PDA

View Full Version : windows installer folder 15gb in size!!!

pauli
3rd Dec 2008, 23:01
I've recently been watching my c: drive available memory dropping, on closer inspection the windows installer folder is 15gb in size and increasing!!! I've googled my problem with no real answers and researched the installer folder. As far as I can make out it is simply a backup for every program you install and if I delete the whole thing there will be no real consequences to my system, will there??????

jimtherev
4th Dec 2008, 18:58
No, you won't suffer any probs to you running programs. However, there is the odd occasion when - say - MS Office gets corrupted. (Had that happen a time or three: something to do with my trying to fix summat that wasn't broken, probably.) At that time, you will get the Office God suggesting you might like to repair...or you might make that decision for yourself.

At that point, it's great to watch Windoze look for, find, and reinstall your software for you. Saves finding the cd, fighting the machine for the right place to look - you probably have done this from time to time, & know that sometimes it's a bit frustrating.

But ok, your choice!
Jim

Saab Dastard
4th Dec 2008, 19:11
To be on the safe side, create a complete disk image of the system before starting.

Then delete what you want, test all your apps (and what happens if you want to remove & reinstall) and then decide if you want to restore your image or stay as you are.

When I want to do that sort of testing, I usually acquire an additional disk of the appropriate size and type, take the disk image, swap the disks over and put the old image on the new disk, thus leaving the original disk untouched.

Belt, braces, chewing gum and baling wire!

SD

bnt
4th Dec 2008, 20:01
Try running Disk Cleanup (under Accessories / System Tools), which should safely deal with that and a lot of other stuff. However, beware of "Compress Old Files" unless it's a fast PC.

pauli
4th Dec 2008, 22:25
I've run regcure and ccleaner which have got rid of over 1000 files and seemed to have speeded things up a bit, unfortunately they only knocked off 100MB or so. I think I'll take SD's advice and back it up to my external hard drive then wipe the lot....fingers crossed!

Saab Dastard
4th Dec 2008, 22:28
Pauli,

Backup is good, but I was referring to a complete disk image, using Ghost or True image or some such. This allows a complete and exact restore or replication to another disk.

Can't do that with a simple copy!

SD