PDA

View Full Version : Spammed by myself!

Wing Commander Fowler
4th Dec 2008, 20:44
Hi again chaps,

am running windose mail and use the junk filter for email. Keep adding new w*nkers to it but they just keep coming.......

Problem I am getting frustrated by are the ones that come from my email address as its hard to effectively block these. On all others I am able to see which domain they originate from in the header. Then I mostly just ban the domain. When it appears to come from me I Can't actually determine who the sending domain is and so to play safe (not to ban a friend or major domain like hotmail) I can only add sender (not domain) to the blocked list.

Q

Do I have a worm? Does someone else who has my address have a worm? How can I identify the actual perpetrator? I have tried looking at the message details/source and it seems to show just server paths etc.

What to do?

Saab Dastard
4th Dec 2008, 21:04
Couple of recent threads here (http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/352007-spam-puzzle.html)

SD

frostbite
4th Dec 2008, 21:38
I use a bit of software called Mail Preview before I download anything.

It shows you the headers and even lets you read the message without downloading it. Then you can delete it or download it with Tbird or whatever you use.

seacue
5th Dec 2008, 00:30
I use Mailwasher, which lets one examine headers and even content. One can then delete the message on the mail host without ever downloading it.

Keef
5th Dec 2008, 11:38
I route all e-mail to spammed accounts via Spamcop, with SpamAssassin set to 3.
Works on 99.9% of all known germs, including those that forge me as the sender.

Wing Commander Fowler
5th Dec 2008, 15:34
Thanx guys - I just downloaded spamaware which seems to utilise spamassassin. At least it says so and I stumbled across it via a google search for spamassassin!

I'm hoping you don't have any bad experiences of this? It certainly seems to be finding stuff for the moment...... :eek: