PDA

View Full Version : Jump Seat rides, Flight Deck Visits, Where do us enthusiasts stand ?

WW1018
4th Dec 2008, 12:26
As of next year, Im going to be traveling alot more, to Europe on Aviation Photography trips with friends, But ive always wondered how pilots are about jump seat rides these days, Some Airlines are more 'happier' so to speak to have the odd enthusiast have there dreams come true and have a jumpseat ride to observe the flight from the cockpit, Ive always been a little bit well nervious about asking the captain if it is possable for a seat in the cockpit, I travel with airlines like Flymonarch, flybe, BMI Baby, Thomsonfly, First Choice on short to medium hops around europe, I'd love to get some views from other enthusiasts and most importantly what you pilots think to us asking for a flight deck visit and possibly a jump seat ride.

Thanks.

Mike.

Final 3 Greens
4th Dec 2008, 12:40
WW1018

You are unlucky, as pre 9/11 it was not unusual to be invivted to visit the flight deck en route.

Since then, the UK DFT ruled that it must stop on UK airlines, like those you mention.

You may be able to get a visit before or after the flight.

Sorry to disappoint you.

bucket_and_spade
4th Dec 2008, 13:08
As has been said, cockpit visits by members of the public during flight are now impossible. You'll have to become a pilot or cabin crew or a least work for an airline and have been security-screened to get a look :bored:

In my company (and I'm pretty sure others have a similar policy), you can stick your head in on the ground when the engines are shut down. Unless there's a significant delay we're too busy before departure to have any visits but you might be able to stick your head in for a minute or two after the flight - bear in mind that the pilots may have had an early start and a long day and might not want to hang around for a long time though!

I'm new to the job and enjoy brief visits by pax (mostly kids) after we're parked up on stand.

Bealzebub
4th Dec 2008, 13:34
In the cabin I am afraid.

This letter (http://www.dft.gov.uk/foi/responses/2005/jul/securityrules11september2001/letteraboutthesecurityrulesa2332) may help answer your question.

FairlieFlyer
5th Dec 2008, 06:52
and from a pax POV, I'm also pleased sundry pasengers also cant go a have a look-see midflight

while I'm sure your intentions are well meaning, theres too much at stake recalling the BA flight to Nairobi in 2001 and a few other examples

Final 3 Greens
5th Dec 2008, 08:06
Fairlie Flyer

Although I understand your point of view, I feel that the benefit to many many thousands (including a lot of children) was far greater than the odd incident like the nutter en route to nairobi.

It was a sad day when flight deck access was removed.

Although I am not a professional pilot, I have taken quite a few kids for rides in light aircraft and experienced at first hand what a magical experience ot was for them.

Rainboe
5th Dec 2008, 10:18
Well from a pilot POV, I'm glad the days of visits are over. You don't get much more idea of what is happening from the flight deck than from a cabin window. Most kids just don't understand, and go all shy and quiet. I've had visits where I've come to realise the visitor is actually quite hammered, others asked 'to bring their son up' and come up holding a young baby.....that has filled its nappy! I've had hysterical women laughing and shrieking up, and people who just want to bitch about their treatment by the airline. Unfortunately the ones who see magic in it are very few and far between.

Sorry folks, the flight deck of an aeroplane moving at 500mph is no place to show 'hospitality' and engage in small talk. It is a working environment, and one that in an instant can turn very sour. I've had an engine fail whilst 2 visitors were on the flight deck and conversation was in full swing, and I was the only one to hear it. Those days are gone, for many obvious reasons. I am not even allowed to have my own wife or brother or son on the flight deck. It is not a recruitment aid or hospitality suite- it is a working environment where things can go wrong in a flash. Maybe only experienced pilots can understand this.

heidelberg
5th Dec 2008, 17:15
Rainboe - you're 100% correct in everything you state.

If someone is really keen go along to your nearest training establishment and pay for a local 30 minute 'jolly'.

Final 3 Greens
5th Dec 2008, 17:21
Maybe only experienced pilots can understand this.

Interesting quote, as several of your colleagues have said on this board, in the past, that they regret the passing of flight deck visits.

However, I guess it is a matter of personal preference for professional pilots.

G SXTY
5th Dec 2008, 17:50
Personally I am more than happy to have visitors to the FD before or after the flight. I'm enthusiastic about my job and love it when visitors (young and old) share my enthusiasm.

Pretty much all my colleagues feel the same way - that's why we fly for a living. The only time we'd have to say no is on a very short turnround, when we're up against the clock and usually playing catch up.

Always worth asking the cabin crew.

Leezyjet
5th Dec 2008, 21:43
cockpit visits by members of the public during flight are now impossible.

