell you the story of a night ambush patrol in Mozambique gone awry when a herd of elephants waltzed through the NDP one night.

He is quite a guy JJ.

Also.....you got a former crop duster with you that tells a very good yarn about his last crash in a duster....the most senior trainer at your place.

PatMcgroin
5th Dec 2008, 13:52
I see a beer front coming! I will do just that... I know the duster story...I need to hears JJ's he's a hoot...If you have a tale drop it in, I would love to hear it.

SASless
5th Dec 2008, 15:12
JJ's account of his rise and fall in the trucking business is a hoot too.....he tells a good yarn amongst his many other talents.

PatMcgroin
8th Dec 2008, 12:17
You guys are usually good for some great threads, any cahnce you can relive some of your tales for ther new kids?