PDA

View Full Version : EasyJet - Christmas Crackers in Hold?

FirmamentFX
4th Dec 2008, 11:25
Hi guys,

I found a news article using Google that states that EasyJet allows Christmas Crackers to be carried in the hold as long as it is mentioned to the Check In staff.

On further investigation, that news article was from 2003!

Are there any updated regs regarding this? My Mum loves her John Lewis crackers :ok: I've looked on the EZY website but can't find any pertinent information.

Many thanks!

FFX

raffele
4th Dec 2008, 18:39
I can't find anything on the Easyjet site - a search for crackers comes up as them being prohibited items (i'm thinking they're not talking about christmas crackers!)

Airlines tend to say you can take them in the hold provided they are commercially made, still sealed in original packaging. BA have a 2 box limit.

Best thing to do is send Easyjet an email - that way if the answer is no, you don't have the disappointment of binning them at check in

CornishFlyer
4th Dec 2008, 22:55
Ok, I've just looked in our Operations manual and the following information is provided:

Permitted in or as carry-on baggage? YES
Permitted in or as checked baggage? YES
Permitted on one's person? YES
The approval of the operator is required? NO
The pilot in-command must be informed of the location? NO

Additional notes: Christmas crackers: 2 boxes per pax provided they are packed in the manufacturers original packaging. Novelty items contained inside must not include prohibited items

Therefore, yes, you will be able to check them in to go into the hold. Although they would even be permitted in the cabin, I wouldn't personally risk it in case security take them off you when you get touched up, ahem, I mean when you go thru the checkpoint ;)

Hope this is of help

ZFT
5th Dec 2008, 04:41
Mrs ZFT (against my advise) tried to bring some back from LHR. Declared them to security who said NO.

Would appear that (at LHR) irrespective of airline rules, security will not allow them.

CornishFlyer
5th Dec 2008, 09:16
easy don't fly out of LHR so that's ok but most security staff will probably be the same regardless :p

lurkio
5th Dec 2008, 09:29
As said above, ops manual says yes but website appears to say no.
Here is the customer services number for baggage enquiries, give them a call.
0871 244 2366 (calls cost 10p per minute; calls from mobiles and other networks may cost more)

Hope it all helps. Let us know what they say will you.

raffele
5th Dec 2008, 13:03
Or if you don't want to pay 10p a minute, say no to 0870 has the number 01582 700036 listed...

Bealzebub
5th Dec 2008, 14:01
Speaking more generally, I think there has been a change in the classification of Christmas crackers within the dangerous goods criteria. It used to be that they were allowed in retail packaging either in the hold or in carry on baggage. Now they are not allowed to be transported in either.

TopBunk
5th Dec 2008, 15:25
Mrs ZFT (against my advise) tried to bring some back from LHR. Declared them to security who said NO.

Would appear that (at LHR) irrespective of airline rules, security will not allow them.

The original poster asked if they were ok in the hold. That being the case there would be no reason to declare them to security, check in maybe, but not security:ugh:

As to any changes to general procedures or restrictions I will check next time I am at work (my home documentation does not go into enough detail).

frontcheck
5th Dec 2008, 15:34
seem to remember an MDN from BAA saying they were not allowd through security, so I guess it depends on which airport you are leaving from.

ZFT
6th Dec 2008, 07:11
Top Bunk,

Sorry, should have expanded more. She enquired whether they could then go in checked baggage and was told NO.

TopBunk
6th Dec 2008, 10:12
ZFT

Sorry, but security do not determine airline policy! Your wife should have asked the airline, not security.

FirmamentFX
6th Dec 2008, 10:35
Thanks for the replies guys!

I will call the number to check (despite the ops manual saying yes).

Will post back when I've spoken to them.

Cheers,

FFX

Dropline
8th Dec 2008, 07:08
Easyjet website says crackers are not allowed in cabin or hold luggage.

FormerFlyer
8th Dec 2008, 09:09
Answer (http://easyjet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easyjet.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=32&p_created=1074082327&p_sid=UwbPOQkj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ 9MiwyJnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9 zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1jaHJpc3RtYXMgY3JhY2tlcnM*&p_li=&p_topview=1)

Just not sure if that's Christmas crackers, or some other sort.

cheers ;)
FF

Gerontocrat
8th Dec 2008, 14:56
This is the FAQ answer I copied from EZY's website last year:

Last Updated - 25/07/2007 12.41 PM

No more than two (2) boxes of Christmas crackers may be taken onto the aircraft, and only if in the manufacturer's original sealed packaging. Christmas crackers containing novelty items that are prohibited in hand baggage (http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html#baggage) must be checked in to the aircraft hold.

It is not allowed to carry party poppers onboard the aircraft in any location.

Please note that if you are travelling via London Stansted Airport that Christmas crackers are not permitted in hand luggage, and must be checked into the hold at all times.

However, I note that, this year, there is no FAQ on this subject, and all attempts to send an e-mail requesting clarification under "Contact Us" have so far failed.

Mod edit - legibility & formatting