PDA

View Full Version : Strange numbers at the end of a METAR

Captain Smithy
5th Dec 2008, 07:22
Have never come across this before... so it has me intrigued.

Looking at the METARs this morning I noticed that the Newcastle METAR has an odd set of numbers at the end (have underlined them below)... here it is:

EGNT 050750Z 26008KT 8000 -RA FEW020 BKN028 02/00 Q0979 25290095

Anyone know what it means? I can't recall seeing them in my Met study book or my exam. Have never seen this at all before so I am interested as to what they mean!

Regards

Smithy

DarkSoldier
5th Dec 2008, 08:21
This is a runway report. In this particular case:

25 - runway 25
2 - wet/puddles
9 - deposit of 51-100%
00 - depth of deposit < 1mm
95 - braking action good

DS

Maoraigh1
5th Dec 2008, 09:15
Irrevelant to this thread, but, while I could access this by clicking on the "last post" box, since yesterday evening I cannot get "Private Flying".
Every other forum I've tried displays O.K.
Windows Vista with IE, automatically updated.
This is the only way I could find to try to alert a moderator.

Captain Smithy
5th Dec 2008, 09:19
Thanks for that DarkSoldier.

I have had similar problems Maoraigh1. Not sure what is going on.

Smithy

DarkSoldier
5th Dec 2008, 09:26
Makes 3 of us...

It seems that only the first page of this forum is not available:

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying-63/

But I still manage to get to the second page:

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying-63-2.html

Weeeird :confused:

moonym20
5th Dec 2008, 09:36
very stange indeed... it started for me yesterday when i tried to look at the second Tigers for Kids thread... then i couldn't access the PF forum at all for a few hours.. now every topic can be read... expect any topic connected to Tigers for Kids :eek:

somthing smells fishy :ouch:

BRL
5th Dec 2008, 09:55
Hi guys. Bit of a tech problem that has us all scratching our heads here. It is being looked into as I type. No idea what it is or how long it will be here for!!

As for the lack of forum access being related to a certain thread, get real chaps, I would simply remove the thread rather than have anything else like this. :rolleyes:

moonym20
5th Dec 2008, 10:33
BRL:

sorry, i was pointing out... hopefully to help yourselves

at my end i can access every forum, every topic, however on here (PF) i am able to access every topic other then those already mentioned... i also belive a topic has already being raised about it? - one must admit it seems wierd

jxc
5th Dec 2008, 11:31
I am having the same problem all though have relised that if you dont log in you can access private flying with no problems

vanHorck
5th Dec 2008, 12:22
sorry about this.

Indeed one can read page one of private flying if logged out.

Strange thing is the entire (hot and long) thread about the highland flying school seems to have disappeared.....

Moderator, could the flying club have anything to do with this technical issue?
:ugh:

BackPacker
5th Dec 2008, 13:22
If I were seriously pissed off with the PPRuNe coverage of my organization, I guess it would just be possible to inject some funny HTML or SQL code into a post on one of those threads which would either wreck the PPRuNe code or database, or cause the users browser to hang. In fact, if that funny code could be inserted in the title of the post, it would probably already cause problems if you try to load a forum page.

If I were a moderator or maintainer, the first thing I would do is look at the raw data that's being stored in the database entries in the relevant forum and threads, and look for anything that doesn't look like plain text.

Then again, I'm sure the same thing has occurred to the PPRuNe moderators and maintainers.:ugh:

But it remains odd that the problems seem to be related to one forum only. And before that, to one or two threads only.

bilhar
5th Dec 2008, 14:47
it some thing to do with w.i.n.c.o. last post i will change it a bit before i paste
to stop it locking up

A,b.s.o.l.u.t.e.l.y. f.a.s.c.i.n.a.t.i.n.g. s.t.u.f.f.; e.x R.A.F t.e.s.t. p.i.l.o.t n.o l.e.s.s!.! a.n.d a B.A .p.i.l.o.t. a.l.s.o.!.! (.w.o.n.d.e.r w.h.a.t h.e. f.l.e.w.?.?.)

I.s. t.h.e.r.e. a.n.y.t.h.i.n.g. o.i.u.t. t.h.e.r.e. t.h.a.t o.u.r. M.r. M.a.t.t.h.e.w.s. h.a.s.n.'t d.o.n.e.?.?.

the link is totaly corrupted it interesting no post from w.i.n.c. he possable been locked out by some software attack

BRL
5th Dec 2008, 18:22
Moderator, could the flying club have anything to do with this technical issue?

I don't think so unless they have their own hacker brought in to do this but that is a bit extreme and we would have spotted the dodgy code if they have done this.

The guys at vBulletin are having a good root under the bonnet at the moment so hopefully something will come up soon.

Can I just say no-one has 'forced' the site to do this over something written in any particular thread at all, I can promise you that right now.

vanHorck
5th Dec 2008, 19:11
good luck to the vBulletin guys

I hope the mods will tell us what it was when it's all sorted

veryyyyyyy curious!

west lakes
5th Dec 2008, 19:56
Hmm interesting

Went into this thread when logged off, logged on with thread opened and it has given me the reply page.

But it wouldn't let me do the same at the forum level.

Nibbler
5th Dec 2008, 20:34
would you credit it... finally have a weekend of good weather, actually have a spare seat available for a total of 3 different flights tomorrow SAT 6th DEC and the forum goes down! Noooooooo!

In case someone asks or is interested...

Bournemouth to White Waltham (6.30 - 7.00am) and back. Then a 3 hour flight to run an engine in (about 10am) from Bournemouth with your or my choice of airfield to visit for lunch. Then Bournemouth to Fairoaks around 2pm. Total flight time around 6 hours so a little tight for time, as such you must be prompt! PM me if interested. Students / Spotters welcome. Oh and there are no costs at all for you to pay (or landing fees) but a coffee and a bacon something at lunch would be appreciated! :)

Good luck to the VB people!

clareprop
6th Dec 2008, 07:25
The evidence seems to be mounting that there is some form of problem with the "thread that cannot be mentioned".
There is a roundabout method of getting into the posts but as has been said, if you are successful and then try to go into the Private Flying Forum logged-in, you get slowdown/lock-out. To fix this, logout to clear cookies.
Good luck Pprune peeps..it seems that you are under attack...I wonder why...?

liam548
6th Dec 2008, 13:27
Have never come across this before... so it has me intrigued.

Looking at the METARs this morning I noticed that the Newcastle METAR has an odd set of numbers at the end (have underlined them below)... here it is:

EGNT 050750Z 26008KT 8000 -RA FEW020 BKN028 02/00 Q0979 25290095

Anyone know what it means? I can't recall seeing them in my Met study book or my exam. Have never seen this at all before so I am interested as to what they mean!

Regards

Smithy

I asked the same question yesterday. Some good links were posted to explain them

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/334007-taf-translation-newbie-3.html