That isn't true. It is still possible on certain airlines in certain parts of the world, even with-in Europe too by 'eck :eek:

:)

Contacttower
5th Dec 2008, 23:13
That isn't true. It is still possible on certain airlines in certain parts of the world, even with-in Europe too by 'eck http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/eek.gif

Which ones exactly?....for example what would be chances on board a domestic South African flight? (pre-9/11 been into the flight deck of 737-800 and Dash 8 in SA).

beamender99
7th Dec 2008, 12:41
You are unlucky, as pre 9/11 it was not unusual to be invivted to visit the flight deck en route.

Yes how things have changed.

In the past I and my wife have both experienced a jump seat for a Concorde landing ( by invitation ).

On one occasion when returning from YYZ I visted the front office to watch a fantastic display of the Northern lights. When I returned to my window seat I continued to watch the amazing display with a cushion around my head to shut out the cabin lights. A short while later I got a gentl prod in the ribs. It was the FO commig through the cabin to see if anyone was awake and would like to sample the view up front as the crew had never seen such a fantastic display.

Yes how things have changed.

TightSlot
7th Dec 2008, 16:00
I'm sure that some airlines do still permit visits, although both the US & UK authorities would take a dim view of this on flights through or into their airspace: May we avoid a discussion of who does and doesn't here please, for what I hope are fairly obvious reasons.

Herod
7th Dec 2008, 16:06
Jump Seat rides, Flight Deck Visits, Where do us enthusiasts stand ?

"Sarge, how do I stand for a spot of leave?"

"You don't son, you grovel"

Doors to Automatic
7th Dec 2008, 20:13
I did get onto the flightdeck once, well post 9/11 - super airline and very friendly crew. We were heading across the pond to New York of all places!

AKAFresh
10th Dec 2008, 23:34
Listen guys and gals the bottom line is... if you want to see the flightdeck then DON'T be scared to JUST ASK!

Of course visits restricted to ground only (UK and US airlines mostly)... but best time to do it is after the a/c has landed and parked on stand, just wait until everyone has disembarked and then ask the cabin crew. Or if the cabin crew are friendly enough then ask inflight whether they can ask the pilots if once on the ground a visit would be possible.

To all those wannabee flightdeck visitors BEWARE: I was shocked to hear one flight attendant I was working with during a turnaround told me that when passengers ask to see the flightdeck on the ground she ALWAYS says NO without even asking the pilots, and that she thought it was weird that people wanted to have a look. :ugh: I thought that was crazy, I mean so what if they want to visit the cockpit!!! We are drilled to death with security head to toe at the airports and for good reason I guess.... but its getting ridiculous when we start getting suspicious of people just asking to have a quick view of the front of an a/c while on the ground!!!! There's security and there's just plan nonsense.

So as a pilot who would always say YES to visits along with most of my colleagues I would suggest; make sure you ask one of the more friendly cabin crew or better still ask the senior cabin attendant or purser rather than any flight attendant because the junior ones tend to just say no without thinking.

Just remember if you don't ask you wont get a chance and the worst your going to get is a 'No'.... in that case theres always the return trip! :ok:

Good luck folks and I look forward to showing you the Christmas tree lights! :)

All the best.

AkA.

spikeair
12th Dec 2008, 11:26
I too miss visting the flight deck but since 9/11 for obvious reasons, I don't even ask now.
However the visits spurred me on to get a PPL so now I can do some flying myself . So if you are really interested and don't currently have a PPL, I strongly suggest you go and get one, it will be a very interesting and rewarding experience.
Another option, although not a cheap one , is to pay to fly a simulator. Virtual aviation provide this but be warned, its £600 per hour! Very easy to get addicted though!

aviatordom
13th Dec 2008, 20:28
I agree that it's a great shame that the days of in-flight visits are long gone.

I've only been in a flight-deck en-route once and that was in 2000, when i was just 6 years old so i hardly remember anything.

Anyway, it's always worth asking after the flight. I started doing this on the last 2 flights that i went on, both times i have been successful.

The first was in the flightdeck of a BA 747 after a flight from JFK. The very friendly crew seemed more than happy for me to sit in the flightdeck. I was in complete amazement as it was the first time i've had a proper look inside a cockpit.

The 2nd time was in an A319 deck. Wasn't in there for long (1 min max) but the Captain kindly gave me a few sheets of paper about our enroute weather.

In general, jsut ask if you can visit after the flight!

TightSlot
14th Dec 2008, 08:28
WW1018 - that seems to have answered your question. While new posters are always welcomed, those that have read the FAQ before posting are even more so (there is extensive coverage of this question on that thread)